Laguna Atascosa suggestion box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa suggestion box

Did anyone that attended the Laguna Atascosa Refuge hunt this year put any suggestions in the suggestion box?

Last year I put a couple of suggestions in the box. One was that the season should be longer and the second was that they allow the tripods to be set up during the scouting.
    To my surprise at the beginning of the year 2 of the personnel from the refuge went to our archery club meeting and wanted to hear from us. I live in the Rio Grande Valley which is where the refuge is and they were actually pretty interested to hear from us, they were there because of the lack of interest/input from the hunters. It was at this meeting where we talked with them and made several suggestions. Again, according to them they were amazed at how few suggestions they did get compared to the # of hunters on the refuge hunt. Anyway they pulled out the suggestions and asked what we thought. At first no one wanted to say anything and me not be one to be quiet or shy about asking questions "why not make the season for archery longer"? and they said they would consider it and that is when one of the guys put in his .02¢ and said or make it two seperate hunts. Hence the 2 week hunt that is now going to happen. (They almost went for making a month long).
    When it came to my other suggestion about allowing us to put up our stands before the hunt they said they would also consider it. This did not happen according to the rules and regulations for this years hunt.
    On Nov. of this year our club we had our annual Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner and one of the guest speakers we had was the manager of the L.A. N.W.R. After his speech I approached him and asked him about allowing the hunters to put their tripods in before the hunt instead of on opening day. His reply was No. it is not fair to hunters from out town (of the area)it gives the local hunters an advantage. I spoke to him for about 45 minutes just trying to convince the guy and he was pretty adamant about not doing it, he went as far as saying that it would have to be in a few years after he retires. Then I asked him if he bowhunts he said no, do any of your employees bowhunt he said that he wasn't sure but he wasn't aware of any. Then I challenged him in a polite way and offered my equipment to use it just to walk in with a bow, arrows and a tripod for just one hundred yards on a nice even paved road and it didn't have to be at night neither. He then thought for a moment and said well we might have to make some kind of consideration and see what can be done (I am paraphrasing). After giving him a break I went and finished dinner with my family and @ the end of dinner another member and friend of mine was talking to the manager about the same subject. My friend suggested to allow the hunters to put their tripods in the day before opening day. That suggestion he liked a little better.

Sorry this is so long winded but if you didn't make a suggestion it may not be to late, if your going to attend the second hunt of the refuge please make the suggestion if you think it would benefit your hunt. You could also e-mail him at the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge, I am sorry but I don't have his e-mail address but I will try and get it and post it.

Thanks for your time,
    Rchr

I guess I missed the suggestion box. Ill have to look for it in a couple of weeks. Rchr are you a memeber of G.E.F.A. or what ever the name of the club is now? I have been meaning to renew my membership. How about a tram running though each unit so you could get a ride in and out?

Comment

Suggestion Box

Look for it or ask for it and put in that suggestion, by all means.
      Yes, I am a member of the G.E.F.A., as a matter of fact I am the acting president for our club this year.
      We will try and have another meeting with the Laguna Atascosa manager or personnel. SneakyPhil come on and renew your membership. Sneakyphil how do you feel about being allowed to put in our tripods before the hunt? I wish the others from out of town could fill in.

Comment

I side with the refuge manager on this one, letting people put stands in early would definitely benifit the locals. Simply because most of the out of town guys would still be trying to get set up opening mourning and thus pushing the deer to the guys who had already set up and were quietly waiting in thier stands. I think the fact that everyone is going in at the same time trying to get stands set up opening morning benifits everyone, I mean those deer opening mourning don't know which way to go they are usually going everywhere trying to get away from the hunters. Of course a confused deer is an easier target. If guys were setting up thier stands the day before the hunt I think it would actually make things worse because the deer will have already felt the pressure from the none hunting guys just setting up stands and therefore be more allert and holed up in the thick stuff they like to hide in when the pressure is on. I think that the rush and work to try and get set up opening mourning is part of what makes the Laguna hunt what it is. I know it sure led to building a whole lot lighter and compact stand in my case.

Comment

I think that they should let us set them up durring the scouting period. Aransas has a deal where if you attend a meeting or something you can set up your stands durring the scouting period. I dont feel that we shouldent be allowed to do it just because the out of town folks cant. If you follow that line of thinking, then we shouldent be able to scout because people from out of town cant. It would be nice if they would plan the hunt around the moon fase.

Comment

Setting up during the scouting period would be okay if you could stop people from stealing your stand. Over the years I have had to leave my stand in 8 because the road turned to mud and was closed. Twice left, twice stolen before the I returned the next year (#1 problem with a light tripod). I used to scout every year but after the first few years I found it wasn't necessary. If I could set up my stand I guess I would have a reason to make the trip down. It would also be nice for the refuge to have an archery proficiency test during the scouting week that everyone must pass in order to hunt. The proficiency test sure would cut back on the number of unproficient (trying to be nice) hunters.

Comment

Laguna

A proficiency test has been suggested but it would be difficult to administer. The question would come up, Are the rifle hunters required a proficiency test?

Unfortunately the home field advantage can never be eliminated ANYWHERE.
              Home field advantage is a fact of life. The main reason I and others want to be able to put in your tripod before opening day is to lighten and quiet the load.

The theft of tripods is unfortunate but it does happen. Sorry to hear that it happened to you onthetake. It is also a concern that the manager voiced. I told him that we are all aware of the risk and that we were willing to take that risk, I told him that I for one would lock my tripod w/ a cable and lock around a tree.

The fact that we have to carry our tripods in either on foot or bicycle is why we have made some very light tripods, not that we have to take them in on opening day. Of the 6 tripods I own I have two tripods that I can use for the refuge hunt. One is a short tripod (4')that weighs about 14lbs seat and all. The other is 6' and weighs in at 12 pounds with out the seat.

If you feel that being able to put your tripod in before the hunt then suggest it.

Comment

You could also do what I have seen other people do, just leave your tripod there the whole year. I am just jokeing of course. I have found one tripod in the same general location over the past two years. The swivel on the seat is rusted together its been out there so long. I know its being used becasue it has been moved each year but is still in the same general area. I dont agree with proficency test. It would just be more red tape that you have to go thru.

Comment

Working...
                X