Short Recurves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Recurves

I have been looking for a short recurve for quite some time, I have had a few in the 48-52" range. I had a 70# Jefferey Mighty Mag that would smoke a heavy carbon arrow. I shot it well. I had a few Shakespeare, a Bear Super Mag and Kodiak Mag. The limbs on these bows seemed spongy never really liked shooting them. I cam across a Check Mate Raven it is tillered perfectly smooth as silk, it is 45# but never hunted with it! I got my PSA from BW and that was my dream bow but it was 58" long and the string would hit my leg in a tripod or tree stand. In June I got my first longbow a 62" BW PL 57@27,I think this bow will be my Elk Bow in the mountains. The other day I got my PSR its 56" and 43@27. The length makes it stable enough, but short enough that I can sit on the ground to turkey hunt, sit in a tripod and a popup blind. I shot it at BassPro and grouped nice from the 20 yard and from the back wall which was around 30 yards. Well question is what bow is short enough to do what you want?

58 is short enough for me. I've never shot a herters style bow so I really couldnt tell you about the 48-52 recurves . My 58's suit me fine in a tree, tripod, pop-up, or on the ground stalking.

Shawn

Comment

Well, I have 3. My longbow is a Lost Creek and is 52"s tip to tip and my new to me recurve is a Black Mountain Shaman static tipped 3 piece and is 49&1/2 "s tip to tip. Both shoot GREAT and I love both of them. I also have a Sarrels Wildcatt that is 54" that is a great shooter! Yes, I love short bows!

Comment

That PSR when it breaks down its shorter than an arrow.

Comment

I prefer short too. This year I am hunting with a home made 54" recurve (AMO, its 55" T to T strung). Even with a 29" draw, finger pinch does not hamper my shooting at hunting ranges.

My next glue up out of that form, I intend to reduce the laminate taper a little and pike the ends down for an even shorter pop-up bow.

Steve

Comment

^^ That bow is a good lookin' piece of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
              ^^ That bow is a good lookin' piece of work.
              Why thank you, Ma'am. I spent all morning shootin in the new string and re-tuning. That material (D97?) we used is definitely a whole lot quicker, quieter, and overall better shooting than the old B50. Or maybe it is just Arvin's mojo... Either way, its really spitting them out now!

Comment

If you're interested in short recurves, look into some Mongolian Horse Bow designs. They are really neat, and very short for the amount of energy they store.

I'm sure there are some builders here stateside, but most of the ones I've ever seen come from Europe and Asia

Here's one site that has them: http://www.horsebows.com/index.htm

I've wanted one for years, but have never committed to buying one. It'd be interesting to learn to shoot off the other side of the riser as well.

Comment

The pch is offered in 54" as well as the bob lee 3 piece

Comment

I wanted a takedown but the PCH is available at 56" at my drawlength, so I opted for the PSR its a sweet bow

Comment

Working...
                    X