Questions For Those That Have Been To Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions For Those That Have Been To Africa

I have never been, this will be my first trip unexpectedly. I won a trip with Bos en Dal Safaris. Adding a few days and some animals of course. Dates are set for June.
    I dont even have a passport!!
    I have been reading and trying to get things i need done asap in order.
    Any advise for first timers?

I use a CPAP. Bad sleep apnea. Has anyone traveled with theres to Africa? Or is it best to learn to sleep without for the trip?

Would anyone on here be going out of Houston or Atlanta around June 7th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by smb250; 01-28-2018, 09:47 PM.

Get a passport soon as possible.
    Check your shot records and ensure you are up to date, tetanus especially. Other per the CDC recommendations.
    CPAP probably OK on the flight over, long at 16 hours but not necessary. Get voltage adapters and use it in Africa with no problem.
    Follow forums like Accurate Reloading or Africa Hunting and ask all the things you can think of before your trip.

Relax and have fun. The first trip is the best and unforgetable!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smb250 View Post
      I have never been, this will be my first trip unexpectedly. I won a trip with Bos en Dal Safaris. Adding a few days and some animals of course. Dates are set for June.
      I dont even have a passport!!
      I have been reading and trying to get things i need done asap in order.
      Any advise for first timers?

I use a CPAP. Bad sleep apnea. Has anyone traveled with theres to Africa? Or is it best to learn to sleep without for the trip?

Would anyone on here be going out of Houston or Atlanta around June 7th?

I also have a CPAP and I would never even consider going without it! I even took it to Northern Quebec on my caribou hunts, ran of a battery with an 110 inverter.
      Also I’m getting a small travel Cpap for the flight it’s rechargable.

Comment

I will be happy to help you out with all of your questions if you want to PM me.

Comment

Pack then repack. Then repack again. I had more clothes than I needed, even after unpacking. Didn't even take my camo out of the bag.

Good luck!! Like everyone else will say, enjoy it because you will be making plans for a return trip on the plane home.

Comment

Depending on what region you are going to depends on your shot requirements. I went to the Limpopo region and the only thing that was required by a Doctor with the UT Medical Branch was a tetnus and hepititus C. He also gave me some antibiotics to take with me and told me to take some imodeum with me just in case.
            You will really enjoy the trip....I took my CPAP machine with me....be careful as their electric is 220V but my machine can use either. I was lucky, my outfitter/guide had some transformers made that took the power to 110V. I also bought me a multi electric plug that would plug into several outlet types.

Comment

CPAP is fine. I also used mine while sleeping on the plane. Its a looooong flight!

Comment

From Atlanta to Johanburg it is 16 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                  Depending on what region you are going to depends on your shot requirements. I went to the Limpopo region and the only thing that was required by a Doctor with the UT Medical Branch was a tetnus and hepititus C.
                  I think you meant Hepatitis A & B. There is no vaccine for Hep C... Don't have unprotected sex with the natives, share needles with them, or get an African tattoo while you are there and you will be fine!
                  Last edited by firehunt fish; 01-30-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks for replies.

What power converter is best to buy and take over?

Comment

Took to many clothes, they wash your stuff everyday, look at wearher may need some warm clothes for early am truck rides. Day pack to take out with you. Hat to cover head and neck or a neck gaiter, i got sunburned some what by the 5th day. Take lots of pics and position the animals properly. Have fun enjoy the whole trip. I got the hep a &b and tetnus shots but i think the hep takes 3 months or so and is a series or was when i got mine in 2007. If taking ammo read TSA, airlines and country of entry regs they are not all the same. Same for rifle if taking one.

Comment

You will only need three days worth of clothes they wash every day. I would recommend packing a set of clothes with your bow just in case your bag gets lost. Also add your optics and range finder. Carry your camera gear with your ID passport , tickets, cash, prescriptions and so on. With that loooong flight a fresh pair of undies with wet wipes will put a smile on your face. Take a small notebook and make notes of your day before bed every night. Lots of pics and video. Have fun and start planning your second trip!!

Comment

Your c-pap will run off the 220v

Comment

Lots of info from this thread I started before I went to Africa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How much cash should I take, for final bill, tips, etc?
                              Did you pay the final bill to the Outfitter with cash or credit?
                              Dip and ship company cash or credit?

Comment

Working...
                              X