Neighbor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
    That's not very responsible when there's a 96% chance the deer is going to end up on someone else's property. Red flag right from the start.
    I'm not up on Statistics and Probabilities, but I am sure curious how you came to the 96% probability that the deer is gonna end up on someone else's property. I'm not disputing your figures, it's just that in my experience about 98.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
      And for the record I have knocked every door within 2 miles any direction. I spoke to his wife and gave her my number, never heard from the guy.
      It's good that he has your number in case he needs to call you about recovering a deer.

Comment

[QUOTE=curtintex;13000612]I'm not up on Statistics and Probabilities, but I am sure curious how you came to the 96% probability that the deer is gonna end up on someone else's property. I'm not disputing your figures, it's just that in my experience about 98.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.:

He will come from the woods, get shot in the patch of woods he is hunting, and run back from where he came when shot. So whatever that probability, the result is the same. Unless of course the deer runs between the two houses to get to the patch of woods, then runs back between the two houses when shot. But it's a creek, so chances are he will come from the creek and return when shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Novel idea. Have a conversation with your neighbor. /thread

Comment

Guy gets pissy he feeds protein for deer on his 11 acres but doesn't hunt it. He has 700 acres north of him that he hunts (lucky). Is upset that is lowly neighbor put up a feeder on his 2 acres and a decoy. I don't remember reading anything about a hunting blind set up but maybe I skimmed over that part. So essentially the neighbor is doing the same thing as the guy upset. The guy upset is drawing conclusions that someone (how dare he) is hunting on 2 acres and might kill the buck he has been protein feeding.

after various opinions, guy gets defensive and back tracks trying to play it off as something else.

Look, I would not like it either. We don't know this guy or his reasons. Maybe he got laid off of work, trying to kill something for food for his family. Maybe a lease got yanked from him at last minute and he still is trying to do something close to hunting for just this season. Maybe he is new to hunting but wants to give it a try and doesn't know proper etiquette.

We are all assuming the worst about this fella without knowing anything about him. Before coming over he posting maybe you should have talked to him first. It sounds like sour grapes and you are some elitist by mentioning your 11 acres and protein feeding with 700 acres to hunt and this poor schmuck has 2 acres. Who does he think he is?

So you have 5k acres or 700 acres should you really care if the guy is hunting on 2 acres? Maybe he could be a friend and you could hunt together on your thousands of acres you have permission to hunt. Then he wouldn't need to hunt his 2 acres and bother you.

I totally get being irritated at the fella but why vent here with so few facts on actual situation? It makes you look petty. I don't think you are, I have read your post in the past and you seem like a good dude.

If he is a real jerk than by all means burn the dude down with game cameras and him trespassing etc but he is a neighbor and better to play nice if you can

Comment

[QUOTE=Beargrasstx;13001087]Guy gets pissy he feeds protein for deer on his 11 acres but doesn't hunt it. He has 700 acres north of him that he hunts (lucky). Is upset that is lowly neighbor put up a feeder on his 2 acres and a decoy. I don't remember reading anything about a hunting blind set up but maybe I skimmed over that part. So essentially the neighbor is doing the same thing as the guy upset. The guy upset is drawing conclusions that someone (how dare he) is hunting on 2 acres and might kill the buck he has been protein feeding.

after various opinions, guy gets defensive and back tracks trying to play it off as something else.

Look, I would not like it either. We don't know this guy or his reasons. Maybe he got laid off of work, trying to kill something for food for his family. Maybe a lease got yanked from him at last minute and he still is trying to do something close to hunting for just this season. Maybe he is new to hunting but wants to give it a try and doesn't know proper etiquette.

We are all assuming the worst about this fella without knowing anything about him. Before coming over he posting maybe you should have talked to him first. It sounds like sour grapes and you are some elitist by mentioning your 11 acres and protein feeding with 700 acres to hunt and this poor schmuck has 2 acres. Who does he think he is?

