FFL question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFL question

Has anyone had any experience getting their FFL that doesn't own a store front?
    I'm wanting to get mine but have heard it can be sometimes difficult if your dealing in a home as compared to a shop. I'm not really wanting to spend the money to just be declined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone?

Comment

I had one.

My shop/garage where I did my work was considered my business.

For instance, there needed to be a lockable storage in that area and stayed in that area to house the FFL required items.

My house is where I had my "personal collection" which was required to all be logged. The two areas are not to cross.

What is in your FLL log book better be in the "shop"
      Whats in your Personal collection book better be in your house

Hope that makes sense
      Last edited by TXHUNT3R; 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Not difficult to get.

If you are truly in it for the business and not to enhance your personal collection or help a few buddies out, then you will get approved, provided you do not live in an area that has zoning or HOA rules that prevent home businesses. When they (ATF) interview you, they will want to see your business plan and will expect you to know what to do about sales tax & record keeping.

There are not much margins in guns, especially right now, so do not expect to get rich. I would say 80% of the stuff you can find on slickguns or gunbroker will beat your wholesale price... pretty sad when you can buy retail cheaper than wholesale, but it's a volume game and the big boys (Buds, PSA, KY Gunco, Sportsman's Guide, etc..) are the "Walmarts" of the industry and make it difficult for the small guys to compete.

Unless you are at your house when the UPS or Fedex guy arrives, you will have a difficult time receiving shipments since they will all require sigs. Makes it a little tough if you work a day job and just do it as a side gig.
        Last edited by duckmanep; 08-03-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Also, make sure you speak with your homeowner insurance agent about running a firearm business out of your house. Many people lose their coverage or have to buy additional business liability coverage.

Comment

I've been doing this since 2007...you are not going to have any problems with ATF. They want you in the business to be profitable & keep good records.

Biggest hassle is making sure you can get all the correct permits to run the biz from your home be it city or county as ATF will not give you the Lic until you comply with all local, state, etc. First step is making sure you can get your conditional use permit to work from home/non commercial zoning. Some cities are gonna fight this.

You can call your local batfe office & make a visit to go over all the items you will need to comply on the front end as well. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Like stated, very rarely can I compete on prices as a small fish in a big pond through distributors...you have to do big buy ins to get any sort of decent margin on new firearms. I focus almost entirely on consignments & do a little dabbling on certain collectables & a few transfers for folks I know.

Good luck...if you move forward, I recommend setting up your biz as an LLC & not a sole proprietorship simply due to the nature of the goods & litigious world we live in.

Comment

Good info guys. Keep it coming if there is anyone else

Comment

Yea and NO.....fairly easy but check your city's ordinances.....as many have restrictions that could hinder you. FFL owner technically runs a retail business and some communities have restrictions to this and will not even allow you to do consignments or transfers

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X