Hog wire vs. chain link fence questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog wire vs. chain link fence questions

Now that the house is finished I need to put up a fence out back to keep the dogs and grandkids in. Been looking at black chain link but want to compare to a hog wire fence using either cedar or pipe painted black. I like the looks better than chain link. Can anybody give me some feedback on costs and plus minus of each? Attached some pics of what I'm looking for.

The bolltom black pipe is horse pannels. They will last WAY longer and are WAY stronger. Pipe and horse panels would be best if you can afford it. Last time I checked horse pannels were $60 for a 20 ft panel or so. Tractor supply carries them.

Comment

I just like the look of the cedar with hog panel better. Can go a little cheaper and get similar look using welded wire or woven field fence.

Comment

I am not a fencing expert.

If budget is the determining factor though. Chain link will be cheaper.

The wood fence looks really nice. But wood does not last forever, so if you plan on this being a "forever" home. May want to just go ahead and build it with pipe. Will last forever and you will never have to mess with it again.

Comment

Get a couple fence builders to give you quotes.

Comment

What you have pictured is 2"x4" Horse panels. Those will run you ~$75 for a 16ft. You can get Utility panels with 4"x4" squares. for ~$50/each for 60"H x 16ft long.

Comment

I just built a 4 rail fence with welded wire, corral boards, and 4X4's with concrete for the posts. Cost for just materials was right around $8.00 per LF. It adds up quick!

Comment

I used hog panels. The down side I had to put chicken wire on it to keep the dogs in. I still don't see how a fully grown Catahoula can slip thru a 4x6 opening. But mine can.

Comment

I build fence around Denton if you are close and interested I can give quote you a price on the 2x4.

Comment

Chain link will run you about $4 LF if you do it yourself.

Comment

Another thing to think about is pipe and 2x4 net wire it will be cheaper that the welded wire panels. Tsc actually calls it welded wire, but it comes in a 100’ roll. I used it on my backyard for my dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X