Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 08-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #51
wytex
Six Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

TWP has a good plan. We have way less hunting pressure and plenty of elk. Wyoming is a farther drive than Colorado but we great hunting too.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #52
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Archery elk success is around 11% over all in Colorado. Some research I've done indicates that number is between 5&7% for DIY. Guided hunters tend to have success rates closer to 20%.
I would not assume success. I would be more concerned about getting into an area with a good elk herd and fewer hunters.
Getting an elk out is a lot of work. But with 4 or more people it's not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #53
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwag View Post
Iím told that in order to kill off the beetles it would also kill off a bunch of other stuff that is good for environment. I agree that something needs to be done. Years ago FS planted a bunch on osier MT. They just skinned Neff mountain they may well plant it now that they logged the whole thing. The only visibly bad area is Trujillo meadows as far as beatle kill. Elk creek and wolf creek isnít horrible.
As far as the game is concerned I donít have a reference to speak about any change, but there are still plenty of elk. There are also some great mulies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pine beetle kill is actually a plus for elk and mule deer. Technically natures way of forest thinning. Old dark timbered pine forest are terrible. Go to northern Idaho or even Banff, see what no fire or logging has done. Dead dark moss covered Forrest.

Aspen has had a huge decline over the west, beetles knock back pine, aspen come back, deer and elk populations increase.

Burns are same way
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #54
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Gary: I'm not assuming success as a given; simply wanting to discuss haul-out strategies when a kill IS made. No cart needed to carry out tag soup.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #55
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

If you ever need a young strong back to help I would be interested. LOL
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #56
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

I'm interested, plan on retiring again in 2019 @ 69.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #57
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Okay, Rick, assuming straight DIY in Colorado: how did you and your buddy get in and out and camped in the past? What would you feel the limit would be distance-wise to haul out meat on foot -- have to assume success, right? -- if not using a pack-out service or outfitter (for $500, prolly). A medium size elk may weigh around 500 pounds and over 250 pounds boned out, according to one chart I saw. Seems like the thinking has to start at the end, basically: how to get the meat out? Have seen ideas about it: game cart, make a travois, multiple trips staging it back and forth. Curious how you have done it.

Well bone out lightens the load for sure , game cart if it will work ( some times the cart is way more trouble than its worth or a pack that is made for packing out heavy loads.

Its a bunch of work for sure . 4-6 game bags , several sets of gloves , para cord to hang it so bears do not eat it while you are walking out . I have small tarp , Lay them out to keep your meat clean and free of bugs and flies as you work . If you have no shade and its warm i would cut some brush to try and shade the meat some as well .

If you can hang the quarter that helps better again location will dictate that

I like the de bone method my self . 10-14 lbs per quarter that adds up fast , I also like the gutless method , I also skin in this process some do not I want the meat to cool down . It helps to have friends HA HA . its going to be a few trips and a very long day .

a de boned elk is also much easier to pack . Try to keep the weight mid way up in the pack on the bottom is hard on your back up to high and its easy to fall over .

Warm weather breathable game bag cold plastic is fine
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #58
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Thanks, Wrench. Good info. That's what I'm looking for: how it's really done. Love to see others' ideas, as well.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #59
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Like to see strategies on DIY meat pack-out from any -- old farts, young whippersnappers, in between -- who have done it.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #60
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

I leave in two weeks for a young guy who feels like an old fart elk hunt. Just got over gout, my hip is killing me, and my elbows are subject to blow any time!
KenWood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #61
trouttracker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Sounds great to me and I qualify also so I am in.
trouttracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #62
scoutman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tx,ok,Co,sc

Be careful with meat packing services, some of them share GPS coordinates with buddy's, where elk are taken. Not all but some do, just a heads up.
scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #63
wytex
Six Point

