Question about golf club shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about golf club shafts

I found an incredible deal on a set of used Taylormade Burner irons. I am not a good golfer, 25 handicap, but my irons are all mismatched and old. The clubs have "stiff"" shafts. Would this really matter much compared to "regular flex" shafts for a golfer of my caliber?

Thanks

depends on your swing speed. get fitted. your clubs are like your bow. they should fit YOU to shoot well. clubs that fit with the right flex will drop 5 strokes off your game. AND LEARN HOW TO PUTT! eliminating 3 putts will drastically drop your scores!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
      depends on your swing speed. get fitted. your clubs are like your bow. they should fit YOU to shoot well. clubs that fit with the right flex will drop 5 strokes off your game. AND LEARN HOW TO PUTT! eliminating 3 putts will drastically drop your scores!
      He is right.

The short game and putting alone will get you down a lot. Go to the range and jump in the sand and work on short and long shots. Putt up hill and than down hill to really improve your distance. {You should always be a few inches past the hole}

Comment

just think about it this way. say you 2 putt every green. thats 36 strokes. you used your putter 36 times. make just 5 of those putts and thats 5 more strokes off your game. typically u only hit your driver 14-16 times per round. drive for show, putt for dough!

Comment

I am just wanting to know if I would notice much difference hitting " stiff flex" irons compared to "regular flex" irons.

Comment

The guys above are right, but not sure they answered what you are asking. It's my understaning that to get the distance and accuracy, your club needs to flex the right amount for your swing speed. Like the spine of your arrow.

If you get the stiff ones, they might be good for you if you have a fast swing speed. In any case, they will be better than your mismatched set for sure. So, if they are a great deal, I might go ahead and get them.

Comment

Anything that is matched is way better than mixed.....

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                just think about it this way. say you 2 putt every green. thats 36 strokes. you used your putter 36 times. make just 5 of those putts and thats 5 more strokes off your game. typically u only hit your driver 14-16 times per round. drive for show, putt for dough!
                X2 Short game is the key

Comment

Originally posted by RODEO View Post
                  I am just wanting to know if I would notice much difference hitting " stiff flex" irons compared to "regular flex" irons.
                  Unless you have a club head speed like a pro you don't need stiff. (kind of hard to worry about putting when you can't get to the green)

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                    Unless you have a club head speed like a pro you don't need stiff. (kind of hard to worry about putting when you can't get to the green)
                    I know I don't "need" stiff shafts, just wondering if, with my crappy golf skills, I would really notice much difference.

Comment

If they are Taylor Made Rifle shafts in Stiff flex, you will love them and can hit them just fine, without being fitted. You probably won't be swinging them fast enough to over flex them and open the club face, so slices will be reduced IMO. I would suggest getting some new slightly oversized imitation wrap grips and go play.

The grips and shafts alone will save you 8 strokes per round!

Comment

Originally posted by RODEO View Post
                        I know I don't "need" stiff shafts, just wondering if, with my crappy golf skills, I would really notice much difference.
                        And that's hard to tell without knowing how fast that crappy swing is.

If you're at the level I assume, it really doesn't matter....get 'em and hit 'em!!

Comment

With a 25 handicap there will not be much difference. Not being funny. Buy the set. Hopefully it's a decent price. It will give you confidence on the driving range compared to the set you already have. Find an instructor that will teach you a swing you can work with and hit the driving range. Stiff shaft to me has always meant more accuracy less distance. Regular flex is what I use, but my swing speed is slow. I can work the ball better.

After you get your swing down. Treat yourself to a custom fit with right-sized/right-flex irons. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                            If they are Taylor Made Rifle shafts in Stiff flex, you will love them and can hit them just fine, without being fitted. You probably won't be swinging them fast enough to over flex them and open the club face, so slices will be reduced IMO. I would suggest getting some new slightly oversized imitation wrap grips and go play.

The grips and shafts alone will save you 8 strokes per round!
                            They do have Rifle shafts

Comment

Get them! If you hate them, and it sounds like that's not possible then you can always sell them, shouldn't hurt too bad if it truly is an incredible deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X