Calhoun Outfitters (Colorado)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calhoun Outfitters (Colorado)

This is the first time Ive rated any outfitter that I can remember so I'm just going to tell about how I felt about my experience with this one.
    Calhoun Outfitters is owned and operated by Scott and Kersea Calhoun. Oh and Tristan (3) and Tatum (2) Calhoun. They are located in Delta, Colorado and hunt in the Uncompahgre National Forest of Colorado. They base camp on 160 acres of private ground and you can hunt from there or Scott will set you up in a nice drop camp. You can hunt unguided from either place or Scott will supply you with guide and meals. I hunted the first week of Archery season this year. I saw elk everyday but one. Had several opportunities at shots.....be very careful of the wind. The spikes love to walk all around you...... I also saw deer everyday. I had a mule deer tag also and had several opportunities to take a fork horn but chose not to. Weather and patience is the key. If its hot the hunting gets tough. We had frost on the ground two mornings. There were only two other hunters there when I was there. One took a nice 6x6 the day after I left. You hunt from 9,000 to 9500 feet, it can be as easy or as tough as you make it. The habitat was made for elk and mule deer....oh and bear. Lots of beaver ponds, lots of very thick stuff(elk like the same stuff our Texas hogs like), dark timber, Aspen groves and pretty green meadows. Scott definitely has a little piece of paradise just like his advertisement says. Scott and Kersea are both very hard workers. From sitting up camps, tracking and cleaning animals, caring for horses and wagons and making sure your comfortable and having a good time Scott stays very busy. And his wife Kersea is just as busy cooking, cleaning, and also making sure everything is going your way. She was always the first to want to hear what I had seen and how my day had gone. I hunted right from base camp. There are two cabins for hunters to stay in. They are very comfortable with bunk beds, stoves, and gas lights. No electricity, none needed unless you want to blow dry your hair.... there is a shower with hot and cold running water. I cant post pics on here or I would give you a sample all though they just cant do it justice. They do have a web page and a facebook page so check them out. I will leave the pricing to them because they have an array of services to offer.
    If you have any other questions ask away. Im sure I left something out. I saw lots of game but cant say I saw any Pope and Young quality animals. Im sure there are some there but I didn't find them. Maybe one of the bears I saw would have made book, he was huge for a Colorado Black Bear. All I Can say is the animals are there, the people are great, the accommodations are comfortable, and the scenery is beautiful. One more thing, If your looking for a guaranteed archery kill this isn't for you. If you looking for a hunt in some beautiful country with great people and a chance off putting meat in the freezer then give them a call.
    Last edited by Jen-Man; 09-09-2016, 12:06 PM.
Working...
X