Video camera for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video camera for hunting?

What kind of video camera are y’all using for deer hunting. Looking to buy one for recording hunts, both bow and rifle, so it needs to be able to zoom out.
    Are GoPro cameras good for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by hchntr View Post
    What kind of video camera are y’all using for deer hunting. Looking to buy one for recording hunts, both bow and rifle, so it needs to be able to zoom out.
    Are GoPro cameras good for this?

GoPro is great for close shots from different angles, but not for complete filming.

I'm in on this as well and would like to hear others opinions without breaking the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      GoPro is great for close shots from different angles, but not for complete filming.

I'm in on this as well and would like to hear others opinions without breaking the bank.

I should’ve mentioned I don’t really want to break the bank either.

Comment

Following

Comment

Canon or Sony Handycams work well for kill shot . POV cam for showing you shooting, walking, talking etc. POV is not necessary though.

Comment

I bought a HD Sony from Walmart, didn't break the bank, great pics and easy to work. Bought a tripod too and it works great.

Comment

Look for cheaper Cannon or Sony HD camera with at least 10x Zoom. If you can add an external mic, wide angle lens, and varizoom control you’ll be set and also a good Fluid Head. The GoPro (any model) is great for a second angle (hunter angle facing you). It’s fun and addictive, but IT WILL cost you a shot at some point if you don’t practice a lot with it. Good luck

Comment

I've got a Panasonic 580 it's got manual focus that really helps at times , wouldn't break the bank either

Comment

I’ve used a Sony Handycam for 10 years. Just upgraded to the Sony AX-53 this year, with an external mic.
                  I also use tactacam and GoPros for different angle shots.

Comment

I am using a Tactacam but haven't actually had a kill shot on it yet. Filmed a stalk on some pigs last weekend and have good footage of them winding me at 90 yds. Used a GoPro last season in Illinois and could not even see the deer I shot at 17yds. Low light conditions in both examples and the Tactacam blew the Gopro away. Also has a rifle mount available of which I don't have one

Comment

Originally posted by Hsbtgarcia View Post
                      I’ve used a Sony Handycam for 10 years. Just upgraded to the Sony AX-53 this year, with an external mic.
                      I also use tactacam and GoPros for different angle shots.
                      Same here. Great video for sure. I have used it the past 2 seasons with great results. Not cheap, but worth it IMO.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What is your intended purpose and delivery of your vids? YouTube? Watch at camp?

If primarily for video, take a look at Sony, Panasonic, Canon camcorders (instead of DSLR/Mirrorless/Bridge). Pay more attention to features like zoom range, sensor size (generally better in low light), frame rate options, articulating screen instead of getting caught up in 4k (nice to have, but generally not needed for posting vids online or sharing with fam, and is also resource intensive when it comes to editing and storage.)

GoPro doesn't have zoom capabilities and won't be good as a primary camera for filming hunts, bow or gun.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Sony handycam on a tripod

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                            Same here. Great video for sure. I have used it the past 2 seasons with great results. Not cheap, but worth it IMO.
                            Thinking about going with this one. Any more thoughts on it? Anyone know reasons to step up to the AX100 or not to? Looks like the 100 is larger in size.

Comment

Working...
                            X