Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of Switching to Thumb Release. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Switching to Thumb Release. Suggestions?

I've been giving thought to switching to a thumb release, primarily because I want something that I can keep clipped to my d-loop and have ready while I fiddle with camera gear. My wrist strap style release tends to bang around on my equipment and is often difficult to quickly clip on when it's time for the shot.

Anybody have any suggestions on best brands for that purpose? How difficult is the transition? I guess I have plenty of time to get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Carter Hammer. It just fits my hand well. Many out there!

Comment

Michael, I would highly recommend Carter. They make a wide range of thumb activated releases along with some tensio activated as well. The transition, while not easy, was well worth it for me. I personally shoot the Carter Wise Choice in the 3-finger model. I shoot more accurately/consistently now than I ever have.

As far as the transition, I watched a lot of John dudley’s Videos for tips. The best thing I did was make a “string bow”. Just cut a piece of string long enough to tie the ends together and get a loop as long as your draw length. Loop that over the thumb of the hand with which you hold your bow and clip on your release. You can then imitate drawing a bow and coming to your correct anchor position. Once you get comfortable anchoring, you can start firing your release by using back tension.

There are folks much better than I am at explaining this. Again, John Dudley has some great stuff.

Comment

I have a goofy and underdeveloped shooting form and I shot a trigger release for two years. I recently started practicing with a truball thumb release and I immediately saw a difference. Something about the way it anchors and the way I'm able to feel the string placement really brought in my groups. If you want a 'budget' option to try before you plunge in headlong, maybe go with TB.

As a note, be careful. Real easy to accidentally thumb the release while you're trying to find your anchor point and shoot through your fence. I've heard. From a friend..

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
          Michael, I would highly recommend Carter. They make a wide range of thumb activated releases along with some tensio activated as well. The transition, while not easy, was well worth it for me. I personally shoot the Carter Wise Choice in the 3-finger model. I shoot more accurately/consistently now than I ever have.

As far as the transition, I watched a lot of John dudley’s Videos for tips. The best thing I did was make a “string bow”. Just cut a piece of string long enough to tie the ends together and get a loop as long as your draw length. Loop that over the thumb of the hand with which you hold your bow and clip on your release. You can then imitate drawing a bow and coming to your correct anchor position. Once you get comfortable anchoring, you can start firing your release by using back tension.

There are folks much better than I am at explaining this. Again, John Dudley has some great stuff.

I've always been a little leery of back tension for hunting, but I'll check it out.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Literally have been thinking the same thing, OP. In for input.

Comment

I am switching this year to a Hot Shot Vapor. So far the transition has been pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I've always been a little leery of back tension for hunting, but I'll check it out.

Agreed. That’s why I went with a thumb release. You still activate it with back tension, though.

Comment

Boss, I switched several years ago for this very reason, that and I think it is better at combating punching the trigger. I clip my Chocolate Addiction to my d loop and my bow stays at the ready all the time while stand hunting. I did make one slight mod to it. From spot and stalk type of hunts while using a wrist strap release, I'd shoot, drop the release in order to grab another arrow, then swing the release back into my shooting hand... Well with the new thumb release, I did that and promptly lost the release... had to go back and look for it a couple times... I served some dacron braid to the third finger groove (mine's a 4 finger release) and left the ends hanging far enough out to tie a loop that allows me to loop it on my wrist... No more lost release. I also use it when I take the release off my string at the end of the hunt, I use the hanging string to loop the release to the riser of the bow just like I always did with the wrist strap... I have a spare release if you'd like to try it. I'd be happy to send it to you to experiment with. PM me and we can work out details of getting it to you.

Comment

I'm a real big fan of Carter releases, my personal favorite is the Chocolate addition. Clip it on the loop, let it hang, always ready when you need it. The adjustability is awesome with the variety of spring combinations. Run it hot with no springs, run just one or any combination of the three that are supplied. Fully adjustable trigger travel as well.

As far as the transition I found it to be fairly easy. 1) I feel like I pull through peak weight easier 2) I feel like I hold better at full draw 3) I find I have a more repeatable anchor with the release as well. Only draw back is it took me several years to switch but I'm very glad I did.
                    Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 01-30-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

It will take some time to learn to activate it properly but once you do, you will be glad you did.

I recommend anything from Carter. I like my Target 4 but I do shoot it like a three finger instead of a four finger. I would get a three finger if I had to do it again.

Comment

Best thing i ever did! I shoot the Chocolate addiction. Never tried anything else, but have been more than pleased with it.

Comment

carter is the only way

Comment

I just made the decision to switch, trying to solve a trigger punching issue by re-learning how to shoot with a different style release. I went with the STAN Perfex. Guy at Texas Archery said STAN or Carter were the way to go, he uses STAN and it has more adjustability, so I went with it.

Comment

I went to a thumb release 12 years ago and have never looked back. My favorite is a Carter Insatiable but I have a Target 3 for a back up.

Comment

Working...
                              X