Sandhill crane hunting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhill crane hunting question

Is it better to go with a lot of cheaper silosock or silhouette decoys or fewer high quality full bodied cranes?

We hunted for them on the 2nd and the outfitter had 3 dozen full body dekes. 10 man limit!

Comment

slick, who did you use and where?

Comment

I've hunted over 10 dozen sillosocks probably 50 times and shot limits 10% of the time and most of the birds were 50 yards high. Hunted over 2 dozen deceptions 15 times so far and shot limits every time on birds all under 20 yards.

IMO 1 dozen deceptions > 10 dozen sillosocks.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
          We hunted for them on the 2nd and the outfitter had 3 dozen full body dekes. 10 man limit!
          Slick have y'all been killing any birds up in Knox City?

Comment

We use both. It all depends on pressure, type of field you are hunting, weather conditions, etc. It sure is nice to just put up a few full bodies though instead of all the socks, silhouettes, etc

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
              slick, who did you use and where?
              I believe it was tejas h2o, my son booked the hunt. It was the 2nd of January in Lubbock. 4 degree weather and no wind made the birds weary but we scratched out a limit.
              Windy days you'll do lots better.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                Slick have y'all been killing any birds up in Knox City?
                We've only done one hunt and if we shot better we would've done real well.
                Have a group on the 12th and 13th... son is scouting now and meeting with landowner to show him some new fields.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
                  We've only done one hunt and if we shot better we would've done real well.
                  Have a group on the 12th and 13th... son is scouting now and meeting with landowner to show him some new fields.
                  Good luck hope y'all smoke em!

Comment

does anyone have a photo of one?

Comment

I've hunted over 10 dozen sillosocks probably 50 times and shot limits 10% of the time and most of the birds were 50 yards high. Hunted over 2 dozen deceptions 15 times so far and shot limits every time on birds all under 20 yards.

That's over $1000 right there. I guess I need to start lobbying the other lease members to ante up.

Comment

Same experience here. If I had the opportunity to hunt cranes on a consistent basis, I would spend the extra coin on stuffers or deceptions.

I won't go on a guided trip for cranes if they're hunting over socks unless it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
                          does anyone have a photo of one?
                          Attached Files

Comment

It's so nice not having to call for them too! We hid in corn stubble in A frames and tumble weed.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              That's over $1000 right there. I guess I need to start lobbying the other lease members to ante up.
                              Everyone buy 3. If you buy 2 dozen at one time deception decoys will give you 15% off.

Comment

Working...
                              X