Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County
Default Lymeís Disease - hunting, etc.

Itís been a challenging 18 months.
Tick bite back in May Ď18, local doctor refused to acknowledge it in spite of a positive antibody test and showing symptoms. She treated it half heartedly and it came back this summer. ďLymeís just isnít really in Texas.Ē Yeah....right.

Made an appointment with a Lymes doctor in Marble Falls and was officially diagnosed on October 1 this year and began IV treatments weekly since then.
Last week, we started Ozone Ten Pass treatment and started with 3 passes. This Friday, we do 6 and then 10 after thanksgiving. They hook your iv to a machine that pumps out blood, injects it with 200cc of ozone to kill bacteria, mixes it, and pumps it back in. Thatís one ďpassĒ.

Treatment is working but I feel worse than before due to the resulting Herxheimer reaction.

Ended up buying a crossbow because Iím physically not able to pull a bow back right now. And itís fun to shoot.

But..

Hereís the part that really has me ticked off.
Iím so dang beat down from this, that I honestly have zero desire to even drive out to the ranch anymore. I miss it so much but it seems like just about everything is a struggle right now.

The encouraging part is that the more I open up about having this, the more people I meet that have had it and beaten it.

To those of yíall on here that have had or currently have this disease: what do yíall do? Stop hunting for a while? My kids are at the age where I want to start taking them with me, but I physically canít keep up with em right now.

I know this will improve. I have faith and the Lord is involved. Itís just killing me that I canít go out and do one of the very few things that I truly love to do.

Also: PSA - take precautions when yíall are out there tromping around. This disease is no freakin joke. Iím on FMLA right now from teaching and am praying I feel well enough to go back in January.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

I hate ticks. Stay strong & good luck.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Man hate to read about your troubles. Hope you get better quick.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Tex
Ten Point

Yeah it sucks. Seems to me like it always is worse on me in the winter. I donít take anything other than some natural products to give me energy and build up my immune system. This year has been much better than the last three but Iím starting to run on empty here lately. Headaches and joint pain is giving me a serious case of the Donít want toís. I have looked into the treatment that you are doing but it was all gonna be out of pocket and with 2 kids in college I just canít swing it right now. As soon as they get out Iím gonna give it a go though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
hog_down
Ten Point

I had a close family member come down with Lyme's disease. It was awful. Half of his face was paralyzed and he had to drink his morning coffee out of a straw. He is back to 110% and still kicking azz at almost 80. Chin up and keep after it!
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I got Lymes in Nebraska bow hunting around 2004 or so. It hit me hard and about killed me. I had joint pain that would run through my body joint by joint and by 6:30 am I would be wore out and having a hard time driving to the jobsites. I got on a bunch of arthritis medicines and took handfuls of ibuprofen for a couple years and went in to deep depression about every 3-4 weeks. I considered suicide often, sometimes daily but pushed through, found some natural powder drink and it helped some. I went from 185 lbs w/6 pack to a 225lb wore out guy.
In 2006 I lost everything, bankruptcy, house, toys, and still sick, I was going to take my .44 mag and end it all. I called on God and said "if you are real you better let me know tonight God because I am not going to be here tomorrow".
The Lord heard my call and came and entered me and my life, I didn't eat for over a week and found a Bible and started soaking it up. It was then that I realized I was completely healed. No pain, no drugs needed to help, my energy was restored and my life was renewed.
The doctors had no solution but God did...pray deeply, believe like a child, have faith of a mustard seed and you too can get your relief from the great physician.
RattlesnakeDan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Yeah it sucks. Seems to me like it always is worse on me in the winter. I donít take anything other than some natural products to give me energy and build up my immune system. This year has been much better than the last three but Iím starting to run on empty here lately. Headaches and joint pain is giving me a serious case of the Donít want toís. I have looked into the treatment that you are doing but it was all gonna be out of pocket and with 2 kids in college I just canít swing it right now. As soon as they get out Iím gonna give it a go though.

Fatigue and joint pain are by far my biggest enemies.
Iím all supplements currently. My dr doesnít do insurance, and yeah...at $100 per pass itís pricey, but everything she told me and what Iíve read says that ozone can really kick this to the curb while the vitamins, etc boost my immune system to keep it in remission.

November has been the hardest month of the 18 by far.

All I want to do is relax in the blind but my body is suggesting otherwise.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
I got Lymes in Nebraska bow hunting around 2004 or so. It hit me hard and about killed me. I had joint pain that would run through my body joint by joint and by 6:30 am I would be wore out and having a hard time driving to the jobsites. I got on a bunch of arthritis medicines and took handfuls of ibuprofen for a couple years and went in to deep depression about every 3-4 weeks. I considered suicide often, sometimes daily but pushed through, found some natural powder drink and it helped some. I went from 185 lbs w/6 pack to a 225lb wore out guy.
In 2006 I lost everything, bankruptcy, house, toys, and still sick, I was going to take my .44 mag and end it all. I called on God and said "if you are real you better let me know tonight God because I am not going to be here tomorrow".
The Lord heard my call and came and entered me and my life, I didn't eat for over a week and found a Bible and started soaking it up. It was then that I realized I was completely healed. No pain, no drugs needed to help, my energy was restored and my life was renewed.
The doctors had no solution but God did...pray deeply, believe like a child, have faith of a mustard seed and you too can get your relief from the great physician.

