$10,000 to use wisely - Travel Trailer or Portable Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$10,000 to use wisely - Travel Trailer or Portable Building

I know there have been a couple threads but here's my young buck brain thinking outloud.

Option 1 - $10,000 RV

I would keep this at a local storage facility while not out at the land to have less of a chance that mice, snakes, etc don't get all up in my business. Buy a cover and park it for about $60 a month. Doesn't add too much to my trip, time wise.

Option 2 - $5000 Portable Home, $5000 in decking it out, insulation, walls, electricity, etc.

For this one, I would need to build as I go. I know this will be much more time consuming but at least it will be a true 4 walls and get my hands dirty in the contracting world.

Now the ONLY kicker is that eventually my dad and uncle have talked about putting a barndominium out there, hence why the 2 options are both mobile. So eventually i'll have to move it out. I will be buying a 20' shipping container to storage to leave things we need on the land all the time.

Land is about 100 acres or so. I will usually have me plus 1 or 2 MAYBE 3 other people out there hunting with me at a time. Probably not all will hunt but sleeping for 4 is a must.

Thoughts?

Edited title to reflect that this is not an investment.
    Last edited by HtownCityBoy; 01-24-2017, 07:25 PM.

Neither option is an "investment". The travel trailer would be easier to sell when the time comes and would come with heat, AC and hot water with holdingtanks...I would go with the RV. The building would be cooler though if only you weren't going to have to move it later.
    Last edited by Cantcatch5; 01-24-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I went portable building, much more room.

Edit: it's not an investment, but it will keep the mice out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
        Neither option is an "investment". The travel trailer would be easier to sell when the time comes.
        Touche my friend.

I guess I view it as, which one is going to give me less headaches for the period of time that I have it ie more ROI and peace of mind lol

Comment

Portable building without a doubt! Travel trailer will be junk within a few years.

Comment

buy 2-40' conexs an build it for camp and storage. you can pick up cargo worthy hi cubes for 1599.00 ea if you look around. i am about to build a house out of 6 of them.

Comment

From those 2 choices I would buy the 2-5 acres of land!

Wait that wasn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                From those 2 choices I would buy the 2-5 acres of land!
                haha i've got the hardest part down with my family already having the land.

I'd just rather not stay in a tent for longer than I have to not to mention bringing other family, buddies, future wife out there.

Comment

Originally posted by HtownCityBoy View Post
                  Touche my friend.

I guess I view it as, which one is going to give me less headaches for the period of time that I have it ie more ROI and peace of mind lol
                  How long before it would have to be moved?

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    Portable building without a doubt! Travel trailer will be junk within a few years.
                    This. I've had three, and all of them required something repaired constantly. Most of them are junk after a few years IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                      How long before it would have to be moved?
                      Lord knows honestly. If I were a betting man, I would say it would never come to fruition till both are retired and the way that's looking it could be 5-10 years before that happens.

Comment

I went a different route. For that kind of money, you can build yourself a really nice trailer.

Comment

At my age if I had 10k extra to spend I'm thinking hookers and beer.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                            buy 2-40' conexs an build it for camp and storage. you can pick up cargo worthy hi cubes for 1599.00 ea if you look around. i am about to build a house out of 6 of them.
                            Start a thread when you do it. Would love to see what you do.

OP, Do the trailer, you can move it and sell it easier if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
                              I went a different route. For that kind of money, you can build yourself a really nice trailer.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...light=Portable
                              I saw that thread and I have pretty good knowledge with what to do/not to do with a trailer like that. We converted a 6x12 into an awesome tailgate trailer.

However, I think it would be an issue with the family of staying in that, to where they'd rather stay in the hotel 20 mins away.

Comment

Working...
                              X