Soft shell turtle - Good to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft shell turtle - Good to eat?

We caught 3 big (maybe 15lb) soft shelled turtles last week. Are they good to eat? If they are what do they compare to? I wouldn't mess with one unless they are very good.

How would you clean one and cook it?

Yeah they're good to eat. Not special or worth me messing with. If somebody else takes the time to clean and cook then I'll eat it.

Comment

Calling Cajun Blake. Yes they are really good. I have had it a couple times at the duck camp but I personally have never cooked it. Always the guys from Louisiana doing the cooking.

Comment

Oh yeah, chicken fried, or in soup or stew.

Comment

Yes. My dad would use tin snips on the shell for cleaning. Makes it alot easier to clean. Fried up and they're very good.

Comment

Always heard they were good, but have yet to try it.

Comment

I've heard they're better to eat than snapping turtles but I don't know. I've killed and ate a snapping turtle before and it wasn't too bad. Just cut it's head off and I used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to open the shell. You can see a seem where the top and bottom shell are joined. Just hammer into that and pry them apart.

I used side cutters and clipped the meat off the top shell. It comes out in different sections.

Cut the feet off and skin before you get it all taken off the shell. That skin on those suckers is pretty tough.
              Last edited by okrattler; 07-09-2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

They taste alot like snapper

Comment

When I was younger my grandpa would take us to the river a couple of summers in a row and we would catch a few to eat. To be honest I was young (10 or so) and didn't really pay attention to how he cleaned them (I wish I would've). I do know he fried them up. They tasted fairly good to me.
                  Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-09-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Ok. I’ll just say it. I really do consider myself an outdoorsman. However, with what some of you guys/gals are willing to eat... I’m speachless.
                    #willstilltakeafishinginvite

Comment

The best of the turtles to eat... especially cajun turtle soup with sherry and a shrimp po boy... One of my very favorite meals! Used to be a place in Morgan City we went for lunch when we were at the McDermott yard... That's what I had every time I went... only change would be occasionally have an oyster po boy instead of shrimp po boy...

Comment

I’ve never had turtle but I’ve always wanted to

Comment

this one ate a football jig

Comment

They are good fried. Had it when I was younger and it sure was good. Old Germans don't waste anything.

Comment

All I can compare them to is every other reptile I've eatin. They're all basically the same taste wise I think. Same texture as alligator.

Comment

Working...
                              X