No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW crod...approximately when do they harvest the corn around there and the pecans start dropping? Is there a typical X week of X month that this occurs around Granger? It would help in planning...thanks in advance for any advice in this regard...

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
      BTW crod...approximately when do they harvest the corn around there and the pecans start dropping? Is there a typical X week of X month that this occurs around Granger? It would help in planning...thanks in advance for any advice in this regard...
      If I remember right it was mid-september last year when all was perfect, the corm was down and the pecans were like rain hitting the griund out there. I have to look through my old post to see what exact date it was cause I killed one my first night out under the pecans.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
        If I remember right it was mid-september last year when all was perfect, the corm was down and the pecans were like rain hitting the griund out there. I have to look through my old post to see what exact date it was cause I killed one my first night out under the pecans.
        Looking back at my old post, on 7-12-2009 I posted that they were cutting the corn on the southside of the road from Granger.

Comment

Thanks a bunch crod. That helps!

Comment

Originally posted by kestimator View Post
            Mister Bubba's Bulletman,

Gators at night? Joke?? Real ?
            Man I forgot about this thread! The gators are real. The Hoxie bridge being haunted? I'll leave that up to someone else.

Granger Update....

I talked to Johnny today. He said the tractor and shredder is down again.

That means he can't get his foodplots disked and all his trails mowed.

If anybody has any pull with TPWD, he really needs a new tractor. That Ford is jinxed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
              Man I forgot about this thread! The gators are real. The Hoxie bridge being haunted? I'll leave that up to someone else.

Granger Update....

I talked to Johnny today. He said the tractor and shredder is down again.

That means he can't get his foodplots disked and all his trails mowed.

If anybody has any pull with TPWD, he really needs a new tractor. That Ford is jinxed.
              Someone please help him get a tractor....when the trails are mowed the hog hunting gets better

Comment

Agree on the tractor, but I don't even have any pull with my better half let alone anybody else, lol...

Goin' back in tonight. Dilemna though...I'd established a goal back in April when I started off scouting Granger and trying to get to know the place that I wanted to cover every sector of it thoroughly by the beginning of August, and then begin doing the same over at Somerville. I wanted to have a good idea of where the choice areas were before fall arrived, and all the deer hunters (and their treestands) converged on the areas. I have covered all of Granger other than the Willis Creek and Sore Finger units. From the road, the Sore Finger unit looks pretty barren in comparison to the rest of Granger to the point that it appeasr it would be all but a waste of time to hunt that area for hogs. Am I wrong in this assumption? I will check out Willis Creek most definitely though. I'm finding I have already found some places I want to go back to as favorites later on, but I still would like to get to know ALL of Granger eventually. The only thing going for the Sore Finger unit from what I can see is that it's the only sector still open to general hog hunting after the deer draw hunts begin in the fall. I want to hunt hogs, and am not really all that excited about the deer draw hunts. I will probably hunt both deer & hogs over at Somerville (due to a general season being available there) in the fall, due to Granger closing everyone out except deer permit holders. Leaving the Sore Finger unit as the only option...so, question being is it worth bothering with Sore Finger? Or should I leave granger and come back for hog hunting after the deer hunts are over after the beginning of next year? Hope I made sense...any thoughts on continuing on with hog hunting after the deer hunts begin there? Anyway, I'm off to get my stuff packed in the truck so I can head out now to try for a pig yet again (hope the rain holds off). Could you guys that know the place provide some suggestions for me based on your experiences with this area (oh wise ones ) I'm the newbie to Tejas and am kinda lost as to what to do when fall arrives here...thanks again gang!

Comment

I have hunted the sore finger unti and have seen a few hogs mostly deer though. It does get pretty thick down by the lake but its a pretty good walk from the road.

Comment

Clearing the trails would be good. Maybe put a corn thrower on the back of the tractor.

Comment

Thanks huntnfishtex...good to know that sore finger is at least a possibility for a hog hunt after the deer season gets going. I lucked out Friday the 23rd on the South side of the River across from the primitive boat launch...managed to stick my very 1st ever Texas Hawg And I saw a good sized group come in to a water hole, and I nailed one...probably around 13 to 14 pigs in all, mostly smallish/medium, but one huge sow (which I didn't shoot). Great experience...exciting...and FINALLY I got me a pig!

