Braid to mono leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braid to mono leader

I’m wanting to try fishing braided line with monofilament leader. Technically I fished with this set up last year, but I think I had too much leader. What’s a proper leader length?

Depends on who you ask
    4’ to more than you can cast

I’m running about 20’ flouracarbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I start with about 5–6’, but that gets shorter as I re-tie. Once it gets less then 2’, I’ll usually swap it out.

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals

Comment

When fishing on the coast for specks and reds with cajun thunder bobbers over shrimp, we typically use 3-4ft of flouro and change when it get around 2ft.

When fishing croakers with Chatter Rattles, we may 1-2 ft.
        Last edited by JAFO; 04-15-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

18" is plenty

Comment

Are you talking about the leader from the main line to the hook, or the backing line that you start with on the spool then tie to the braided line?

Comment

4 to 6’ with a triple surgeons knot...

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                Are you talking about the leader from the main line to the hook, or the backing line that you start with on the spool then tie to the braided line?
                Leader from the main line to the hook.

I think I have 10-12’ of mono leader now, but I was just playing around with the combination and only had a short amount of braided line leftover, I filled the rest of the spool with mono.

Sounds like it’s all personal preference and no real rule to go by.

This is for freshwater btw

Comment

I start with 4’-6’ of mono tied with FG knot. I will cut and re-tie when leader gets <18”

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Leader from the main line to the hook.

I think I have 10-12’ of mono leader now, but I was just playing around with the combination and only had a short amount of braided line leftover, I filled the rest of the spool with mono.

Sounds like it’s all personal preference and no real rule to go by.

This is for freshwater btw
                    Gotcha. You may want to try flourocarbon FWIW. It’s stronger and wears better than mono so you can use lighter test, and it’s invisible underwater.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                      I start with about 5–6’, but that gets shorter as I re-tie. Once it gets less then 2’, I’ll usually swap it out.

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals
                      I used to swap it our at 2'. Guess I'm getting old and lazy cuz I saw one of my set ups the other day that had about 6'' of mono. Taking it down to the wire son!

Comment

I use 18-24” of fluro in fresh and 24” of mono in salt.

Went strictly to braid 10 years ago and never looked back.

Blood knot combined the two though I’m salt I use a barrel swivel

Comment

My leaders range from 7' of mono up to 30' and then 3' of cable to 8' lol but something tells me we are targeting two completely different types of fish!!

Comment

In fresh water I use about a 7' leader. In salt water I use a 24" leader with a barrel swivel. Cant recall the knot I use to tie the two together for my fresh water combo though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

FG knot to mate braid to mono. Almost all other knots that you can mate them have two problems
                              -take too long to tie
                              -bulky and don’t go through guides under pressure

Comment

Working...
                              X