Old Sabine Bottom WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sabine Bottom WMA

My buddie's son drew the youth deer either sex tag at Old Sabine Bottom 12/14-12/15. Does anyone have any advice or info? Also would like to see some pics if anyone don't mind sharing.

Thanks, Bryan

I've heard it a very tough hunt, but yall will enjoy it anyways! Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have hunted there a few times and it is thick or brushy. I would bring a lean-to or climber to get off the ground if possible. I have seen deer and hogs, but since it’s open to public hinting as well you have to think out of the box as they know how to hide and see lots of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If they allow it, get back towards the power lines from the atv trail. I’ve always seen deer and hogs back there.

Comment

Tough hunt for sure

I was called out last year on the youth draw hunt to track a deer. Most of them had at least seen a deer and almost all were hunting power lines. Except the youth I tracked for. He was in hardwoods

There is a pig behind every other tree... so go stalking where others ain’t and have fun. I can guarantee shot opportunities on pigs there, but we walked our soles off in February and saw 1 deer. Had 3 on camera in 8 months

Comment

Open in some areas, but few.
            Attached Files

Comment

The staff is usually pretty good about giving advice on where to hunt in your assigned compartment. They want you to be successful, especially for pigs.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

90% of spots on the Sabine bottom you’re going to be able to cover everything you can see with your bow and arrow make sure your rifle doesn’t have a massive scope on it. I’ve also been successful finding pinch points and acorn trees

Comment

I feel like that usually killed 10 or less deer down there on the draw hunts every year sometimes it’s 1 to 3

Comment

Originally posted by Mathewsshooter View Post
                      I feel like that usually killed 10 or less deer down there on the draw hunts every year sometimes it’s 1 to 3
                      1-3 for the year is closer. Lol

Last year they had 1 non recovered and I believe 1 recovered

Comment

The terrain looks promising. Definitely want to try it

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexHunter8 View Post
                          The terrain looks promising. Definitely want to try it
                          I'm headed out there in the am to poke around. Not expecting much.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would recommend a shotgun on any hunt where firearms are allowed. The only exception would be when sitting on one of the right of ways that run through the area.

Comment

I drive through there every day multiple times.
                              Pigs really are behind every tree lol.
                              There was a group of about 40 under the far East bridge on 80 yesterday morning.
                              For anybody in the area looking to stick a pig.

Comment

Working...
                              X