Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Trap

Does anyone know how to build a large hog trap? Not the conventional box trap but one built into the ground. Like the shape of a 6 or a tear drop? Id appreciate any information yall can throw at me... thanks

Here is a picture of the "6" shape. All you need are t-posts and panels. Are you trying to keep these hogs alive or is this an elimination project?
    Attached Files

Comment

i took a 16ft trampoline frame and turned it up side down and wrapped with catle pannel make sure its 5 ft tall and used heavy duty hose clamps with a door that i made it works really good

Comment

Originally posted by ccupit View Post
        i took a 16ft trampoline frame and turned it up side down and wrapped with catle pannel make sure its 5 ft tall and used heavy duty hose clamps with a door that i made it works really good
        no pics but thats how we used to do it. Actually have a trampoline I am waiting for the canvas to get bad on now!

Comment

Yeah that picture looks good. i wanna keep em alive to eventually sell. So the hogs will push open that panel no problem?? How deepyou drive those t-post in the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by ghenson82 View Post
            Here is a picture of the "6" shape. All you need are t-posts and panels. Are you trying to keep these hogs alive or is this an elimination project?
            have used this one, works well

Comment

They will fill it up and won't get out with that design.

Comment

Awesome ill give it a shot in the next couple weeks and get back with some results and pics. Thanks guys

Comment

That is awesome. I'm gonna try that as well. Do you just put a pile of corn in the middle??

Comment

how does the '6' design trap work? I have never seen that before.

Comment

It works like a minnow trap. They "funnel" their way in (pushing on the gate)and then cant get out because the pannel closes behind them (spring-loaded).

Drive those t-posts pretty deep if you can. Hogs are stronger than they get credit.

When we trapped, we would throw a lot of corn inside and some corn outside of the trap. Then when we had them inside the trap, we backed the truck up to the panel and roped their back leg and pulled them up one at a time. I'm not sure how you are planning to transport them, but you may want to have that planned out when you build the trap. i.e., have another gate/door on the trap that you can back the trailor to?
                      Last edited by ghenson82; 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Don't be conservative on the the numbers of t-posts that you use. If they find a weak spot in the paneling between posts, they will get out. I would say drive in your t-posts till they are flush with the height of the paneling. My .02 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ghenson82 View Post
                          It works like a minnow trap. They "funnel" their way in (pushing on the gate)and then cant get out because the pannel closes behind them (spring-loaded).

Drive those t-posts pretty deep if you can. Hogs are stronger than they get credit.

When we trapped, we would throw a lot of corn inside and some corn outside of the trap. Then when we had them inside the trap, we backed the truck up to the panel and roped their back leg and pulled them up one at a time. I'm not sure how you are planning to transport them, but you may want to have that planned out when you build the trap. i.e., have another gate/door on the trap that you can back the trailor to?
                          Did you ever have any problems getting cows in there? How big of a trap are we talking? 4-5 panels or more?

Comment

See this thread...

Comment

I MADE ONE THAT WAS 120FT AROUND!! i PUT A DEER FEEDER ON A TREE BRANCH THAT HUNG OVER THE TRAP AND I ACTUALLY PROPED THE DOOR OPEN WITH A STICK 2 OR 3 FT LONG AND AS HIGH AS I THOUGHT I NEEDED TO GET A BIG HOG TO HIT IT SO IT WOULD LET THE SMALLER HOGS IN AND OUT AND WHEN THE LARGE HOG WENT IN IT WOULD HIT THE STICK AND SHUT THE FLAP ON THE TRAP. THEN AS OTHER HOGS CAME AROUND THEY WOULD ROOT THEIR WAY INTO THE OTHER HOGS AND FEED BUT COULD GET BACK OUT! NOTHING BETTER FOR BAIT THAN A FEW HOGS IN THE TRAP!!

Comment

Working...
                              X