No announcement yet.

Taxi lost shoulder mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I do my OWN European Skull Mounts ...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      Ranch = store
      Store charges customers for specific grades of animals at rates associated directly with each grade
      eg. 130 class deer = $2000
      140 class deer = $3000
      150 class deer = $3500
      160 class deer = $5000

This system alone has assigned a value to the animal.

ie. customer paid $3500 for the animal you entrusted the Taxi with.
      Taxi loses the $3500 animal.
      Taxi is responsible for replacing the monetary value of the $3500 animal.

as I see it.
      Who knows what a small claims court judge may decide, but I think ^^^this^^^ would be a good approach to take as a plaintiff. Maybe even get notarized statements from at least three ranches as your three "estimates." Also have some official P&Y scorers give professional opinions on the score from photographs. You have to give the judge something to base damages on, otherwise they're just going to wing it. More than likely the judge winging it is not going to be in your favor. You need to present very tangible evidence and a logical argument.

Ranches usually have some sort of base fee just for the experience, even if you kill nothing. Then if you kill, that money goes towards the kill fee. Logically, your damages would only be the difference, since you already had the experience.

All of the above is just my layman's opinion from watching court tv! I hate that this happened to your cousin. But it's a very interesting situation and I hope you'll let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Man I hate reading about stuff like this. I sure hope your cousin is successful in getting either the antlers back, or monetary retribution for his loss

Comment

I think if you were to try and recover costs in court, given you said the cape can be retrieved, you might be awarded the value of the antlers. For instance, you can buy a set of 140" antlers on Ebay any day for around $200.00. All the defendant would have to do is show the magistrate the value of the lost item. He has the meat, and hide and experience so he is only entitled to the value of what was lost.

Comment

Man, this is crazy. I don't see it turning out well for anyone.

Comment

I think with the inability to determine a price value of the experience and memories made during the hunt, the best thing the taxi could do would be to use his connections in the hunting world to set up the guy with an all-expenses paid hunt for a buck of a similar caliber. You can't recreate the original deer or the memories made shooting it, but you can certainly pay for him to get another quality deer and new memories. Then mount that sucker for him for free (while letting him keep the antlers during the process).

Comment

I would think that the loss of a valued item such as these that have no real set value would been the same as pain and suffering in an injury case. The only one that can establish that value is previous cases or the accuser.
                A set of antlers from a hunters first deer are similar to a family heirloom. Sure you can find a replacement at a certain cost but the personal value has no set monetary value.

Comment

I would think that the kill fee would need to be reimbursed at least, if on a game ranch. As far as the hide and horns, it all depends on quality, location of kill, score ect. Hides are like anything else. You can get whatever you want for them. It's all about finding the right buyer. There's no set market on hide or horns that is set in stone selling them by the inch or whatever else. What would happen if someone went on a guided goose hunt, killed a neck banded goose, took it to the taxidermist and it came up missing? I know it's completely different but pretty much the same.

Comment

Quickly looking through the comments and didn't see this mentioned, but is it legal for terminated employee to be in possession of the cape/rack (ignoring the fact that he stole it). You and the shop may be able to get the game warden involved if that's the case and there is enough evidence to get the warden to go give him a call.

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but has the name of the taxidermy shop been mentioned? Sounds like he needs to be burned publically. Losing people's trophy's is pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
                        Maybe I missed it, but has the name of the taxidermy shop been mentioned? Sounds like he needs to be burned publically. Losing people's trophy's is pretty bad.
                        You didn't miss the name... you missed the part where I said I was not looking to burn anyone until they were given a chance to make things right. I cant imagine any taxidermist losing something intentionally. Its a bad deal on both parts so im def not looking to make it worse. Was just looking for previous experiences and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                          You didn't miss the name... you missed the part where I said I was not looking to burn anyone until they were given a chance to make things right. I cant imagine any taxidermist losing something intentionally. Its a bad deal on both parts so im def not looking to make it worse. Was just looking for previous experiences and advice.

That's understandable. Hope for a good outcome for all. Maybe if things take a turn for the worse and nothing gets settled you can update us all so we know who not to use for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You know, it's totally possible they just put the wrong tag on the antlers. Or maybe they didn't get tagged at all and found their way into the pile of miscellaneous horns that all taxidermists (me included) seem to have somewhere in the shop. I would think the best starting point would be to make a trip over there and just look through everything they have, in person. I'm sure they would be agreeable to it. No need to drag the law into it just yet, or set anyone on fire, gouge out their eyeballs, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                              You know, it's totally possible they just put the wrong tag on the antlers. Or maybe they didn't get tagged at all and found their way into the pile of miscellaneous horns that all taxidermists (me included) seem to have somewhere in the shop. I would think the best starting point would be to make a trip over there and just look through everything they have, in person. I'm sure they would be agreeable to it. No need to drag the law into it just yet, or set anyone on fire, gouge out their eyeballs, ect.
                              I agree with this. If they aren't found at that point I would probably consult a lawyer on what the next step would be and I hate lawyers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                                I agree with this. If they aren't found at that point I would probably consult a lawyer on what the next step would be and I hate lawyers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                                As long as it is under $15,000 (I believe) it can be handled in small claims court.

Comment

Working...
                                X