First Point Archery 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Point Archery 2016-2017

Hey guys I have been watching this forum for years for input and advice! I am heading to First Point this year in early November and would love any tips you more experienced hunters have. I have been bowhunting for 12 years but have yet to kill a deer due to lack of opportunity and a few missed shots. I did get a Texas Dall 12 years ago that I did the Euro mount on. Looking for any information on this place to help me get a deer or 2 on the ground! Thanks in advance!

Take a box and cut a hole in it just smaller than a sheet of paper. Take a sheet of paper and tape it over the hole. Cut a hole in the paper about the size of a softball and practice shooting through it. This will help you from making your shooting holes too big. You will learn your shooting limitations and be able to fight the urge to make your shooting holes/lanes just a little bigger. The smaller the better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sideler; 09-06-2016, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Who's going to be there opening weekend? Thinking about booking if he has any openings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
        Take a box and cut a hole in it just smaller than a sheet of paper. Take a sheet of paper and tape it over the hole. Cut a hole in the paper about the size of a softball and practice shooting through it. This will help you from making your shooting holes too big. The smaller the better.

What he's trying to tell you is, First Point deer wrote the book on spooky. If you don't do everything right and have a bunch of luck, it ain't gonna happen there. Not that nobody kills a buck, just very few. Tons of deer, but they can spot a brushed in pop-up like you can spot a Hummer in your driveway, and you have zero control over who hunted there last week and their methods. That said, I hope you kill a good one !

Comment

I killed a real nice buck last year....its in this thread^^^^
          Last edited by RLB; 09-06-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Patience Patience Patience at First Point!!

* Make one tiny little shooting hole, brushed in, brushed in again, and then brushed in even more....the wind is a HUGE factor and its a must to watch.
            * Try and keep all "cut ends" of your brush facing away from your shooting lane, they will see it and they will flare.
            * Never walk in directly to your blind from the road, come in from behind as far away as possible.
            * Never ever ever feed extra corn on the corn routes, they will notice one kernel....yes, one kernel.
            * If hunting off the corn routes, load up on the corn and spread it out, they will come to it and seem to be a lot less spooky.

Other than that, listen to Bo, have sharp broadheads and shoot low because they will drop a lot!!

Good Luck!!
            Last edited by RLB; 09-06-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

The deer that are off limits know it. The others are like ninja deer.

Comment

Thanks. Ya will be setting up my blind and practicing with smaller shooting windows. I have been practicing a lot and have been on a few other jumpy deer hunts but I will definitely be more careful and watch myself. More or less your advice is small hole around a softball to soccer ball size with brushed in blind?

Comment

Get yourself some vapor trail scents 33 point buck cover scent! Mist it all over ya and gear and hunt. Wont have to worry about smelling you. Best stuff I have ever used, get you some Vapple corn flavor powder and sprinkle out. I am not sponsored I just have seen to many success stories and would love to know if it will work on the spooky deer in texas. If I do not get drawn here i will be over there to test out.

Comment

I might try the scent blocker but I am not going to try flavored corn on spooky deer. In my experience the less "new things" in a hard area the better. Will start working on small shooting windows

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4Jesus View Post
                      Get yourself some vapor trail scents 33 point buck cover scent! Mist it all over ya and gear and hunt. Wont have to worry about smelling you. Best stuff I have ever used, get you some Vapple corn flavor powder and sprinkle out. I am not sponsored I just have seen to many success stories and would love to know if it will work on the spooky deer in texas. If I do not get drawn here i will be over there to test out.
                      No offense but if it isn't a smell that is on the property daily I would not use it. Off the shelf deer scents and attractants are a red flag for most all mature deer there. Just get as scent free as possible and use lightly scattered plain corn. On occasion I have been know to hunt near cattle feeding areas and then load up a bucket of the nastiest manure I can find laying around and dump all over the bushes around me(at Brushy Hill but same type of deer)

Comment

Originally posted by J Loves Huntin View Post
                        I might try the scent blocker but I am not going to try flavored corn on spooky deer. In my experience the less "new things" in a hard area the better. Will start working on small shooting windows
                        Also I am a fan of pit blinds instead of brushing in popups. Take a small shovel and dig a hole where only the top half of your body is exposed in the middle of a good brush pile. Deer typically are looking up and for odd new looking brush piles. Gets your movements down lower, fresh earth scent from the ground and you usually just have to cut a few new shooting holes and not have to add so much brush.

Comment

I'm a big fan of pit blinds as well, I'm just always worried about snakes getting in there.
                          P.s. Wear snake boots if it is warm at all!

Comment

Yep snake boots if your there before December. I usually don't go until January so they usually aren't a problem unless it's very mild.

Comment

Working...
                            X