Buying a home with foundation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
    Some of you guys that say never buy a house with foundation issues obviously have never lived in south Texas. EVERY home down here could be subject to foundation issues.

Mine had 52 piers put under it in 1997 at a cost of $15k to the previous owner...and I haven't seen any issues with anything since. Lifetime transferable warranty also. Most companies offer this warranty.
    If the house is fixed correctly, and has a warranty I wouldn't sweat it. Just get multiple quotes and do your research.
    Definitely use a well respected company to do the work.
    In general, in Texas, you can say there are three types of houses. Those with foundation problems. Those that that don't have foundation problems yet. And those that have had foundations problems repaired. (successfully or not is a separate issue. )

There are, as i understand it, three issues in this case:
    A: There is a known foundation that needs to be repaired.
    B: Someone has to pay for said repair.
    C: There is a potential buyer, and potential seller to pay for the repairs.

I've bought plenty of used stuff in my life. Most purchases have been very satisfactory. Some have not. But, i always had a good handle on what i thought i was buying.

I would not feel comfortable buying a house with known foundation issues, AND paying for said repairs. But that's just me. Others may feel otherwise. If the seller agreed to pay for repairs, that i felt good about, it'd probably be a different story.

My $0.02. Which someone could combine with $1.49 and buy a Pepsi.
    Last edited by mikemorvan; 06-06-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advise everyone. We tried to make it work multiple ways, but the sellers were not having it. We are now back to square one looking for a house. Man that is disappointing being that far into it thinking you are about to buy your first house then it not work out, but I feel good about it.

Comment

Y'all did the right thing.

Comment

I think you made a good decision. While it sounds like some have had success with foundation repair, i know several people who have had nothing but trouble and dumped more money when the company had to return, even with the “warranty.” Make your first home purchase a pleasant one. When it’s meant to be it’ll work out, Good luck. Just keep emotions in check like you just did and you’ll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
            Thanks for the advise everyone. We tried to make it work multiple ways, but the sellers were not having it. We are now back to square one looking for a house. Man that is disappointing being that far into it thinking you are about to buy your first house then it not work out, but I feel good about it.
            Consider yourself lucky

Comment

Walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                Some of you guys that say never buy a house with foundation issues obviously have never lived in south Texas. EVERY home down here could be subject to foundation issues.

Mine had 52 piers put under it in 1997 at a cost of $15k to the previous owner...and I haven't seen any issues with anything since. Lifetime transferable warranty also. Most companies offer this warranty.
                If the house is fixed correctly, and has a warranty I wouldn't sweat it. Just get multiple quotes and do your research.
                Definitely use a well respected company to do the work.
                Yep I had 39 piers put in my 1800 sq ft home. very simple process. (now my parents raised their 3500 sq ft house 17ft. That was a process)

established company with a lifetime transferable warranty. never had any issue with the foundation lifting or with selling it.
                Last edited by mmoses; 06-06-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X