Anyone DIY emergency matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If so how do you? I did the u tubes but seeing if the GS has any better ideas.

Making some Christmas gift emergency kits!

Following. Great idea.

Comment

I guess I don’t have to bump it’s already at the top

Comment

I made emergency tender out of dryer lint and used cooking oil and put that in old pill bottles...trying to figure out other free and easy “emergency” things to add to a quart bag for my buddies to add to their backpacks.

Comment

Cheap whistle, Paracord, zip ties, duct tape, old birthday candles, small compass, garbage bag, Bic lighter, aluminum foil, bandaids.

Not free but you might have some stuff around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Cheap whistle, Paracord, zip ties, duct tape, old birthday candles, small compass, garbage bag, Bic lighter, aluminum foil, bandaids.

Not free but you might have some stuff around the house.
            That sounds like a Harris County robbery kit.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
              That sounds like a Harris County robbery kit.
              I laughed pretty good at that. Sawdus in rendered brisket fat can be a match/ fire starter. Or individual containers of animal fat/sawdust. Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                I laughed pretty good at that. Sawdus in rendered brisket fat can be a match/ fire starter. Or individual containers of animal fat/sawdust. Etc.
                Minus the sawdust that makes me hungry

Comment

Cotton balls smeared in petroleum jelly kept in pill bottle or 35 mm film container is what i made for my kids , I also used plain old dryer lint a good ferrous rod I bought on eBay with a tool steel striker I bought online then took some antler and made handles for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                    Cotton balls smeared in petroleum jelly kept in pill bottle or 35 mm film container is what i made for my kids , I also used plain old dryer lint a good ferrous rod I bought on eBay with a tool steel striker I bought online then took some antler and made handles for them.

This... cotton balls and Vaseline make an awesome tinder for fire starting. They burn hot and for a good amount of time plus they’re easy to light up with a ferro rod

Comment

Strike anywhere kitchen matches dipped in gulfwax. Eggcartens filled with sawdust and rendered gulfwax for firestarters.

Comment

Purell hand sanatizer and others are very flammable and are available in 1oz bottles also Chapstick will burn mixed with cotton or a match stuck down in the chapstick then lit will burn like a candle.

Comment

Mine.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                            Mine.
                            I like the altoid can idea

Comment

Dang it. Where is our resident expert on this stuff when we need him? Anyway I like the idea of making your own matches but never got into it. What I do have is a large pill bottle with cotton balls with petroleum jelly on them stuffed into a small plastic baggie in there. Also inside is another small baggie with dryer lint in it. On top of that is a smaller pill bottle with some military all-weather and water-proof strike anywhere matches. I super glued a strip of sand paper to the top of that bottle for striking. As dumb as it sounds I can drop that big pill bottle into a pocket when I go out hunting and if I get lost I've at least got the means to make a fire. I doubt I'll ever need to use it but it's fun to have.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X