PVC feeder tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PVC feeder tubes

Slapped these together and put 2 up today. Can't wait to see how long they stay full. They held 15-20lbs. Of corn and strapped on tight. Gonna get a camera on them Friday to see if the hogs climb the tree and empty them.

Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 09-30-2014, 02:40 PM.

was thinking of building some these too. shouldnt the output be angled up so the corn dosent just flow out ?

Comment

I would think that the corn would just empty out as fast as you pour it in without something blocking it. I used a Y fitting instead of a Elbow.

Also, I had a hog that learn how to get up and get the corn out.
      Attached Files

Comment

There's actually a cap inside you can't see I drilled two large holes so it pretty well stops where u see it

Comment

10-4, I dont imagine a cow can get their nozzle in there ? Im going to try anyway. Dang cows !

Comment

Originally posted by expressfish View Post
            10-4, I dont imagine a cow can get their nozzle in there ? Im going to try anyway. Dang cows !

Tongue, maybe

Comment

This one is a 4" tube so it might be close but they can definitely get there tounges in there

Comment

I have put some together that are pretty similar to those except i mounted the pvc on to a plywood base. They lasted on the shortest about 2.5-3 days but deer were at them the majority of the night and day.

Comment

I can probably neck it down to 3" and the deer can still get at it. Cool deal on the cheap. Ive got a tripod set up on a game trail but didnt want to put another barrel feeder out, I think this will fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                    I would think that the corn would just empty out as fast as you pour it in without something blocking it. I used a Y fitting instead of a Elbow.

Also, I had a hog that learn how to get up and get the corn out.
                    I built mine like yours, however I found a shower drain at Lowes that was a perfect fit below the Y. The shower drain would hold the corn, yet let water drain through. I had issues with coons climbing the tree it was strapped to. To prevent this, cut a 2"-3" in diameter tree about 24" above the ground. (like the one just past the hogs ear in your picture) Then I would set my PVC pipe feeder over this cut off tree. The tube was too slick for them to climb, which stopped the coons from emptying it so quick, plus it wasn't strapped to a tree so they couldn't climb it.

Comment

Originally posted by expressfish View Post
                      I can probably neck it down to 3" and the deer can still get at it. Cool deal on the cheap. Ive got a tripod set up on a game trail but didnt want to put another barrel feeder out, I think this will fit the bill.

Check out this discussion. I posted a few videos of similar stuff. I imagine you can cut the edge of the elbow and boil it to turn it up for a lip also I have seen that on one instead of a screen or any extra hardware to buy. You can always buy a cap to put on it and cut whatever slot or hole or whatever out of it to try and keep cow tongues of it lol.

Comment

i made one last week also used 4" pipe w/ 4" T. i found 4" "knockout" caps from Lowes and cut out small opening to control the flow of corn on mine works pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                          I built mine like yours, however I found a shower drain at Lowes that was a perfect fit below the Y. The shower drain would hold the corn, yet let water drain through. I had issues with coons climbing the tree it was strapped to. To prevent this, cut a 2"-3" in diameter tree about 24" above the ground. (like the one just past the hogs ear in your picture) Then I would set my PVC pipe feeder over this cut off tree. The tube was too slick for them to climb, which stopped the coons from emptying it so quick, plus it wasn't strapped to a tree so they couldn't climb it.
                          Hmmm pretty slick idea. I was talking to a family friend over the weekend and he was telling me about glueing some i think they are called tack strips that you use when you lay carpet down, on the feeder tubes or legs and coons wouldnt climb them.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            I made my with that Y but capped it at the bottom of the Y. I drilled a bunch of drain holes in the cap for the water to drain. I added the bottom part after the hogs were emptying it out every night. I needed to get it off the ground, so I cut about a 2' piece and glue a coupling on it & secured it to the tree. The feeder part just sets in the lower part. So when I needed to fill, I just pulled the feeder off the lower stand, filled, and set back up.

Comment

I found some pictures of mine. The feeder is held by a tree I cut off about 2' above the ground, then set the tube over.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X