Busted water line not marked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are having a new fence installed so I submitted a request on 811 to have the utilities marked. I have an email that says we are free to work after 9/15. Today the fence builder hit a water line that was not marked and the water company is ******. This is a small town in burleson county and I explained to them that we submitted a request to Texas 811 and this utility was not on the list or marked. The water company is threatening to send a bill for the repair. Anyone know if we are responsible? How was I supposed to know there was a water line there if it was not marked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slabnabbin; 09-22-2017, 01:38 PM.

811 sucks and isn't dependable but I do believe you're covered since they came out.

Comment

The short answer is you are responsible. 811 only marks utilities listed (gas, electric, communication). Water lines are not something you can locate because they are most often in pvc, not metal lines.

Since it was a fence being installed that busted the line, I'm assuming the break was between the meter and your home, which usually would be your responsibility to fix, not the water co.

Texas One Call (811), even states the utilities they call to locate and that it is your responsibility to get with any other utility.

Comment

811 does not mark water lines. Good luck with it all...

Comment

What Sackett said.

Comment

Are there any marks left that you can see...if there is take a pic and show them where the marks are...pic is worth 1000$...so to speak

Comment

Geeez this sucks
              It's actually the property line so the break was between our meter and the main line. I had no idea we had any obligations other than 811.
              Feel bad for the neighbors without water right now and the water company is on super ****** being a Friday afternoon.
              No telling how high this bill will be.

Last edited by slabnabbin; 09-22-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

If you'll read the fine print on the one call ticket it tells you that many times city utilities will not be notified but even if they are notified most only show up about half the time. About all the one call is good for is to help spread the blame in case of a lawsuit. If we're working within the borders of city or town we go to the offices personally to have lines located. Your fence builder is going to be the responsible party though, his company was physically doing the digging, legally he's the responsible party for obtaining the one call and insuring the all clear to work. It's actually illegal for him to dig under your one call ticket.

Comment

Next question is the property owner responsible or the contractor that is building the fence?

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    If you'll read the fine print on the one call ticket it tells you that many times city utilities will not be notified but even if they are notified most only show up about half the time. About all the one call is good for is to help spread the blame in case of a lawsuit. If we're working within the borders of city or town we go to the offices personally to have lines located. Your fence builder is going to be the responsible party though, his company was physically doing the digging, legally he's the party for obtaining the one call and insuring the all clear to work. It's actually illegal for him to dig under your one call ticket.

Oh boy. He actually called us and told us WE had to call 811 before he would proceed. He's a nice guy and great fence builder, I hate to stick this on him but it sounds like he's at fault. This really sucks all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
                      Next question is the property owner responsible or the contractor that is building the fence?

The city water department is not going to care who dug the hole / damaged the water line. If they send a bill, it will go to the account holder. The rest will be between you and the fence contractor. Good luck with all that...

Comment

See post above, we do 40-60 one calls per month, we've made just about every mistake there is to make (short of getting someone hurt or worse). You think those water guys are po'd? Go down the street and dig into a fiber optic cable, shoot we thought they was gonna call out swat and the national gaurd!

Comment

Yes you have to call water company seperate. I did, they came out, looked around, said they could not figure out where line was and to call if we hit it. Sure enough we did, they came with a mini excavator, fixed it. they have some neat slip on collars to fix the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
                            Geeez this sucks
                            It's actually the property line so the break was between our meter and the main line. I had no idea we had any obligations other than 811.
                            Feel bad for the neighbors without water right now and the water company is on super ****** being a Friday afternoon.
                            No telling how high this bill will be.

Sounds like they hit the water main if your neighbor will be out of water. If water service to meter, they should be able to valve off without affecting anyone else. If water main, do they have an easement for that main assuming the fence was on your property?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              811 does not mark water lines. Good luck with it all...
                              This.

Comment

Working...
                              X