Deer Stand---questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Stand---questions

I am thinking about making deer stand frames out of 1"x1" square tubing in class, as a project then trying to sell them.

My thought process is that some people would like to have a metal framed stand but cannot weld, or know someone that can. But if they could buy a metal frame then they could skin it with whatever they wanted, metal, wood, build a platform for it, whatever.

We are currently building one for someone that is 6' x 6' and was thinking of doing another to sell. I would make them with the door framed and hinged. I was thinking of making the window openings, framed out 12" tall and 24" wide.

Do you think I can move them?
    I am located in Atascocita, (Humble)

How much should I put for asking price?

Just trying to get some ideas here---We usually build a couple of BBQ pits a year. But I think the guys learn more from these. More planning more figuring.

Thanks--I wasn't sure where to post this, so I started here!

In for responses. Are we talking elevated on the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
      In for responses. Are we talking elevated on the ground?

For ease of being generic I was thinking on the ground. But a person could build a platform for it.

I forgot pictures of the one we are building now.
      Attached Files

Comment

I don’t know about your area, but there’s a welding shop near me that builds a few every year. They must sell them because they disappear and next year there’s some new ones out. I think I would research the popular sizes of factory made windows (like Deerview) and size windows accordingly. I would also frame up for an RV door as that is much more simple (and better) than a shopmade door. Good luck !

Comment

I like the idea. I dont even know what to throw out there price wise, but I think there could be a market for those. Heck, with the right price I would get one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
            I like the idea. I dont even know what to throw out there price wise, but I think there could be a market for those. Heck, with the right price I would get one for sure.
            Same I'm contemplating building a trailer blind, but if the price is right I sure wouldn't mind a better looking blind than what I would probably end up with, with my sorry welding skills

Comment

This stand is the one that started the thought process. He has provided everything for this one so I don't have any idea what it cost.

This is the door we made on another and plan on using everytime. Fits very nice.

The door is 6' tall and 30" wide. We used a 6' piano hinge on the door.

The sheet metal for this stand was purchased at Triple S Steel. I do not remember what he paid for it, I think he said around $7 per foot and it is 43" wide. They cut it to your dimensions.

****I cannot figure out how to make the pictures the right way sorry****
              Attached Files

Comment

Please put me on the list. I would like one on a 4 or 5 ft stand, if that's an option.

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

I would buy one, depending on the price. I think you would have to price them comparable to the cost of 2x4's used to frame out a stand. If I were to buid one out of wood, a 6x6, I would use twenty four 2x4's. I can get them for $3 each, so that would be $72. Plus the screws or nails needed to frame it up would cost around $50 for me. So, I guess what I am saying is that I would pay $125 for a metal frame like the one in your pics. Is it worth it to buy the metal and spend all that time welding? I could not tell you because I cant weld worth dog poop.

Comment

Let the bidding begin...

Comment

What did you use for the window tracks on the camo blond?

Comment

Those are really nice, and I’m sure would sell. Personally, I would think that a quad tower stand frame would appeal to a broader audience. Giving the buyer the option of finishing the box (likely with 2x4s) to the style of his choice, either with sides only, sides with a roof, or fully enclosed. I would be interested in purchasing something like this.

Comment

I use to build them out of 1" 16ga. square tubing. The cost then ( 2015) was around $100 for the tubing to build a 4x6 box stand frame with a 30" door frame. You have to figure in cut off blades, weld wire, door hinge, paint (primer) and electricity. And of course labor.

Comment

Originally posted by 9toes View Post
                              I use to build them out of 1" 16ga. square tubing. The cost then ( 2015) was around $100 for the tubing to build a 4x6 box stand frame with a 30" door frame. You have to figure in cut off blades, weld wire, door hinge, paint (primer) and electricity. And of course labor.

This is so true for business. These are being built by students and we are going to use this to fund our shop projects. Whether it is another stand, or other things we need in the shop. I factor most of those things in when pricing.

The people that hit me up for a "good deal" they don't get what we are doing. Can you do this cheaper at your house than I will sell it for--sure can! I will even tell you how we did it. Just trying to get these guys in my class some real world building experience before they hit the real world. Show them some advantages of learning to weld vs paying someone else!

Comment

Working...
                              X