Help! My wild hog pulled pork is too salty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! My wild hog pulled pork is too salty

Last time I made this recipe, it was so **** salty that I threw it out without eating. Because it was a little gamey, I brined the meat in salt water for 36 hours before cooking. Y'all think that was the only culprit? Here's the recipe I used. Think I used a shoulder IIRC.

Bring out your inner BBQ master with this Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork recipe. Just 10 easy minutes of prep, and then let the slow cooker do most of the work for you. Once the pork roast is cooked and tender, shred it up and choose your level of spice by adding in your family's favorite BBQ sauce for delicious smoky or spicy pulled pork that makes you the kitchen hero.

From the web:

It is not a myth to add potatoes to a dish to reduce salt. I am a Chef and have done this many times with great success. Milk also works.

Simple had a couple of halved raw potatoes to your dish allow them to cook together for 30 minutes or so on a low heat and then remove the potatoes. Do not allow your dish to reduce (lose too much liquid as this will increase the saltiness)

Comment

If you're going to brine, don't add more salt until after you've tasted the final product. Or slice off a little piece first and fry it to see how salty it is.
      Last edited by sir shovelhands; 06-20-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I don't mean to insult you but you rinsed it after the brine, right? I use the potato method occasionally. A bit of vinegar can cut salt too

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          I don't mean to insult you but you rinsed it after the brine, right? I use the potato method occasionally. A bit of vinegar can cut salt too
          I did. I think the whole brine thing was a mistake though. Might try milk this time.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            I did. I think the whole brine thing was a mistake though. Might try milk this time.
            We did a whole hog in the "Cajun microwave" a couple weeks ago. It was purchased from a butcher though. We just injected.

Wait, I understood that suggestion as adding milk to your dish/sauce to reduce saltiness, like my vinegar suggestion. Not to soak it in milk. But then again, I soak venison/chicken for a bit in buttermilk before frying. You'd think that with the size of the hog, you'd need a long time to penetrate the meat. Soaking meat in milk for a extended periods of time sounds like a bad idea. Purely guessing though...
            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 06-20-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
              We did a whole hog in the "Cajun microwave" a couple weeks ago. It was purchased from a butcher though. We just injected.

Wait, I understood that suggestion as adding milk to your dish/sauce to reduce saltiness, like my vinegar suggestion. Not to soak it in milk. But then again, I soak venison/chicken for a bit in buttermilk before frying. You'd think that with the size of the hog, you'd need a long time to penetrate the meat. Soaking meat in milk for a extended periods of time sounds like a bad idea. Purely guessing though...
              I am open to suggestions.

Comment

Bump

Comment

So, make some brown gravy without salt; make some rice without salt. Simmer the pork in the brown gravy with chopped onions and bell pepper for a bit and serve over the rice. The salt in the pork should be evened out for a nice combination of flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                    So, make some brown gravy without salt; make some rice without salt. Simmer the pork in the brown gravy with chopped onions and bell pepper for a bit and serve over the rice. The salt in the pork should be evened out for a nice combination of flavor.
                    Thank you, but I’m not looking to save the salty dish I made a long time ago. I’m looking to avoid making such a salty pulled pork in the future.

Comment

What size pig are you cooking?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

36 hours in the brine is the likely culprit. 12 should be plenty.

Comment

Yep, all good

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                          36 hours in the brine is the likely culprit. 12 should be plenty.
                          Cut your brine time, don't use any additional salt while cooking, taste near done, add salt or potatoes as needed. Good input overall IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                            Cut your brine time, don't use any additional salt while cooking, taste near done, add salt or potatoes as needed. Good input overall IMHO
                            Thanks. Do I even need to brine if I'm doing crockpot pulled pork?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              Thanks. Do I even need to brine if I'm doing crockpot pulled pork?
                              Short answer, no.

Comment

Working...
                              X