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                        Clearing the trails would be good. Maybe put a corn thrower on the back of the tractor.
                        I tell him about the corn thrower idea. He'll get a kick out of that.

Comment

Agree on the tractor, but I don't even have any pull with my better half let alone anybody else, lol...

Goin' back in tonight. Dilemna though...I'd established a goal back in April when I started off scouting Granger and trying to get to know the place that I wanted to cover every sector of it thoroughly by the beginning of August, and then begin doing the same over at Somerville. I wanted to have a good idea of where the choice areas were before fall arrived, and all the deer hunters (and their treestands) converged on the areas. I have covered all of Granger other than the Willis Creek and Sore Finger units. From the road, the Sore Finger unit looks pretty barren in comparison to the rest of Granger to the point that it appeasr it would be all but a waste of time to hunt that area for hogs. Am I wrong in this assumption? I will check out Willis Creek most definitely though. I'm finding I have already found some places I want to go back to as favorites later on, but I still would like to get to know ALL of Granger eventually. The only thing going for the Sore Finger unit from what I can see is that it's the only sector still open to general hog hunting after the deer draw hunts begin in the fall. I want to hunt hogs, and am not really all that excited about the deer draw hunts. I will probably hunt both deer & hogs over at Somerville (due to a general season being available there) in the fall, due to Granger closing everyone out except deer permit holders. Leaving the Sore Finger unit as the only option...so, question being is it worth bothering with Sore Finger? Or should I leave granger and come back for hog hunting after the deer hunts are over after the beginning of next year? Hope I made sense...any thoughts on continuing on with hog hunting after the deer hunts begin there? Anyway, I'm off to get my stuff packed in the truck so I can head out now to try for a pig yet again (hope the rain holds off). Could you guys that know the place provide some suggestions for me based on your experiences with this area (oh wise ones ) I'm the newbie to Tejas and am kinda lost as to what to do when fall arrives here...thanks again gang!

Sorefinger is ate up with hogs and deer. It's a long walk down to the lake though.

You can hunt the little tank (County Road 358?) by the parking area when it's hot. Sit on a bucket in the evening and don't move much.

There are a couple other tanks in there you can hunt. You just have to follow the old roadbeds to the abandoned farm sites.

There used to be some treestands down on the point. That been thee years since I was down there. Probably wouldn't trust them.

Those stands were at a 10 or 20 acres crossroads. If you set up there you'll see plenty of hog and deer.

It's a long drag out but remote and productive.

Comment

A cheap mountain bike puts the trees near the lake much closer. Folks also used to post about landing on the Sore Finger shore in a small boat, makes taking 200 lb sows home much easier.

Comment

Thanks for all the info on Sorefinger guys. It's appreciated. I'm happy to hear that there may still be some hawg huntin' to be had at Granger even after they close the rest of the units for the deer draw hunts...no need to go into withdrawals after all, lol...cool. Still have to pound some ground at Somerville to see how it compares, but I'm growing really fond of Granger, especially now I've finally managed to score some pork there Kind of attached to the place now I've put in some miles on her...many fond memories of sights sounds already and I'm just gettin' started. You folks here are really cool/helpful and I sure as heck am grateful for y'all. So here's to ya! (errr...3 thumbs up???) no gun icons for salutes it appears...so all's ya get are thumbs ...

Comment

Thanks for all the info on Sorefinger guys. It's appreciated. I'm happy to hear that there may still be some hawg huntin' to be had at Granger even after they close the rest of the units for the deer draw hunts...no need to go into withdrawals after all, lol...cool. Still have to pound some ground at Somerville to see how it compares, but I'm growing really fond of Granger, especially now I've finally managed to score some pork there Kind of attached to the place now I've put in some miles on her...many fond memories of sights sounds already and I'm just gettin' started. You folks here are really cool/helpful and I sure as heck am grateful for y'all. So here's to ya! (errr...3 thumbs up???) no gun icons for salutes it appears...so all's ya get are thumbs ...
                                Good Luck in Sommerville, good hog population there also. I have found stand hunting near the creeks to be the best way to hunt the hogs there. Lets hope deer season will be good year there.

Comment

Working...
                                X