Been there more times than Iíd care to admit the past few months.
I got 3 little girls and a little boy running around that would never understand why I checked out, so it just isnít an option for me.
I am praying for healing. I believe he has put my healing in the hands of some very caring people at this office.

Thank you for being open about your journey.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
CentralTXHunter
Four Point

Man, I hate to hear about your struggle with this disease. Iím glad you fought for the correct diagnosis and are getting some treatment. Youíre rooted in the Lord and He has a plan for you. This temporary setback will not define you. It was once told to me that we would never have a testimony without tests. Youíll be back up and in the woods before long. I donít know you, but I hate to hear that you donít have the energy to get out to your place. I was in a bad car accident last October heading to my lease for the evening sit. It cost me the rest of the season, but Iím alive and well. Iíd be willing to forgo one of my hunting weekends and drive you to your place, cook, fill feeders, whatever you need done to get you back in the woods. Iím sure you have people near you that would do the same, but the offer is there if you need it.

CentralTXHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
Man, I hate to hear about your struggle with this disease. Iím glad you fought for the correct diagnosis and are getting some treatment. Youíre rooted in the Lord and He has a plan for you. This temporary setback will not define you. It was once told to me that we would never have a testimony without tests. Youíll be back up and in the woods before long. I donít know you, but I hate to hear that you donít have the energy to get out to your place. I was in a bad car accident last October heading to my lease for the evening sit. It cost me the rest of the season, but Iím alive and well. Iíd be willing to forgo one of my hunting weekends and drive you to your place, cook, fill feeders, whatever you need done to get you back in the woods. Iím sure you have people near you that would do the same, but the offer is there if you need it.

Dang this is why I love this site.
I canít even express the gratitude I have.

Iím blessed to hunt with close friends from the same town.

This has been a crucible for me and one of the biggest challenges Iíve had to overcome. Like others that have gone through this, I pray my journey through this will also help me witness and minister to others like you all have done for me.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #11
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I had it. Lots of antibiotics and prayer. That was 1997. Thank God I'm alive. Hang in there
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
cgny27
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

The offer to take him out for a weekend was amazing...very heart warming and such a kind genuine display of brother hood!!

Very sorry for all of you who have struggled with this, and to the depths some of you went. Our God is truly awesome...and Iím glad to hear the recovery is there. My prayers are with you OP...and the others!!

cgny27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

sorry for what you are going thru and i truly hope the treatments work and you are able to fully recover.

I now how bad this disease can get as i lost a very good friend to advanced stages of Lyme's. I have a 2nd grader in my unit at school that has it and is getting treated as we speak.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgny27 View Post
The offer to take him out for a weekend was amazing...very heart warming and such a kind genuine display of brother hood!!

Very sorry for all of you who have struggled with this, and to the depths some of you went. Our God is truly awesome...and Iím glad to hear the recovery is there. My prayers are with you OP...and the others!!

Iím continually blown away by the generosity and compassion that I see day in and day out from the guys and gals on this sight.

I tell my archery students at school that archery is a brotherhood that ties people together in ways that those who donít participate in it cannot fathom.

This disease really has ups and downs ant attacks you on so many different fronts. For me, one of the worst areas is neurological. That includes emotions, particularly anxiety and depression. Iíve battled depression since my teens, and have learned, through failure, how to keep it in check and letting go and relying on others at times has been one take away.

Iíve been in a pretty dark place this week due to just feeling terrible physically from this Herxheimer reaction. This thread has helped on so many levels and I donít have the words to express my sincere thanks. God bless yíall.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Stay strong and hang in there Bucky. You have a lot of people praying and pulling for you. You can beat this. It's just a temporary setback in the journey of life.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #16
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Ozona

Prayers up man. I am sorry you are dealing with that.
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #17
mjacks
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for posting this. We just found out last week that our 4 year old is positive for Lyme. Been referred to a Dr in Marble Falls as well (assume it is the same one) but first available appt isn't until March. Currently looking for alternatives since we would like to get him started on treatment sooner than later to avoid as many long term effects as possible.
mjacks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #18
Hidden E
Nubbin' Buck

I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 6 or 7 years and got diagnosed 5 years ago, I've been on a bunch of different immune compromising medications since then. Three years ago after looking at ranch property I found a tick on me and developed a bad fever about a week later, within three days I aged 20 years and could not get out of bed without help and hurt like I had been hit by a truck. My general practitioner had the test run and started me on Doxycycline that day, a week later the test came back positive and continued more rounds of the antibiotics. My rheumatologist says there is no lyme disease in Texas so I got a new rheumatologist. It was the worst two weeks of my life and could return at any time.
Hidden E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #19
hog_down
Ten Point

Check this article out in Texas Monthly:https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...kz321e2vcqTMEc

I'm a beekeeper, so that's where it got my interest.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #20
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
Check this article out in Texas Monthly:https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...kz321e2vcqTMEc

I'm a beekeeper, so that's where it got my interest.

