Port A set ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port A set ups?

Heading to Port A in a little over a month. Taking the kayaks and camper. We will be staying in the pioneer RV park. I want to fish somewhat close to there to get more time on the water instead of driving if possible. Where should I fish?

I'll be taking 3 different set ups.
    2 Abu Garcia's on 7ft rods
    1 Penn Fierce on a 7ft rod

What should I spool each on with and what should I have tied on each on ready to go?

I've never fished Port A and I'm taking the wife (she will also have the same 3 rods) so I want to get her hooked and try to make this trip happen on a regular basis (at least twice a year for now)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Wilson’s cut

Comment

Wilson's Cut. Go right as you enter the bay and you will be in the Shamrock Cove area. I have been fishing with gold weed-less spoons and catching reds.

Comment

First 2 say the same thing! Gotta mean something, just hope it holds true till I get there.

Are you throwing the spoons on braid with fluoro leader?

Comment

I would have 15 pound mono on both bait casters. 10-20 pound braid on spinning set up. I like smaller spinnerbaits with gold spinners for reds too.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
            I would have 15 pound mono on both bait casters. 10-20 pound braid on spinning set up. I like smaller spinnerbaits with gold spinners for reds too.
            Bait casters for spoon and artificial and the Penn for popping cork??

Ive fished POC several times growing up but by no means a "regular".

I mainly catfish lake cleburne and the rivers

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
              Wilson's Cut. Go right as you enter the bay and you will be in the Shamrock Cove area. I have been fishing with gold weed-less spoons and catching reds.
              How far of a paddle is that in kayak?

Comment

Leave nothing in your car and consider leaving it unlocked at the Cut. They will only damage your door to get in. We leave a note with "door is unlock" not to break glass or jimmy handle after all the years of damage. We are always in a boat but would recommend drive down the road to the left of the ramp closer to the bay before unloading. Would save some paddle time for sure.

Trout have been slow inside the islands for us but can be found on outside bay side. Reds were pretty good two weeks ago when last there on 3" new penny gulp. Gold spoon would be good also tied with a 16" 20lb leader, swivel, and braid. I'd look for a little off colored water for that set up which can be hard to find in that area without wind. Behind the pink shack (opposite of bay side) is a deeper mud hole that will hold some drum and reds not too far from the ramp. Also the flat behind the nicer (light green metal roof) shack will hold reds also. It has a nice drop off shelf that runs across it directly behind the cabin that the fish hang on usually. Any of the island tips off the deeper channels can hold fish.

Good luck and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                  Leave nothing in your car and consider leaving it unlocked at the Cut. They will only damage your door to get in. We leave a note with "door is unlock" not to break glass or jimmy handle after all the years of damage. We are always in a boat but would recommend drive down the road to the left of the ramp closer to the bay before unloading. Would save some paddle time for sure.

Trout have been slow inside the islands for us but can be found on outside bay side. Reds were pretty good two weeks ago when last there on 3" new penny gulp. Gold spoon would be good also tied with a 16" 20lb leader, swivel, and braid. I'd look for a little off colored water for that set up which can be hard to find in that area without wind. Behind the pink shack (opposite of bay side) is a deeper mud hole that will hold some drum and reds not too far from the ramp. Also the flat behind the nicer (light green metal roof) shack will hold reds also. It has a nice drop off shelf that runs across it directly behind the cabin that the fish hang on usually. Any of the island tips off the deeper channels can hold fish.

Good luck and report back.
                  Thanks for the report. I will for sure do the same, hopefully with a successful story.

Comment

Originally posted by Seay View Post
                    Heading to Port A in a little over a month. Taking the kayaks and camper. We will be staying in the pioneer RV park. I want to fish somewhat close to there to get more time on the water instead of driving if possible. Where should I fish?

I'll be taking 3 different set ups.
                    2 Abu Garcia's on 7ft rods
                    1 Penn Fierce on a 7ft rod

What should I spool each on with and what should I have tied on each on ready to go?

I've never fished Port A and I'm taking the wife (she will also have the same 3 rods) so I want to get her hooked and try to make this trip happen on a regular basis (at least twice a year for now)

Nice!

Comment

Wilson's cut for sure. And for a second place, just past fish pass is an access road that will take you to a very large flat that the reds love to visit in the mornings. That area drops to about 6 ft and has a deeper hole called Esters hole or something like that trout and reds there also. I was just at pioneer a couple weeks ago, location is good for getting to fishing spots fast and clean campsites.

Comment

First 2 say the same thing! Gotta mean something, just hope it holds true till I get there.

Are you throwing the spoons on braid with fluoro leader?

I use 12lb mono with a 9" black steel leader. My son uses braid on his bait caster with a 6" leader. Retrieve at a fairly fast rate to keep it out of the grass. We have been fishing 2-3' of water targeting potholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
                          I use 12lb mono with a 9" black steel leader. My son uses braid on his bait caster with a 6" leader. Retrieve at a fairly fast rate to keep it out of the grass. We have been fishing 2-3' of water targeting potholes.
                          Thanks! I've already got one spooled with 15lb braid was thinking the other would get some mono but wanted the experienced advice before just guessing

Comment

Looking at the overhead map I see this trail (blue dotted line) that is really close to the pioneer RV park. Could I use that to put the kayaks in there at what I think is called (flato's cut)?

Comment

Bait casters for spoon and artificial and the Penn for popping cork??

Ive fished POC several times growing up but by no means a "regular".

I mainly catfish lake cleburne and the rivers

I assumed you would be using lures. Mono is great for most things. Topwaters, jigs, yes even works on spoons. Braid on spinning tackle is great for most things too but it won't bury itself on the spool as on a bait caster. Plus you will cast it a country mile. Since there is no stretch in braid, you really don't set a hook. Just come right and reel. If you have wind you may regret braid on the bait casters. This would be my setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X