So you have 5k acres or 700 acres should you really care if the guy is hunting on 2 acres? Maybe he could be a friend and you could hunt together on your thousands of acres you have permission to hunt. Then he wouldn't need to hunt his 2 acres and bother you.

I totally get being irritated at the fella but why vent here with so few facts on actual situation? It makes you look petty. I don't think you are, I have read your post in the past and you seem like a good dude.

If he is a real jerk than by all means burn the dude down with game cameras and him trespassing etc but he is a neighbor and better to play nice if you can[/

As far as getting defensive, I'm just kind of shocked at the lack of respect or consideration for neighbors that people have these days including some on here. When it comes to trespassing, I have a zero tolerance for it and have dealt with idiots poaching in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. I also go above and beyond to be a good neighbor, introduce myself as soon as possible and offer assistance in any way I can. When I moved in and only had the 11 acres option that I could hunt, I went and knocked on every door including this guys to let them know I might hunt and if I could call them if I need to recover a deer. It's the responsible and neighborly thing to do, so if doing the right thing makes me look bad to a few folks on here so be it. I will continue to do the right thing and if my neighbors would like the same courtesy from me, they should do the same. Again, I don't care if the dude hunts his land, it's his land, a one buck county, and archery only, so killing one buck whether hitting my protein or not has very little impact on me. It's hard enough to kill a deer with a bow, much less on a small place. But at least take the time and be responsible enough to get to know your neighbors and take every step you can to make sure you can recover a deer you shoot. This post has run its course and I don't have anything else to contribute. Just wanted to see what others would do in this situation and it's been an eye opener.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                Novel idea. Have a conversation with your neighbor. /thread

I have tried, again do people read the thread before commenting?

Comment

I must have missed it. So where is the neighbors blind, lean up or lock on located?

Comment

If this guy has been living there for at least a few years and you move in 6 months ago.....odds are he’s been doing the same thing during deer season for a while. New guy moves in and gets mad what his neighbor does and has been doing on his property for years....typical.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                      If a projectile crosses property line he is breaking the law. I would be more concerned with that than anything
                      An arrow is a projectile for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                        If this guy has been living there for at least a few years and you move in 6 months ago.....odds are he’s been doing the same thing during deer season for a while. New guy moves in and gets mad what his neighbor does and has been doing on his property for years....typical.
                        Not to hi jack thread, but reminds me. A couple of years ago I saw realtor showing land with trailer home down the road from me. I load my pistol and went out and shot about 15-20 rounds at target. Just letting them know that shooter already lived here.

Comment

you said in your last post when you only had the 11 acres to hunt, you approached ALL of your neighbors "including this guy" to let them know you would be hunting and might call to retrieve a deer. maybe he just feels you would reciprocate the gesture of allowing retrieval. after all, its the "neighborly" thing to do! how many "neighbor" posts have you started? sounds to me you dont care for neighbors and need to live in the middle of BFE like i do! dont blame you for that one bit......

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            I'm not up on Statistics and Probabilities, but I am sure curious how you came to the 96% probability that the deer is gonna end up on someone else's property. I'm not disputing your figures, it's just that in my experience about 98.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I was wondering the same thing! But the smart *** in me only came up with 97.1%[emoji2]

Comment

It is on his property however

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                                From what I am reading it doesnt sound like you know your neighbor very well and/or yall dont talk very much. There is nothing "illegal" about him setting up a decoy and feeder on his side of the fence, regardless of how close it is to the fence line. He has every right to do so. Obviously there is a good chance that if he does shoot a deer on his place that said deer could jump the fence and get onto your place which would cause him to have to get onto your place to recover it. If/when this happens, he better come to you and ask permission to get onto your property. I wouldnt worry about it until it happens.
                                This.

Ive made the mistake of being neighborly and asking neighbors about trailing before hunting. Never again.

Comment

Working...
                                X