Iím an aspiring beek!!

Been studying and lurking on several beekeeping Facebook pages and saw this posted yesterday on there!

I wouldnít doubt it if bees can cure dang near everything.

I have a big jar of honey infused with fresh ginger here in the kitchen for when the sniffles hit our house.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #21
bulltx50
Ten Point

Hunt In: baylor,knox, McCulloch counties

Sounds like my story from back in 1998. Yes beat it, but I do deal with flare up joint pain every now and then. The doctors refused to accept diagnosis back then even though i spent all my time in the woods as a biologist. You wonder how many ranchers are walking around with arthritis diagnosis and it was Lyme disease. The roughest part for me was the extended months on antibiotics the size of a horse pill. good luck
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #22
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

I have no experience, but feel for you and your family. Praying for strength, comfort, and Gods supernatural guidance and healing for you. All this through our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen
fbchunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Had 6 passes of ozone today.
Iím interested to see how this is going to make things feel since it was twice as much ozone as last time.
Regardless: itís big progress!
Feeling so rundown and achy afterwards sucks, but it shows that the right bacteria are dying, so bring it.
I survived last week...I can do it again.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #24
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble

Praying for you bud. You got this!
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #25
gneimeth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rosanky and Big Lake

Thoughts and prayers man! Stay strong - you will overcome this!
gneimeth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #26
BuckySWT
Ten Point

This round today was double the ozone from last week. Itís gonna Chuck Norris roundhouse kick this bacteria right in the balls.

Bring it.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #27
CentralTXHunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckySWT View Post
This round today was double the ozone from last week. Itís gonna Chuck Norris roundhouse kick this bacteria right in the balls.

Bring it.

Heck yeah! Love the positivity! Kick its butt!

CentralTXHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #28
austinRecurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Alaska

Sorry to heat about this. I have no experience with it but I came across this article about a book and thought I'd share.

http://davidswanson.org/where-lyme-d...des-treatment/

https://www.amazon.com/Bitten-Histor...SIN=006289627X
austinRecurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #29
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinRecurve View Post
Sorry to heat about this. I have no experience with it but I came across this article about a book and thought I'd share.

http://davidswanson.org/where-lyme-d...des-treatment/

https://www.amazon.com/Bitten-Histor...SIN=006289627X

Yessir.
Very familiar. To my knowledge, there is a bill in congress asking for an investigation into the pentagon for exactly that.
And it would not surprise me at all if it turns out to be true.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #30
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I am so sorry that you, and all of you, are having to deal with this. Thanks for enlightening us so we will be aware of the symptoms. Prayers sent for your recovery.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #31
Trent D
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam Houston Natl Forest

Prayers sent.
Trent D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #32
schmalzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf coast and VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckySWT View Post

Bring it.

You got this brother. Bring it to the hilt! Prayers up for you.

schmalzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #33
RDT
Six Point

Did any of you with lyme disease have a tick bite that started
looking like a bullseye and grew larger over a few days .
RDT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #34
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Prayers for strength and healing. That sounds so bad!
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #35
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT View Post

I did. It was a little bitty tick. I found it about three days after I had been spot and stalking pigs during the summer. Had a huge bullseye come up but figured I still had part of the head or jaws in my skin. I put some drawing ointment on it and it eventually went away. I didnít start getting real sick until about 6 months later. They thought I had the flu and treated me for that but I kept getting worse and worse. I wasnít worth killing. I finally asked for a Lyme test and it came back positive.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2019, 01:41 AM   #36
Bkag09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hondo

I don’t know if you’re a golfer, but Jimmy Walker(PGA tour pro from San Antonio) has been struggling with Lyme disease for a while now. Actually both him and his wife have the disease. They are both very outspoken advocates for Lyme awareness. Might be worth looking into their journey and some tips they may have. Just a thought. Prayers for health going for healing going forward.
Bkag09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #37
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Default Lymeís Disease - hunting, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkag09 View Post
I donít know if youíre a golfer, but Jimmy Walker(PGA tour pro from San Antonio) has been struggling with Lyme disease for a while now. Actually both him and his wife have the disease. They are both very outspoken advocates for Lyme awareness. Might be worth looking into their journey and some tips they may have. Just a thought. Prayers for health going for healing going forward.

I hadnít heard, but will read up.

Thank you!

Last edited by BuckySWT; 11-23-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #38
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT View Post

Mine was embedded at least two days.
Never had a rash.

My primary care doctor never took it seriously because I didnít...even though I had the other symptoms.