Do utility trailers have a title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do utility trailers have a title?

I have a lightweight 5x10 utility trailer with single axle. I'm selling it but now can't find the title. Someone told me that only trailers over a certain weight have titles...but I'm almost positive I had a title at one time.
    Maybe it was just the weight certificate.

Thanks.

mine just had a registration. no title.

Comment

when i was looking into getting the one i have, all that is needed is a bill of sale. then the new owner needs to register it in their name

Comment

I don't believe it would need a title. I built a 5x10 a few years back and had no trouble getting a plate or selling it later to a brother in law. He hasn't mentioned anything regarding getting new tags so I assume its not an issue on a trailer of that size.

Comment

registration only.... I have transfer several with just a bill of sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            I'm selling it but now can't find the title.
            I cant believe you lost the title!

Unbelieveable!
            Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
            l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
            ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
              I cant believe you lost the title!

Unbelieveable!
              Registration only.

Comment

"Shop made" is the key phrase when registering your trailer (and the weight capacity).

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  "Shop made" is the key phrase when registering your trailer (and the weight capacity).
                  x2 and maybe a farm trailer as well...

Comment

Bobby, I bought a 5X10 from a neighbor about 4-5 years ago. Only thing he had was a certificate of origin, which was provided to him by the dealer (new trailer). I took a bill of sale, the COO, and his registration documents and had it transferred to me. No title!

Comment

Thanks guys. I have a vin #. I guess I'll just do a bill of sale so he can get new tags/plate.

Thanks.

Joey...I was cringing when i posted this because I knew you'd chime in! =)~

Comment

I guess you didn't believe me?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          I guess you didn't believe me?
                          You lie to little kids about how deep your fish tank is and what you use for bait.

Comment

You need to check with your county tax assesor. where you get your tags. There are some laws about having trailers inspected by the DPS to verify ownership. It is a pain, but if not done correctly, it could lead to your trailer being confiscated during a traffic stop... So I was told by The Montgomery County Tax people.

Comment

If the trailer was registered for under 4k then the MCO ( manufactures Certificate of Origin) is all that is needed when it is registered and sales tax is collected there. No title will be issued when this procedure is done. You can choose do so, then the Tax Col charges you a title fee and makes the title. Anything over 4K has to have a title made by the Tax Col, if you do not have the MCO from the mfg. facility then you need a bill of sale from the person you bought it from.

Comment

Working...
                              X