Winchester Model 70 30.06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester Model 70 30.06

I just acquired a Winchester Model 70 30.06 rifle. What rounds would you recommend using with this rifle?

165, assuming you’re hunting deer sized game

Comment

I've always favored the 165 grain loads in 30.06. Alittle extra weight for some extra momentum. They can be very accurate, too.

Comment

I have the same rifle and use 150 & 165 grain with no problems

Remington Core Lokt

Comment

What round? The one that shooting a variety of brands and bullet weight gives the most consistent (not necessarily the smallest) 3-shot groups.

Comment

I use Remington Round nose. Here in Texas the shots are not that long and that round nose will push thru any brush and or twigs that might be hiding. I have no problem blasting thru brush to kill a hog. Now deer I try to have a clean window to shoot thru but I like the round nose for here. Good luck, great rifle. I have the same gun in 270

Comment

in Texas 150s for out past 300yds for a little flatter flight
              165s are the best all around
              I love 180s
              for plinkin' fun i buy the Wolf steel cased 140s for .50¢rd
              so i don't shoot up my handloads
              these LC Match 173s are what Hathcock used in Nam
              my Steyr
              Attached Files

Comment

Marine- Carlos Hathcock in Nam with his Win Mod-70 .30-06
                Attached Files

Comment

150 is all you will need,, I hand loaded mine but prefer Hornady or Winchester if I shoot factory ammo

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel32 View Post
                    I have the same rifle and use 150 & 165 grain with no problems

Remington Core Lokt

Same here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not worried about what I would be shooting here in Texas except nilgai. Nilgai can get pretty big (Elk size). I am looking for a consistent round. I was thinking about trying out a least 3 different brands and go from there. From your opinions it sounds like 165 grain is the round to use. I thought about getting into handloads but I don't think I shoot enough to reload my own.

I am mainly a bowhunter more than a rifle hunter. I just wanted the rifle in case I got drawn for the rifle hunts at the Atascosa.

Comment

Cant go wrong with 165s in either Hornady Interlocks or Nosler partitions.,

Comment

I'd try at least 3 different brands/loads and see what the rifle shoots best. If you are thinking Nilgai is on the menu then I'd go to a 180gr bullet.

I shoot Federal 165gr sierra game kings in my '06 and they have always performed very well for me.

Comment

I have been shooting Hornady the last few years , I have this same rifle and shoot Hornady 165 and it is very accurate.

Comment

In Texas 150’s is all you need. We use the 180’s on moose and elk.

Comment

Working...
                              X