No announcement yet.

Who has been shafted by a taxidermist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve only ever used myself and Chance Love. I can be an idiot sometimes but Chance Love is consistently awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
      I’ve only ever used myself and Chance Love. I can be an idiot sometimes but Chance Love is consistently awesome.

My son and I met Chance last Friday to pick up a Euro mount he did for my son. Chance is a very nice guy. He was friendly and professional, and spent time talking to my son about his experiences in the field as a guide and taxidermist. He did a very nice job on the Euro mount for my son, plus he gave us the TBH discount - handy for a college kid who has to count his pennies carefully. We saw other mounts he was working on in his shop, and we were very impressed with the quality of his work. Also, he delivered the mount on target, on time, and at the price quoted. Sorry for the poor photo - thankfully I'm better with a rifle than with a camera.

Regards,

Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

David Hogan. He passed away 4 years ago...
        Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
        I lost a triple bearded turkey I was having a full body mount on to a taxidermist in Woodsboro a few years back. It was the second and best bird I have taken with my bow in Brooks county. Same scenario as others, after leaving him half the deposit and numerous phone conversations over about a three year span he finally fessed up and said he lost it. His name was David Logan.
        Last edited by Rack Ranch; 04-16-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
          I tried somebody closer to my house this year
          Wish I wouldn’t have
          Decent work but not what I was used to

Comment

Shot a fox a few years back and dropped it off to Double D taxi in Rockwall. Fox was shot with a 30-06 so as you can imagine it was blow up pretty good for the exit wound. I specifically asked can you fix this and he said no problem. Called a year later and asked if my mount was done he said hes getting to it in the next few weeks. Call 3 weeks later and he said hes trying to fix it. After that never heard back about my "messed up" fox pelt, deposit, or supposedly full body fox mount. Guess he couldn't fix it. Wasn't to worried about it only left $100 on deposit but still principle of the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              I use one of two people and have for years. Never had an issue and sometimes find myself surprised by the turn around. I killed an elk a few years ago and when I dropped it off, I joked that I needed it by Christmas. Two days before Christmas I got a call to come pick it up. Frank Tudor in Conroe or Ricky Overall in New Caney have treated me OUTSTANDING over the years. I've use B&S Taxidermy in Eagle Lake a few times with the same results. I guess I've just been lucky enough to hire good quality, honest people to do my work.
              Tudor has done 3 of mine and a few of my FIL and BIL's .
              Great guy, small shop, and great work.

Comment

Dropped an axis buck off back in December of 2013. Waited a year and gave him a call. Said he had medical problems or something. So waited another 6 months and said he is just about through with it. Said he will give us a call in 3 weeks. 4 months go by and no call so gave him a call. Said hair was falling out when he went to stretch hide over mold and that he was looking for another hide but that he wasn't going to charge the other half once he finished. Never heard back from him we called several times and no answer. This was black feather taxidermy and the guys name was Paul czaja

Comment

Twisted X Taxidermy
                  Ronney C. Perry
                  Floresville Tx.

Do not use this scum bag. Great post hopefully this can help keep someone else from loosing there hard earned money and trophy's to these dirt bags.

Comment

My first ever animal that I took in to get mounted when I was 12 and had enough money to pay for it myself did not come back to me. It was a full plumage blue wing teal. I called the guy at the one year mark to see what was going on and he stated that I had already picked it up for the DU Banquet. (I was 12 no way could I have picked it up ) Got a bird back two years later that was a drake but looked like a hen That was really disappointing.

Comment

I have only shot one banded bird in my life, it happened to also be my first specklebelly goose. Long story short, I paid a 50% deposit to Brett Parker at Maverick Taxidermy and that was the final time I saw that bird.

I know all professions contain a few bad apples, but taxidermy seems like the tree is loaded with rotten apples. Luckily, White Oak Taxidermy is one of the good ones and gets all my work now - especially with how this beauty turned out.

Comment

I’ve done two euros for myself that have turned out pretty well. Still haven’t been successful with my attempts at tanning. Sounds like my track record is pretty equal to paying someone else to do it.

Comment

If you fellers in SETx need a good Taxi, let me know and I will turn you on to mine. Excellent guy to deal with, does professional work.

Comment

Count me in on the shafted group.

My wife had an old mallard from her late father that we decided to get “upgraded”. We asked the taxi if they could make the mallard look much better and they said yes.

A cheap piece of wood, some paint and some fake feathers later, the taxi said we owed $120+ on the changes. The bird looked like crap (although it did before), but the taxi shouldn’t have taken on the project and charged me that much if they couldn’t perform. And they sure as hell didn’t.

Oh well.

Comment

Who has been shafted by a taxidermist

Never been shafted.

Only use 2 taxidermist and I went to high school with both of them.

Ricky Overall for Mammals.

Lowell Shapley for Fowl.

Lowell doesn’t do birds full time anymore so his turnaround time isnt great, but the quality is 2nd to none.

Last edited by Mayhem; 04-18-2018, 03:52 AM.

Comment

I did not read all post.

In my opinion, leave the least amount of deposit allowed. I once paid 100% up front and it took over 2.5 years to receive mount.

Comment

Working...
                                X