First trip to Thompson Temple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First trip to Thompson Temple

Like the title says, i will be making my first trip to the ranch next month and was hoping to get some advice from past hunters. I have heard nothing but good things about the hunt and people involved. Really looking forward to getting a decent wall hanger, but i just had a baby and funds are limited so......

I saw that thread and it looks like they had a great time!

Comment

Depends on what you want, how much you want to spend, and how hard you want to work for it. You can sit on the porch of the cabin and pop one (gun or bow), you can sit in the overlook blind and shoot one as far as 400ish yards, you can ride to the top of the mountain and sit in a blind and kill one, you can spot and stalk but it's steep, rocky country.....whatever you want really. I'll say one thing that's bad about the place....depending on temperature and wind direction, the gut pile can be a major annoyance, to close to camp. Other than that, it's a decent place and I've had a lot of fun there.

Comment

Like was quoted above. You can make it as easy or hard as you want. Headed there next weekend for our 9th or 10th trip I think. I've been so many times I've lost track.

Comment

I've hunted with Thompson a lot and have loved every minute of it

Comment

I've been going there for 8+ years and sure the Gut pile is TOO close but other than that ... I really don't have any complaints.
            I took my son along the 1st weekend of Nov and had a blast. Something for just about any style you want ... I like to Spot / Stalk after the AM Hunt ...

Comment

Sounds like a lot of options for the hunt, I am not sure if i want to take one with my bow or do a long range type hunt with my .308..... Prolly take both and make a decision once i am there. Thanks for the info guys and i will post how it turns out!

Comment

Headed there this coming weekend. Will give you an update when we get back

Comment

Man, I need a trip out there soon. Maybe we need to setup a big TBH group to go out there. I miss it already. I don't know the link to the thread that has my big Catalina I got there, but you will not be disappointed. I saw a TON of critters out there last trip and I only really hunted inside the small pasture. Next time, I am going to spot and stalk the big pasture and try and kill a good one that way

Comment

I've never been there, but it seems like every thread I read about TT, the gut pile comes up within the first 5 comments. Here's a simple question: If he's such a great guy, and this seems to be the biggest problem with the place, why hasn't he relocated it to somewhere else on the property?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                      I've never been there, but it seems like every thread I read about TT, the gut pile comes up within the first 5 comments. Here's a simple question: If he's such a great guy, and this seems to be the biggest problem with the place, why hasn't he relocated it to somewhere else on the property?
                      The simple answer, IMO, is he doesn't have to.
                      The only thing Thompson loves more than money, is God, and sometimes I think that's even debatable. He books the ranch, full, dang near every weekend ... without doing any improvements. It'd cut into his profit if he spent any unnecessary money. So, he doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        The simple answer, IMO, is he doesn't have to.
                        The only thing Thompson loves more than money, is God, and sometimes I think that's even debatable. He books the ranch, full, dang near every weekend ... without doing any improvements. It'd cut into his profit if he spent any unnecessary money. So, he doesn't.
                        I agree. The gut pile is not that big of a deal anyway. the only time you even smell the gut pile is with a north wind. Lucky for us, we have a prevailing south wind in Texas If the only complaint I hear about a day lease is the location of the gut pile, I would be all over it. And I am, I love thompson temple ranch. Cannot wait to go back!!!!

Comment

Well, i must say that i was not 100% sure about this place before i went this past weekend. My o my how that has changed! Mr. Temple is a wonderful person and i could not have had more fun if i had tried. The group i went with is full of great people and it was simply a blast!

I ended up chasing a nice Black Hawaiian all over the big pasture for the better part of the weekend but once my legs gave out on me i sat in the smaller pen and put a short stalk on this nice Mouflon. I got a bout 20 yards from him and put an arrow right where i wanted it. He ran around for a bout 10 yards and laid down peacefully.

I have booked my spot with this group next year already and am counting down the days......
                          Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                            X