Hustler ZTR problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hustler ZTR problem

I have a NEW Hustler Fastrak 54. My mower had about 5 hours on it and started running extremely rough when I started it up after blowing the grass off of it after I had mowed for about 30 minutes. I called the dealer and they came and picked it up. The guy that picked it up said it almost didn`t make it off of the trailer before it died. They brought it back to me later in the day and said it wasn`t getting any exhaust from the muffler. The tech stuck something in the muffler and it broke something loose and then it ran fine. He said it was probably a dirt dobber nest. It has ran great until yesterday when it started doing the same thing. I noticed it slowly loosing power at the end of my mowing but thought it was just the taller grass. I blowed it off after mowing and went to put it in my garage and it started extremely running rough when I gave it full throttle . I let it set for about 5 minutes and started it and gave it full throttle and it is doing the same thing it done before. The mower has 13 hours on it now and I never believed a dirt dobber nest was the cause of the original problem. Does this sound like a bad muffler issue or something else? I will be calling them to come and get it early tomorrow.

Hard to make a good guess without seeing it up close. I have many years of small engine and heavy equipment experience, but it’s just a guessing game not being able to observe it. I’d like to help.

Comment

Stop blowing it off after use!!!! It doesn't like that!!!

Comment

The person that brought it back said that the tech/mechanic put his hand over the muffler and it was getting any exhaust coming out of it.

Comment

Almost sounds like a valve/head issue. Not impossible for muffler to be obstructed. Any chance a kid stuffed something in muffler?

I do recall finding huge mud dobber nests in old tractor intakes.

Comment

I have a Hustler. The choke spring came off causing it to run like spit. I got a new spring and good to go. Kawasaki engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had to replace mufflers before on hustlers. Warrenty will cover it

Comment

Have them pull the muffle completely off and check it thoroughly. If it's been running for 13 hrs with an obstructed muffler, I'd be very concerned about engine damage due to too much back pressure. I'm no mechanic, but internal combustion engines have an exhaust for a reason. If its unable to do so, there's a good chance there was damage done. For the cost a a Fastrak 54, I'd be taking no chances at long term damage. They need to make it right one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                  Almost sounds like a valve/head issue. Not impossible for muffler to be obstructed. Any chance a kid stuffed something in muffler?

I do recall finding huge mud dobber nests in old tractor intakes.
                  No kids , so no chance.

Comment

I’m no mower mechanic ... but if it has the “no-choke” option ( like my Hustler ) there is a flap that chokes the engine during initial cranking with vacuum and then once cranked the “ engine wind “ from the flywheel keeps the flap away. If the flap is blocked or being restricted for some reason it would cause it to run as if the engine is being choked all the time....something else to investigate... good luck

Comment

Well... the dealership called yesterday and said that they are going to have to replace the muffler. Hopefully this issue will be resolved.

Comment

Working...
                      X