Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting long range, seeing my heart beat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting long range, seeing my heart beat?

Venturing into shooting longer ranges, just shot 600 for the first time Friday. One thing I noticed is that when I'm settled into the gun and on target, I'm seeing very distinct heartbeat. It was moving my reticle about 4-5" at 600. I'm shooting off of a front bipod and rear Caldwell sand bag. Is this just something you have to deal with, or is there another technique to use? It doesn't matter whether shooting prone or off of the concrete bench.

Very common. Check this link out.

Every sniper candidate in sniper school begins training without a rifle in his hand. If the most elite marksman start this way, how much more so someone who doesn't have the time and finances to practice shooting day after day. Whether the extent of your long or even medium range scope assisted shooting will bring you to the fall season of the whitetail, to a field of competition, or to the battlegrounds of Iraq or Afghanistan, your abilities as an elite marksman will start in the same place. They will start with breathing, heartbeat, trigger control and how you handle your rifle. Save yourself some money on match grade ammo and some embarrassing 3" groups at the range with your competition rifle and try a few things at home to get you started.

Comment

Try a lighter grip. When setting up prone, I like just enough body weight on rifle to keep the rifle in shoulder when I do a push up but not enough to move the bipod forward. I use a very light pull with middle and ring finger only. Try to set up with natural point of aim on target and make a concieous effort not to muscle it. If your whole body is relaxed, you should not feel dramatic movement.

Comment

try learning to stop the heartbeat for 2-3 seconds, just make sure you start it back up after the shot

kidding of course - that will kill you.

a light grip may help, just like jake said

Comment

I use very little grip with the trigger hand, the tips of the fingers are on the front of the stock. I think most of it is coming from my cheek weld. I have a riser on the factory stock (Ruger American Predator) just to be able to get any weld at all.

Comment

time your shots between heart beats. Like everyone else is saying your shooting hand shouldn't be "gripping" your rifle that'll make more errors than just a heartbeat bounce.

Comment

I don't notice my heart beats as much as I see the cross hairs location on the target change when I dry fire, after the hammer falls. It appears to be about 1/8" rise at 100yds.

Comment

Weird. Guess I'm so focused on the target I've never noticed that. I mean I know the pump stations working but not enough to sense it to effect/affect my shooting.

Comment

I may also just be cursed with a very stout heartbeat. My resting HR is typically in the 50's with a normal BP in the 120/80 range, but I can usually feel it all the time. I can watch my HB in the veins in my wrist. I don't know.

Comment

You sir have reached a milestone few shooters ever realize or get to. If you are seeing your heartbeat in your scope, you have learned what it is to hold a gun still and on target. With just a bit of practice, you can time your shots between beats. The motion can be minimized a bit by grip and how you mount the gun, but essentially if you're going to shoot long distance, you will have to learn to time your shots. (Congratulations actually!)

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                      I use very little grip with the trigger hand, the tips of the fingers are on the front of the stock. I think most of it is coming from my cheek weld. I have a riser on the factory stock (Ruger American Predator) just to be able to get any weld at all.
                      Close your eyes, breathe, relax and find POA...if off...adjust. As mentioned dont muscle...more muscle...higher bp...more pressure to struggle against staying on target. Olympic shooters shoot between heartbeats. I see my reticle bounce minutely and pulse at all yards.

Many stocks sit too low and low rings to high for me...so I raise my check weld with foam pipe insulation spray adhered to top of stock. My buddy said it was most comfortable rifle he has shot...like spooning a trim gal with a donkey butt. (Whereas I had also duct taped pipe insulation as a hasty recoil pad too on a 7lb .308)

Comment

My Dad always told us to take 2 deep breaths and in the second one let half out then squeeze the trigger always works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterlin8er View Post
                          My Dad always told us to take 2 deep breaths and in the second one let half out then squeeze the trigger always works for me.
                          Big fallacy. Best way is to shoot during your natural respiratory pause between breaths.

Comment

What do you mean by the pause?
                            After the first breath is exhaled and before the second starts with air coming into lungs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                              What do you mean by the pause?
                              After the first breath is exhaled and before the second starts with air coming into lungs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Correct. There will be a 3-4 second pause between breaths.

Comment

Working...
                              X