which welding machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which welding machine?

I learned to weld before MIG or TIG, only used stick machines. Most work done farm, ranch stuff, lots of corner braces, pens, built several pole barns and equipment. Don't need AL, stainless welding just blacksmithing projects and a little of the previous things like gates and pens.
    The big box store has the Lincoln cracker box (that's what I've heard it called) for 300$. Not familiar with other welders besides similar Miller machines some combo generator welders and of course shop models. Don't plan to weld with gas if I got something besides the arc type.

Advice or suggestions appreciated. Also what are advantages and limitations.

Which ever brand you get, be sure to get an AC/DC machine and not just an AC machine. There are only about 3 or 4 rods made for AC and hundreds made for DC. With DC, you can weld cast iron and stainless and even aluminum, but it is very hard to do. You can also get much smaller rods for DC, down to at least 1/16". An AC/DC machine will cost you more but is well worth the difference in my opinion.

Comment

So you only want to stick?

If you want a good Lincoln get on Craigslist. Bunch of them for sale on there

Comment

I bought a Hobart gas welder last October. It’s the bigger gas machine with a 12000 watt generator on it. That thing welds amazingly good. I also have a Lincon cracker box in my shop and I’ve had it for years. It welds good but limited to where I can use it. I bought the Hobart from Tractor Supply

Comment

Working...
        X