besst way to fine tune a slug gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

besst way to fine tune a slug gun

I have a Remington 870 with a rifled cantilever barrel installed. I would like to get out to 100 yrds in a good grouping. Any suggestions? I have several brands to play with. Right now at 50 yards I would call it 5" groups. That's shooting a combo of 2-3/4" and 3" magnums. I was getting my feet wet so to speak. I need to get this one fine tuned as it will be my go to gun this season. Thoughts ammo to see what the gun will like. I prefer to stay away from the magnums. Can these things reach out to 200 yards with accuracy?

PM bloodtrail aka Leon

He knows more about slugs than anyone else I know

Comment

Grab as many different sabot slugs as you can, shoot them all until you find the best match. My brothers gun shoots the fast Hornady's best, mine likes the slower cheap Remington or Winchester (no longer made) loads. Both 870's...

3" groups at 100 yards is achievable. Unfortunately 200 yards is not a distance you should ever try shooting an animal with this setup IMO.

Comment

You should be able to improve on a 5” group at 50 yards. Just keep shooting different slugs. Make sure you have a good quality scope and mounting system. 12 gauge kicks hard enough to jar them loose and make things move around.

Comment

Also need to add...slugs in a shotgun, kick like a mule.

Comment

My Winchester loves the Winchester supreme and remington copper solids hates many brands so its about testing ..

being that the recoil is heavy and your going to be testing . I would suggest beg borrowing a lead sled to drop that bad boy in to get the gun shooting.. Most guys are flinching after 10 rounds or so .

They can be very accurate at long range coming from a state where that is all we could shoot in the lower part you get very good at making it work .

Comment

Get some bags, a shoulder pad, and as many different types of ammo as you can get. FWIW, my Mossberg 930 smoothbore shoots Fiocchi low recoil slugs around 2.5” with iron sights.

Comment

To get the best most consistent accuracy out of the 870 have a gunsmith drill and tap a set screw that goes through the receiver and into the hood on the barrel. This give a tight lock up. As far as slugs, mine liked hornady sst. Could get 1 1/2” groups all day at a 100 yards As far as a 200 yard shot, it’s do able but you need to know what your hold over is. This is where the mil dots come in handy. I think I was 2 mil hold at 200. It’s been awhile since I switched to a lower redoing gun for my daughter. H&R ultra slug in 20 ga. It’s at I driver and no longer made

Comment

Mt 870 really liked the Lightfield 2 3/4" slugs, at 50 yard it would shoot a clover leaf. Granted the group was 1 1/2" my problem was the wind drift at 100, those big hourglass slugs would really drift with a 10 mph crosswind.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                    You should be able to improve on a 5” group at 50 yards. Just keep shooting different slugs. Make sure you have a good quality scope and mounting system. 12 gauge kicks hard enough to jar them loose and make things move around.

Yep, good scope to handle the recoil. Or you will go through several. I'm on my 6th scope for one of my slug guns. Hope this one holds up for a while. The others were cheapies. My other slug gun has a good scope. And no issues with it so far. I've also had it on an '06 for 20+ years prior to moving it to my best slugger. It's a 4-12X.

And 200 yards is certainly doable with practice and the right load/gun combo.

Edit: 6th scope was after 25+ years on one slug gun. And I don't know how many slugs. I've been shoot-n and hunting with slugs a lot longer than that, since the late 1970s.
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-19-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Try some of these.

Comment

Working...
                      X