Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #51
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I wonder how many major league managers have been fired after four years in which he won two division titles and a manager of the year. He must have really lost the players along the way.

It's starting to sound as though this has been an ongoing issue. It still surprises me.

I think the timing and urgency with which this happened may be an attempt to get Beltre to play another season, and keep Elvis around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #52
J&M Hamilton10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I was curious so I looked it up - 32 different pitchers have taken the mound for the Rangers this year. Team ERA is around 5. The fact that Bartolo Colon - who nobody thought would make any team - started 25+ games pretty much says it all. (kinda enjoyed watching him though for the spectacle) Pretty depressing when you look at their AA/AAA pitching staffs as well.
Minors staff is depressing but injuries got our top talent this year.
J&M Hamilton10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #53
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger300 View Post
Daniels needs to hit the road!!!
Absolutely!
gekko man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #54
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Sounds like the polar opposite of wash, Iím sure that wasnít by accident either. No offense really like him at third base for us but not as the skipper

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 09-21-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #55
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
Daniels is the problem. He's made some bad moves the last few years.
This sums it up
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #56
wellingtontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Yep

Should have fired JD
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #57
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

I've only ever known of one GM, the great Bob Gainey, that fired himself. GM's, and sr. mgmt. in general, never blame themselves. I don't know how Bannister could have been expected to compete with the roster he had this year or last. Not enough pitching, and not enough hitting, and not nearly enough defense.

That being said, i don't know how he was in the clubhouse. The "leadership" thing was fun. I was yelling at the tv a bunch though with frustrating pitching decisions, poor base running, etc. I guess maybe if he gets another chance we'll see what he has.

I don't know who can turn it around. Well, i take that back. JD can. When he gets some pitching in here, jettisons the likes of Ryan Rua, and upgrades at about 5 or 6 field positions, the next manager will probably be a genius.

Oh well, managers are hired to be fired. Onward through the fog.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #58
easeup
Ten Point

lifetime Ranger fan here too. JD is not the guy. We need a change
easeup is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #59
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Who would you guys hire to replace JD?

Whom would you have hired back whenever he made the first move you knew was wrong?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #60
Billy Shipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where ever I'm invited

I'm a Rangers fan, I do not like JD but I think Banister was doing an acceptable job with what he was given to work with....that old adage....you buy s####, you get S ###....Daniels threw in some real hacks like Rua and that obnoxious gum smacking Robinson, neither one would make a wart on ball players a## and I'm not sure Calhoun is any better. It sounds like Banister made someone mad so they fired him.....pretty tasteless in my book since they only have 10 games left and no chance of doing anything. Why didn't they let the last 10 games play out and make a change in the off season. Daniels lost what little respect I had left for him after this deal.
Billy Shipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #61
Richard M.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
Reports came in this week this was a possibility, Evan Grant wrote this could happen last year when they did not extend Banny...that could mean he wasn't the man for the rebuild.

It's not about wins and loses JD made it clear this was a rebuilding year... it's the clubhouse and half his players seemed to hate him.
I believe this is the issue. He seemed like a great guy during interviews, but something was going on behind closed doors and he had a group of players that couldnít stand him. Something was definitely wrong in the clubhouse. It certainly wasnít about wins and losses.

JD is not as bad as everyone makes out. No team makes a run like we did without sacrificing young talent that catches up to you. Everyone goes through a rebuild at some point. If there is an issue here itís drafting and developing pitching. Thatís not on just one person, but a scouting and coaching at lower levels.
Richard M. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #62
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Bye bye Bannie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M. View Post
I believe this is the issue. He seemed like a great guy during interviews, but something was going on behind closed doors and he had a group of players that couldnít stand him. Something was definitely wrong in the clubhouse. It certainly wasnít about wins and losses.

JD is not as bad as everyone makes out. No team makes a run like we did without sacrificing young talent that catches up to you. Everyone goes through a rebuild at some point. If there is an issue here itís drafting and developing pitching. Thatís not on just one person, but a scouting and coaching at lower levels.

So if this is true, this teamís players start losing and they start blaming the manager instead of themselves. They did the same to Wash.

Watching the games and their interactions, Iíd have never thought these guys didnít like Bannie..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #63
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
So if this is true, this teamís players start losing and they start blaming the manager instead of themselves. They did the same to Wash.

Watching the games and their interactions, Iíd have never thought these guys didnít like Bannie..

I wouldn't have thought it either, but that seems to be the narrative coming out...I can't think of any other reason he'd be fired now.

The team didn't quit on Wash, he ran into some weird, off field issues if you recall.

Strange, either way.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #64
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Bye bye Bannie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I wouldn't have thought it either, but that seems to be the narrative coming out...I can't think of any other reason he'd be fired now.

The team didn't quit on Wash, he ran into some weird, off field issues if you recall.

Strange, either way.

Sure sure... extra marital affair I think but the way they played, there was talk about his way and message falling on deaf ears.

Last edited by Smart; 09-21-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #65
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Think it had more to do with the cocaine..

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 09-22-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #66
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sure sure... extra marital affair I think but the way they played, there was talk about his way and message falling on deaf ears.

I don't recall the latter, I recall the players loving Wash and being devastated. I was ready for Wash to go though, I do remember that.

