South Texas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas.

Just getting a feel for what others are seeing. Up/down on horns? Numbers etc....

Surprisingly down for me In Deep South Texas. Don't know why, we had good rain most of the year and browse was great all the way through September.

I'm hoping the mature deer are just hiding out. The only mature deer I have on camera in the past three months is a 6 yr old 12 point that might go 115".

But on the bright side we had a great fawn crop, and some very decent two and three year olds.

Comment

I haven't seen a mature buck all year long just spikes and young bucks here and there

Comment

So far it has been a really weird year. Seeing tons of 1-4 yr old bucks. Plenty of doe and not nearly as many as fawns as the last 3 years. Not seeing many mature bucks on camera or from the stands. I have hunted 12 sits so far this year and have yet to see a cull or management buck. The few 5.5 or older bucks I have seen have been 145+. We have to kill 25 bucks this year and have only shot 1. Nobody is seeing any to shoot. I know they are out there just not showing themselves. It is greener now then I have ever seen it this time of year in the last 25 years. Hopefully they will start showing up when it gets cooler and closer to the rut. It would be nice to at least wear a jacket to the stand. I've hunted in shorts every sit this year.

Comment

Seeing more deer every week. Can't wait til it gets cold

Comment

Deer are out there but just haven't kicked into the next gear...we REALLY need a good frost in Starr.

Heck, it was in the mid 90's in the valley today!!

Comment

Have seen mature bucks on the move but don't seem to be coming to the corn, need a good freeze soon. Only younger bucks coming to corn. Plenty of deer though and good number of yearlings.

Comment

South texas

Our horns are good but it sounds the same forums. Lots of babies and youngsters. Mature deer are numbered. Am seeing a little early rutting activity. Roughed up does. Some does are getting skinny.

Comment

Just got back from a trip in Webb County, ranch owner was saying they have more young-big bucks than ever. Also got to put my hands on a 208" deer the owner took on Saturday, holy cow..

Comment

South texas

Correct me if I am wrong but was 2011 really dry followed by the last years really wet so numbers of 5 and up were hit the hardest? We too have an abundance of 4 and below aged bucks and the 4 year olds look like monster bodied deer for age.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                      Correct me if I am wrong but was 2011 really dry followed by the last years really wet so numbers of 5 and up were hit the hardest? We too have an abundance of 4 and below aged bucks and the 4 year olds look like monster bodied deer for age.
                      2011 was really dry and that is the reason we don't have to many 5 year olds running around. We should still have plenty of 6+ year olds though. They were there at the end of last year but several have not shown up yet.

Comment

Doe and baby #'s are way down for us this year...no clue why with all the rain. Seeing a ton of 1-2 year old bucks. More than ever before. Only seen 3 deer all year so far 4+ yrs old

Comment

Originally posted by trey.c View Post
                          I haven't seen a mature buck all year long just spikes and young bucks here and there
                          How it was for us but last weekend old bucks got up and moved

Comment

I think its just too hot. I had a couple really good bucks brought in the shop a few weeks back, when that first little cold spell hit. This weekend should get stuff moving around..

Comment

We had a good fawn crop this year and the young bucks are showing good potential. The older deer have either stayed the same as last season or shown exceptional improvements.

It had been slow for us during bow season with only 1.5-4.5 year olds being sited and some mature bucks but every week we see more and more new deer, and the more mature bucks are starting to make their presence known on the cameras.

Comment

Working...
                              X