If you don't carry a tarp just skin it and use the hide for the quarters. If gutless, leave the hide on then just lay them hide down. A little dirt or hair on the exposed meat will be cut off anyway during processing.
If no trees to hang the quarters, lay them on some sage or something just off the ground. Even if kind of warm outside, the wind circulating around the meat will help start cooling it right away. If you can haul brush to shade them do it.
Cut the lower legs off the quarters before you pack them out, saves lots on weight. They can be cut at the joint with a good knife.
I can pack a front quarter on any size elk, backs are another matter. Big bulls weigh just enough top make it very hard, I'm 5'6'' 132 lbs. Boned out takes time but really takes off weight. Make sure to remove the lower jaw and ears from the head to pack out the antlers.
We hunt with day packs only then bring in the pack frame for the pack out. With a day pack we can haul out the first small load then make only 2 more with the both of us and pack frames. Haul out the straps and boned out meat first trip , maybe the head if it's the easiest without a pack frame, after that a quarter each gets it done in 2 trips. Small elk maybe two quarters each for one more trip.
Have some rope or paracord in your day pack for hanging quarters if trees nearby while you work, also useful for tying up legs for quartersing or gutting.
We shot elk one year on a 60 + degree day in the wide open. Got them both quartered and placed on top of the small sage bushes around. Made the trip to get the atv and packs for the short haul to the vehicle. Gone about 45 minutes or so, elk quarters were already cool to touch on surface just due to the wind circulation around them even in the sun. Meat was fine .
Make your pack weight manageable and you'll be fine. You may be surprised folks that offer to help with a pack out . I know we would offer help if we saw someone who obviously needed it.

Maybe get some PP for Wyoming and come up for a less pressured hunt. General areas are not bad up here.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #64
Big Russ
Four Point

For what it's worth, I have been going to Colorado since '78, missing only 2 years. Trad only since 2001. I set up a base camp where I can hunt from there, drive a short distance and go on my quad, or go to the Wilderness area and hike in. Many options. Like anywhere, it may rain, but mostly it's great weather. Some years are warmer than others. It is what it is. I like to walk and cow call a little in the morning, and head that way if I get a response. Stay alert. Just because you don't hear them doesn't mean they are not coming. I like to sit on a wallow in the evening. They will come sooner or later. I had several good bulls on camera coming in just after sundown last year. I killed a good 6x6 in 2015 at the wallow. The pack out was a wake up call. Probably about 3/4 mile, a little up hill before hitting the flat ground. 5 loads took me all day. I had game bags, which were a life saver, because it was warm, and the flies were terrible. A bone-in hind quarter, cut off at the knee, weighed 72lbs at the meat
market. Last load with hide and horns and everything else was worse. Should mention that I go alone and will be 64 in 2 weeks. Choose you hunting partners and your choice of shot carefully. Shooting a cow or raghorn in some Hell hole may make you wish you didn't. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #65
trouttracker
Eight Point

This sounds great the more I read the more I want to go.
trouttracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #66
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

i want to go back to new mexico, the trips to colorado,,,i wasn't impressed.
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #67
Matt_C
Ten Point

Rick, I qualify on September 21st I'd be really interested. Let me know.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #68
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO View Post
i want to go back to new mexico, the trips to colorado,,,i wasn't impressed.
There are some awesome areas in NM. Getting drawn is getting tougher all the time.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #69
Restless
Ten Point

I've done the DIY thing some 4 times camping at the trail head for the Saguache Wilderness, one time put out a call on Stickbow and had six guys show. We had a wonderful Time and one Cow Elk was taken. I'm a tad younger at 58 now and hope to go next year again. if I've learned one thing it that the Drop Camp outfitters are hunting the same Elk as you and there's no magic in spending more Money. also learn that going with Younger Primarily Gun Hunters will result in a poor trip as they are sure the Elk are over the next Ridge. Its best to hunt Over the counter Units and roll the dice if you have a Bunch of guys wanting to hunt Together.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #70
DRT
Pope & Young

So4 trips, 6 guys and one cow elk? That's not odd I would take on.
If you get the right outfitter a drop camp is going to be further back than most DIY hunters can or will get.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #71
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

I look at it this way

$1200 is a cheap 10 day vacation these days.

