Dehydrated Meal Prep for Backcountry Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dehydrated Meal Prep for Backcountry Hunt

I made a video summarizing some of my dehydrated meal prep for my elk hunt.

I'd love to hear your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Great video! Saved people a lot of research. What's the plan for fresh water? Got a filter system? Thanks.

Comment

Get a Lifestraw. I will say that nothing is better than a can of Vienna sausage and a bag of peanut M&Ms about day 4 or 5 for lunch. I am also a big fan of carrying a lot of Vermecelli Noodles that you get from Asian markets. Light with lots of carbs and cook fast. I also carry a small fishing kit for mountain streams and it is usually beneficial.

Comment

subd

Comment

Very neat, i am not going on an elk hunt this year but sure wish i was... I will however be dehydrating some of what you did to try it out... I have never done anything other than jerky.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Great video! Saved people a lot of research. What's the plan for fresh water? Got a filter system? Thanks.
            We have plenty of water at lower elevation. Not sure about the upper areas, but I'm going in this weekend to check it out. Adam seems a little worried since they haven't had much rain.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Man, you are the king of hunt prep, Michael. That's impressive!

Comment

following

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Michael, just curious... Why the mylar bags, over vacuum sealed?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                      Very neat, i am not going on an elk hunt this year but sure wish i was... I will however be dehydrating some of what you did to try it out... I have never done anything other than jerky.
                      Awesome! Backpackingchef.com is a good resource.

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      Man, you are the king of hunt prep, Michael. That's impressive!
                      LOL! Just trying to keep my mind occupied while I'm waiting for the hunt!

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      Michael, just curious... Why the mylar bags, over vacuum sealed?

Mainly because I need to be able to reseal them after I add water to rehydrate. I also like the gusseted bottom so it will stand up without me holding it. I vacuum sealed these (well, I couldn't really get the opening in the vacuum chamber of my sealer, but I sealed them) and zipped them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Awesome video and great information. Thank you for sharing. I will be trying some meal preparation myself but have been crazy busy at work. This gives me a lot of ideas and places to reference quickly. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          Awesome video and great information. Thank you for sharing. I will be trying some meal preparation myself but have been crazy busy at work. This gives me a lot of ideas and places to reference quickly. Thank you.
                          Thanks! Let me know how it works out when you put some things together! Thanks for the feedback on the video.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Thanks! Let me know how it works out when you put some things together! Thanks for the feedback on the video.
                            A couple of things that I am planning are:

"pan de maiz" no pics as of now but basically it's corn meal and some regular flower (planning on using/trying almon/coconut flower mix) mixed with either water or milk (milk is what I prefer). The consistency should be close to that of pancake batter... Batter is pan fried into small "breads". These go great with chili and or any type of stew/soup. I personally like the taste so much that when I have some left over I will just snack on them when I am not doing the Keto diet. Due to the corn meal this pack a lot of calories. The plan is to make enough to carry 1 or 2 each day.

One other thing I have recently done is that I will roast some meat. For example I had the rib cages from a past deer harvest. So I seasoned and roasted them in the oven. I then cooled them in the refrigerator and once cold I cube the meat. The cubes can then be shredded in a food processor or blender. The key is to pulse which ever device you are using. You end up with a finely shredded meat that can be dehydrated. I actually just leave it uncovered in my refrigerator. Once completely dried I bag it up. It last forever in the refrigerator and I am sure it would go great in some of the reciepes that you are using the ground meat in. This can also be mixed with the batter above and you almost have a small meal on the go.

I will try to take pics the next time I make these and post them with complete step by step instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              We have plenty of water at lower elevation. Not sure about the upper areas, but I'm going in this weekend to check it out. Adam seems a little worried since they haven't had much rain.

this is the area where I hunt this is one of the tanks that has always had a large amount of water , just about every tank in the area is bone dry

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X