McAlester Here We Come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meangene1969 View Post
    Good luck today. I'm freezing my but off in my blind. It was 34 this morning and frost.
    Same up here!

Bisch

Comment

It is an awsome day to be siiting in the woods watchimg the natural world go on around you! Just had a squirrel about 5 feet from me checking me out; thought he was going to jump in my lap there for a minute.
      Setting up in the rain was a challenge (wet, slippery trees to clumb in rubber boots), but wegot it done.
      I saw a goofy little spike the first morning; he doesn't have anything on the left side and the spike on the right side grows dtraight down the side of his face for a few inches then straight out to the side about 5 or 6 inches. It is black because it is covered with dried velvet. It also looks like it tried to fork right at the end. He's the only deer I saw in the morning. Yesterday afternoon/evening I saw a young 7 pt. He looked to be 1. 1/2 and already has a decent rack. Right at dark another deer came by but it was to late in the day for these old eyes to tell anything about it.
      This morning - 'Goofy', my name for the spike from yesterday, showed up again. This time he stayed quite awhile. He was quartered away from both sides and broadside from both sides in all 3 of my shooting lanes. The distances varied from 5 yds on out. Considered shooting him a few times but not sure I want him to be my buck for this hunt just yet. If he gives me that same opportunity tomorrow morning he may not get to grow old.

Comment

Good luck guys. It's been a slow morning here except for the hog I shot.

Comment

Bisch it was a pleasure to meet you all. I changed my tactics for today. I am hunting from the ground. I started out on a greenfield with nothing showing up. I then still hunted east of the greenfield and found a trail they had used pretty good sense Thursday. Found me a spot to hunt the trail and set up there. Had three does come by 10 yards away from me on my backside but was to much heavy brush between us for me to attempt my shot.

Comment

Good luck this afternoon yall, we're all pulling for ya!

Comment

Well, we found a new place today with fresh sign and acorns dropping from the red oaks. I'm sitting in a brush blind waiting to see what happens.

Bisch

Comment

I'm not too far from him in a similar place. I'm in a lock-on though. Sure hope the move pans out for us all

Comment

Good luck guys

Comment

Good luck guys..

Comment

On my end I struck out this evening and didn't see anything. Hopefully Bisch and them had better luck than I did tonight. Oh well one more hunt tomorrow morning to go.

Comment

The new spot was a bust for me; didn't see anything. Came back to my original tree this morning thinking I'd at least see Goofy and maybe shoot him. The sun is just breaking the horizon and he's not here yet. He was already here by this time the two previous mornings. I'll enjoy the sunrise and see what happens

Got a text from Jim that he shot a hog. Haven't heard from Bisch.

Comment

Well, hunt is done and we're headed home. Jim recovered his boar-99 lbs field dressed. Made a perfect shot through the heart. Bisch and I neither one saw anything.
                          I feel like I learned a lot and hope to get the chance to hunt there again.

Comment

Just got home myself from the hunt. The last morning was the most exciting for me. The bad part is I blew my chance at a big buck by moving my foot at the wrong time when I was tucked under a cedar tree. Anyways it was a great and very tuff hunt this year and look forward to doing it again.

Comment

Working...
                            X