Water Storage Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Storage Tank Question

We have a 10,000 gallon (I am guessing) holding tank at our water well. It is black so theoretically no sun gets in to create algae. It has been idle for years and is full of algae and no telling what. We are now getting that well up and running and want to use the existing tank. I am thinking we need to empty the tank into the adjacent pond, power wash the inside, flush it all out and then refill.

Question- Is this the right move? Will algae grow back anyway? Should we just empty and refill then put chlorine or some safe algaecide in it? Need direction???

You are on the right track with cleaning it out first... BUT,, you will be working in a confined space, so take appropriate precautions.

Comment

Following... I'm in the same boat.

Comment

In too!

Comment

Thanks. I’m thinking power wash for sure then refill and treat the water. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Comment

Mix some Chlorox and water in a pump sprayer and spritz the inside with it before you refill, just to kill germs.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
              Mix some Chlorox and water in a pump sprayer and spritz the inside with it before you refill, just to kill germs.
              Thinking same thing. Thanks

Comment

We have a 2100 gallon black tank. How much chlorox should we put in it?

Comment

My brother was a licensed water guy at one time and he told me don't use Chlorox just use the cheapest bleach you come across. Chlorox has a few additives you don't need in your water.

Comment

Just had to do this to a 2500 gallon tank . I bought 3 gallons of bleach poured it in . hooked up a 5 hp pump to feed line and dumped the other line back into the tank let it run for a hour . and most of it was completely gone . drained the tank power washer and then refilled . If the water you are filling with is non treated you might want to look into a filter system for it.

had to do this with the new well also . ratios I found on line where 1 gallon per 1000 .

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      Just had to do this to a 2500 gallon tank . I bought 3 gallons of bleach poured it in . hooked up a 5 hp pump to feed line and dumped the other line back into the tank let it run for a hour . and most of it was completely gone . drained the tank power washer and then refilled . If the water you are filling with is non treated you might want to look into a filter system for it.

had to do this with the new well also . ratios I found on line where 1 gallon per 1000 .
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X