Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Targeting crappie in Guadalupe river lakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Targeting crappie in Guadalupe river lakes?

Hey guys I’ve never targeted crappie before but lately we have been getting after catfish good and while catching bait I’ve managed to catch 2 really nice crappie in the throw net, which I did release.

Question is does lake placid,Dunlap or similar lakes have a crappie population worth targeting?

how do I go about finding them?

What is the best time of year to catch them?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    I’ve managed to catch 2 really nice crappie in the throw net, which I did release.

Release where???

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
      Release where???
      Lake placid, Not Legal to keep them if caught in cast net right?

Comment

Lake placid, Not Legal to keep them if caught in cast net right?
        I don't know the laws in Texas so I can't really answer that. I was just messing with you. Most of us would release in the grease.

Comment

I don't know the laws in Texas so I can't really answer that. I was just messing with you. Most of us would release in the grease.
          I would have too but would have been hard to explain how I caught them with no rod and reel I gave it a good thought..

Comment

I would have too but would have been hard to explain how I caught them with no rod and reel I gave it a good thought..
            Yes, always carry a rod n reel!!

Comment

Yes, always carry a rod n reel!!
              Now I know! They were solid fish too! O well we snagged 19 cats last night on jugs.

Comment

Can't help with the crappie but be sure to watch out for this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                  Can't help with the crappie but be sure to watch out for this guy.

Ya'll sure got some little alligators over der.

Comment

There are some good crappie forms that are full of information. I don't know about that lake but it's summer and they are deep. They are structure oriented fish. Gait meaning 18 and 30 foot probably.

Comment

You did it the right way. There aint a fish in the water worth getting busted for.

Guadalupe river has some good crappie in it, you just got to find them. Tree tops in the water with at least a 15 ft depth or more is what your looking for. Your gonna have to jig for them in the tree tops, I got a couple 10 ft rods just for that. If you fish them tops with live minners, you will catch everything that swims in the river. Catfish, gar, drum, bream,bass, crappie and turtles. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X