School Safety and my perspective!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After all the school shootings we have had lately, I am going to give you my perspective as a school teacher or employed by a school district since December 2012.

First and foremost, in my honest opinion, they ARE NOT AS SAFE AS MOST THINK!

The most vunerable that the schools are in is in the very early part of the morning when the main doors are unlocked form Central office at anywhere form 7:30 until 8:00 or later. At this time and at the 2 schools I have worked at, even with staff at the doors, there is NO WAY that a staff member can recognize ALL the folks that bring their kids into a school. Both have been in Elementary and I am sure this is the same at middle and high schools in the district I work in.
    At this time, ANYONE could walk in with a backpack, duffle or like this shooter in Santa Fe, a long coat and be carrying who know what weapons, go hide in a faculty bathroom or possibly a vacant room that is not locked and start to commit carnage once the doors have been locked and school starts. At what times did the Florida and Santa Fe shooting start, EARLY in the morning as student are arriving and getting ready for class. As far as I know there are no armed officers at any school, possible, but I do not know of any and I do not think there are any metal detectors in any school in this district, maybe, but do not think so.

How is any of these schools like this safe at this particular time?

After the doors are locked, you either have to have a district issued badge to get in or you have to ring a bell to get in the front door where I am at currently, badges do not work here. BUT, I do not think anyone actually looks to see who wants to come in and not sure what they say to get in. I do know I have said as I went to visit my old school a couple of weeks ago when I rang the bell was that I was here to visit and the door was unlocked. No one recognized me or even looked for all I know.

These shooting have been avoidable for the most part, but not by eliminating guns. There are a lot of common sense approaches to stopping these shooting, but I am not sure many people have any common sense anymore. I am in a portable building on the south side of my school where the doors are unlocked all day with no boundary fence around these buildings. How am I safe since I spend 99% of my time in this building.

Am I way off base, do I make any sense and what are your thoughts?

You make perfect sense. Thanks for the "insider" perspective.

Comment

If it takes 1hr or 2 hr to visually inspect every kid and parent every morning then so be it. Each person entering the school must be approached in some manner from here on out.
      You must arrive at the airport 1-2 hours early to get on a plane.
      If anyone bitches about the hassle... run them off

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        After all the school shootings we have had lately, I am going to give you my perspective as a school teacher or employed by a school district since December 2012.

First and foremost, in my honest opinion, they ARE NOT AS SAFE AS MOST THINK!

The most vunerable that the schools are in is in the very early part of the morning when the main doors are unlocked form Central office at anywhere form 7:30 until 8:00 or later. At this time and at the 2 schools I have worked at, even with staff at the doors, there is NO WAY that a staff member can recognize ALL the folks that bring their kids into a school. Both have been in Elementary and I am sure this is the same at middle and high schools in the district I work in.
        At this time, ANYONE could walk in with a backpack, duffle or like this shooter in Santa Fe, a long coat and be carrying who know what weapons, go hide in a faculty bathroom or possibly a vacant room that is not locked and start to commit carnage once the doors have been locked and school starts. At what times did the Florida and Santa Fe shooting start, EARLY in the morning as student are arriving and getting ready for class. As far as I know there are no armed officers at any school, possible, but I do not know of any and I do not think there are any metal detectors in any school in this district, maybe, but do not think so.

How is any of these schools like this safe at this particular time?

After the doors are locked, you either have to have a district issued badge to get in or you have to ring a bell to get in the front door where I am at currently, badges do not work here. BUT, I do not think anyone actually looks to see who wants to come in and not sure what they say to get in. I do know I have said as I went to visit my old school a couple of weeks ago when I rang the bell was that I was here to visit and the door was unlocked. No one recognized me or even looked for all I know.

These shooting have been avoidable for the most part, but not by eliminating guns. There are a lot of common sense approaches to stopping these shooting, but I am not sure many people have any common sense anymore. I am in a portable building on the south side of my school where the doors are unlocked all day with no boundary fence around these buildings. How am I safe since I spend 99% of my time in this building.

Am I way off base, do I make any sense and what are your thoughts?
        I think you are off base. Not in your thought process of trying to not just throw your hands up and quit however.

I would like to know your common sense approach to stop any of these incidents.

It may be possible to limit the number of victims. Maybe.....

Comment

I was a police officer in a high school for 15 years.

There is no clear answer or remedy for these.

Terribly sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Should be the same process as entering a court house. Not a big deal once everyone gets used to the routine, they do it every day at the Harris county courthouse. It sucks but if it keeps our kids alive then so be it.
            They have to fence in all the campuses and limit the entrances.
            Kinda the same common sense security requirements they required for storage terminals and plants in the wake of 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              I think you are off base. Not in your thought process of trying to not just throw your hands up and quit however.

I would like to know your common sense approach to stop any of these incidents.

It may be possible to limit the number of victims. Maybe.....
              Armed security guards at the doors open in the morning and afternoon and meatal detectors. And leave them on campus during the day. Since I am n a portable building that none of these will be added to, let me carry after training even though I have a LTC and know how to use them. Very common sense.

Comment

Armed security guards at the doors open in the morning and afternoon and meatal detectors. And leave them on campus during the day. Since I am n a portable building that none of these will be added to, let me carry after training even though I have a LTC and know how to use them. Very common sense.
                Please explain to me how you think I am off base since I see this everday during school? I would like your thoughts.

