No announcement yet.

Drawn for Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son was Drawn for Youth GDE . I hunted there a few years ago and we are stoked !!! To say the least .

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
      I would say this is spot on.

Friday night I asked a waterfowl guy how the check-in process worked. After his explanation he asked if I was going to hunt on Saturday. I explained our group had been selected for the archery hunt and he proceeded to complain about how none of the locals were drawn and how only Tarrant County employees ever get drawn.

These guys were driving around packed in trucks like sardines with a bed full of billy bobs standing with binoculars and guys sitting on top of the cab while driving roads looking for birds. Parked on the sides of the road, middle of road with doors open to keep cars from driving by. Saturday 3 or 4 groups in each compartment square shooting over each other, shooting over road, cars, it was a show for sure.

That whole waterfowl thing they got going on over on the north side is a mess. The best thing they could do is make that a postcard type hunt and limit it to X number of hunters per week. As a former water Fowler I’d rather put in for a draw and get to hunt a quality period of time and not be crowded vs getting in line every day and battling crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I guess it is a postcard system part of the year but yeah for teal a mess, do like the youth hunt rules for the north unit.
        Last edited by bossbowman; 09-16-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Make sure that you guys post your results. There are some awesome deer down there. Gold metal skeeters too.

Comment

For any of you guys that have hunter here in the past what’s the general consensus on getting set up to hunt? What are you looking for? Food? Water? Trails? And how are you hunting ? Pop up? Tree stand? Will a ladder stand work? With only three 1/2 days looking for some advice to maximize time. Never been close to this WMA , no idea what kinda of terrain to expect. Thx in advance

Comment

I hunted it about 10 years ago.They had some mowed roads through our unit. Very little open areas. Trails are super hard to locate. I used a ladder stand and it worked great. Water is not an issue. I feel like the group I was with spent too much time trying to scout and ended up pushing the deer out. I would scout deer movement from the stand and have another one available to put up once you see where they are crossing. We found some huge rubs and scrapes while messing the place up. Seems like we were in compartment 7. Do not forget your thermocell!

Comment

Last year, I was drawn for RC and the hunt got cancelled due to flooding on the Trinity. This year, I drew Trinity River NWR Hirsch unit for the archery opening week, and now it looks like the Trinity is flooding again. I'm cursed!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                  For any of you guys that have hunter here in the past what’s the general consensus on getting set up to hunt? What are you looking for? Food? Water? Trails? And how are you hunting ? Pop up? Tree stand? Will a ladder stand work? With only three 1/2 days looking for some advice to maximize time. Never been close to this WMA , no idea what kinda of terrain to expect. Thx in advance
                  When I hunted it, baiting was not allowed. So, I hunted trails and food sources (acorns). I had climbers and lock on. Me and the 2 guys in my group killed 5 deer. Could have been 6, but I held out for a bigger buck. The terrain is hardwood bottom land with underbrush under story. Trails are pretty easy to locate. Depending on time of the hunt, hunting over rub or scrape lines are good. There are several pipeline ROW on the place. Setting up on the edge of one of these for the evening sit. Deer like to walk up and down these in the evenings. Mornings, under a tree that is dropping acorns.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                    When I hunted it, baiting was not allowed. So, I hunted trails and food sources (acorns). I had climbers and lock on. Me and the 2 guys in my group killed 5 deer. Could have been 6, but I held out for a bigger buck. The terrain is hardwood bottom land with underbrush under story. Trails are pretty easy to locate. Depending on time of the hunt, hunting over rub or scrape lines are good. There are several pipeline ROW on the place. Setting up on the edge of one of these for the evening sit. Deer like to walk up and down these in the evenings. Mornings, under a tree that is dropping acorns.
                    What he said

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      Thx man. Good stuff.

Comment

I will be hunting this one in October (archery). Does anyone have harvest photos to post?

Comment

The boy and I are headed back to North unit tomorrow to put in more miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                            sending PM

Comment

Left Austin at 0315
                              Arrived at North gate at 0615

Found my 1st buck bed. Picture perfect location in a funnel between 2 ponds in chest high grass.
                              Watched 2 bucks sparring from 60yds along with 4 does.
                              Saw 7 bucks and 14 does total today.
                              10.5 miles of boots on the ground.

4 spots pinned and prepped.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Cool

Comment

Working...
                                X