Still weird.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #67
Richard M.
Ten Point

Quote:

Not at all. I donít think there was any real expectations on winning with the line ups in the field and the pitching they were rolling out there. I donít know what was going on in the clubhouse but there certainly was and is the only thing that explains his firing like Dale said.

I agree that surprises me too. It sure looked on the field that they had great chemistry even if they werenít winning.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:33 AM   #68
J&M Hamilton10
Ten Point

Wasn't the Wash thing about some Japanese reporter he hit on....whatever it was, why he quit and how it was kept so quiet has been amazing.

Under JD the Rangers have gone to the playoffs 4 times with one wild card and two AL Pennants.

He built and stacked those two World Series teams. I'm not a massive fan but come on I think he deserves the chance to rebuild this thing. He gets three years for me and we will see what this looks like then. Still can't believe after Cruz turned down the option JD didn't give and get him back here. That right handed bat would have been huge in those Blue Jays series.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #69
J&M Hamilton10
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't recall the latter, I recall the players loving Wash and being devastated. I was ready for Wash to go though, I do remember that.

Still weird.

Your right, players were shocked
Old 09-22-2018, 04:33 AM   #70
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Daniels needs to go.
Beltre retires and becomes the manager..
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #71
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Daniels needs to go.
Beltre retires and becomes the manager..
Heck, he doesn't have to retire he could be a part time player/manager like Pete Rose done for a few more years.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #72
eradicator
Pope & Young

John Hart's model is not sustainable. That's why he has bounced around. He goes in, turns it around, and there is a 3-5yr window for the club to win. JD is a John Hart disciple and runs it essentially the same way. He's a business man with the short term in mind. There is not a long term plan. It is what it is.

For the guys talking about Nolan earlier, regardless of his title he played a HUGE role. He was the one holding the pitching staff to an accountability standard. When Nolan walks into the clubhouse, you listen. It's just the way it is. He's doing the same thing in Houston. It's different as a player when you have to answer to someone that actually played baseball.
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #73
Richard M.
Ten Point

It’s hard to say for sure either way how much influence Nolan has or had with either Houston or Texas. In both instances he walked in with the talent already in place. He is great to have around the club, but I’d wager Houston would have still won the ws without him. The were just the more talented team.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #74
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
Think it had more to do with the cocaine..

This is what I remember

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...use-of-affair/
Old 09-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #75
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
It's starting to sound as though this has been an ongoing issue. It still surprises me.

I think the timing and urgency with which this happened may be an attempt to get Beltre to play another season, and keep Elvis around.

Iíve been wondering about this. Does Elvis want to stick around for a rebuild when he can opt out? I was surprised they didnít trade him for something and then try to get him back with a new contact going forward ala what the yanks did with Chapman. If Beltre sticks around for a rebuild it is a testament to his love for the game and the city.

rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #76
Peta-hata
Ten Point

I think JD wants a Latino coach to help gel the young nucleus of latino players, someone like Alex Cora would be a perfect fit. Not sure who that someone is yet but Iím betting thatís what Daniels is wanting.
Peta-hata is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #77
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

[QUOTE=Smart;13640172]This is what I remember

[url]https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ron-washington-says-he-resigned-from-rangers-because

Just pure speculation on my end. thought it was strange reason to leave. Not saying an affair is ok but Iím sure he wasnít the first one and I donít remember any that left for this reason before him. He left in good standing with the club and players I thought anyway it felt like it a lot of information was left out when he left. Leads me to think his history with drugs was a possible factor, I could be dead wrong though.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #78
J&M Hamilton10
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
John Hart's model is not sustainable. That's why he has bounced around. He goes in, turns it around, and there is a 3-5yr window for the club to win. JD is a John Hart disciple and runs it essentially the same way. He's a business man with the short term in mind. There is not a long term plan. It is what it is.

For the guys talking about Nolan earlier, regardless of his title he played a HUGE role. He was the one holding the pitching staff to an accountability standard. When Nolan walks into the clubhouse, you listen. It's just the way it is. He's doing the same thing in Houston. It's different as a player when you have to answer to someone that actually played baseball.
Your right on Nolan, JD has rebuilt this team once and did it mostly through trades. John Hart is go get veteran free agents to turn it around spend all the $ on bad contracts.

JD has made some bad deals but has also made some great ones. He deserves a chance to rebuild this team again.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #79
quackerback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: down the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDuke View Post
Once again the Ranger's leadership runs off the wrong man.

JD, the smug little ivy league punk, is who should have left in place of Ryan.

They have should send him packing instead of Nolan...likewise with this move!

Let's consider the facts:

Rangers before Ryan arrival - 4 consecutive seasons below 500
Rangers after Ryan arrival - 5 straight winning seasons (all 1st or 2nd place in division)

Ryan leaves to help his son with the Astros...

Astros had 6 losing seasons prior to Nolans arrival
Astros have 5 consecutive winning seasons, winning 2 divisions and World Series since Nolan arrived
Rangers have 3 losing seasons out of 5 since Ryan left
Ryan had nothing to do with the personnel. JD brought the players in and Houston has been building their team for a while. Everything I have read is there was a problem in the clubhouse. This is all on bannister
quackerback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top