Comment

If you have metal detectors and inspections at an entrance, it will.create a bottle neck. Nut job only has to get into the parking and open fire.

Comment

Please explain to me how you think I am off base since I see this everday during school? I would like your thoughts.
                    Safest school in America. A 6A high school with 2,500 students and no one gets in without confronting police officers. A kid wants revenge on anyone in the school because he wasn’t treated fairly but he is locked out. No problems, right?

So the kid sits across the street and at 3:20PM the final bell rings. A minute later 800 of the 2,500 students literally pour out at the bus stop side of the school. The shooter across the street has a Glock 17 with one 33 round magazine and two 17 round reloads. In about 40 seconds he pumps 68 rounds into the kids at the bus stop in about 40 seconds. We have 8 dead and 23 wounded..... at the safest school in America.

Or at the same school.... kid gets off the bus first with no backpack or trench coat. He pulls out the same package deal from an apoendix carry holster and starts blasting in the bus where kids are trapped and also some outside. The cop at the door realizes what is happening and shoots and kills the shooter within 30 seconds. Due the close range but short time frame, only 21 students are hit but 14 die.

Care to go on?

Do you really think you can stop someone with time to plan his attack?

Comment

Same deranged kid gives up on trying to get himself a gun so he drives to school, parks his car and goes into class... end of the day, he returns to his car, but instead of getting in and driving home, he gets in his car and starts running down people in the parking lot, on the sidewalks and at the bus lot... In less than 2 minutes it's over with just as many dead and injured... not a shot fired...

This is a very complicated problem with not one simple solution to take care of all issues. The weapon of choice is not the issue. The person is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Same deranged kid gives up on trying to get himself a gun so he drives to school, parks his car and goes into class... end of the day, he returns to his car, but instead of getting in and driving home, he gets in his car and starts running down people in the parking lot, on the sidewalks and at the bus lot... In less than 2 minutes it's over with just as many dead and injured... not a shot fired...

This is a very complicated problem with not one simple solution to take care of all issues. The weapon of choice is not the issue. The person is the issue.
                        Thank you very much.

I have seen so many answers on so many forums. A metal detector or an armed officer or retired vets or whatever will stop this.

Really?

I just watched a video of the "safest school in America" in Indiana. It has smoke bombs and video cameras in the hallways and bulletproof classroom doors. They show an armed intruder (actor) enter the school with a rifle between classes and he can't do anything as it is locked down during class periods and the smoke keeps him from seeing 2 feet in from of his face. Of course they didn't show what would happen if he waited until class lets out at the end of a period and kids all rush out of class into the hallway to get to their next class, all the kids would now be trapped in the smoke and the shooter could just pump rounds downrange at kids that now can't get away.

No wait, a shooter wouldn't think of that..............

Sorry folks, I think we can spend millions at each school and not solve a dedicated person that has time to plan. I would love to hear some great answers but don't think I have heard them yet. I do think we can minimize injuries by some suggestions but stop it?

Comment

I am very bless that my son Clay is still with us today. We have been through the ringer today and I'm sure this is just the beginning. I cant even begin to understand the emotions of the 10 other victims families that didn't make it. My prayers are with them for peace and comfort. My biggest fear in the days to come is what a political freak show this will turn out to be. None of this has anything to do with politics. Left or right, Republican or Democrat , guns or no guns; none of it means a hill of beans if people dont start raising their kids right. Parents nowadays sit their kids down in front of a Tv and let a video game raise thier children, then wonder why stuff like this happens. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir but a little more preaching is whats needed. Making sure your kids know our lord and savior would put a end to these senseless thing. Thank you all for your prayers, they were greatly appreciated. I'm running on fumes and need to get some rest, it's been a long day. Hug your kids.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            I am very bless that my son Clay is still with us today. We have been through the ringer today and I'm sure this is just the beginning. I cant even begin to understand the emotions of the 10 other victims families that didn't make it. My prayers are with them for peace and comfort. My biggest fear in the days to come is what a political freak show this will turn out to be. None of this has anything to do with politics. Left or right, Republican or Democrat , guns or no guns; none of it means a hill of beans if people dont start raising their kids right. Parents nowadays sit their kids down in front of a Tv and let a video game raise thier children, then wonder why stuff like this happens. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir but a little more preaching is whats needed. Making sure your kids know our lord and savior would put a end to these senseless thing. Thank you all for your prayers, they were greatly appreciated. I'm running on fumes and need to get some rest, it's been a long day. Hug your kids.

Hoggslayer
                            Prayers up for your son, your family and all of the other families dealing with this senseless and horrific tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              If it takes 1hr or 2 hr to visually inspect every kid and parent every morning then so be it. Each person entering the school must be approached in some manner from here on out.
                              You must arrive at the airport 1-2 hours early to get on a plane.
                              If anyone bitches about the hassle... run them off

People don’t fly every single day. A 2 hour addition to every kid’s school day is not realistic. Not to mention creating a mass of people bottlenecked at every school entrance this happens.

These are never going to stop entirely. We do need armed security and limited access to schools. All the metal detectors in the world are useless unless there is someone right there with a gun that can put an ultimate end to someone attempting to shoot up a school.
                              Last edited by kyle1974; 05-19-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X