Chasing any critter is a **** good excuse to experince the outdoors (God's country.)

The odds being low of bringing home an elk actually takes the pressure off. I personally will hunt hard... but getting frustrated will only ruin an otherwise good opportunity for a kickass memory.

The best way to make something out of nothing is to have smaller opprotunities available. When I head down south... rabbits fill the emptyness... I plan to bring my fly rod and look for small game opprotunities. Can't even list the number of times I killed a javi after chasing rabbits, etc.

Negative people always find a reason to complain. Been there, done that, being pissy doesn't make it better.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #72
DRT
Pope & Young

It's not a matter of being "pissy". It's a out giving advice to help them be successful.
When I hunt I'm looking to make a kill. The deer lease is different. When I pay to hunt or travel and pay to hunt I'm looking to fill the tag. If I have to take a couple of long weekends to go scout ahead I go. If I have to talk to a dozen outfits I do.
I don't fish to spend time on the lake and relax. Fish to catch fish to weigh in for a paycheck or to eat for the table.
Sure I can have a good time without filling a tag. But that doesn't mean $600 tag soup leaves a good taste in my mouth.
It may hurt your feelings to tell you the truth but after 4 DIY trips i filled two tags and if not for bad shooting and an equipment issue would I would have filled tags on the other two. I've packed 3 elk out and had a blast and one bad trip.
Take what advice you want. But when I head to the mountain I'm there to kill an elk. They are good table fare.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #73
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

I have never gone to the trouble to put in for draws on any hunts. Doubt I will start now.

I'll just find decent OTC places, and run with them as best I can.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #74
DRT
Pope & Young

Draws are just disappointing. I agree OTC is better.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #75
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Saying you wouldn't take those odds AFTER somebody posted thier experience isn't giving advice.

Not everybody has the same motivating factors or depth of pockets.

I know the odds... and I know the minimum buy-in to play the game. I will be framing any unused OTC tag and putting it on the wall... just like my euros or LDPs.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #76
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hope y'all (DRT and Swamp) get to be playing nice soon.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #77
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I for one will not be putting my chance of success in someone else hands in September! If I can’t get it done that’s on me!!
That being said, If I was only after a kill I wouldn’t be hunting with a Trad bow.

Last edited by Randy Madden; 08-11-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #78
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
I for one will not be putting my chance of success in someone else hands in September! If I canít get it done thatís on me!!
That being said, If I was only after a kill I wouldnít be hunting with a Trad bow.
Definitely agree on the last part. If I was determined to kill and elk no matter what I'd save 4 or 5 years and go on a guided hunt with a rifle. I'm fortunate to have a good group of hunting buddies that love shooting trad, and my hunting trips are more about hanging out with them I guess. I stay so busy at work and with the day to day routine that is my life I'll spend a thousand bucks just to go to the mountains and leave it home for a while!! Money well spent in my book.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #79
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I am playing nice.

And there aint nothing wrong with going after meat and using whatever weapon floats your boat. Ain't nothing wrong with hiring a guide too.

It is still all a gamble... or at least it should be. I've seen folks hire a guy, pay to hunt a ranch, and then take it out on them when they don't get anything. It's easy to do when you amp up expectations when you are paying somebody.

But in hindsight, I have tended to realize that while you don't have to be happy with the outcome, you are better off if you focus on the positives and move forward. I have personally learned and grown as a hunter by allowing myself to be influenced by all the "successful" hunters/shooters on here, whom, every one of them, were positive people.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #80
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
Definitely agree on the last part. If I was determined to kill and elk no matter what I'd save 4 or 5 years and go on a guided hunt with a rifle. I'm fortunate to have a good group of hunting buddies that love shooting trad, and my hunting trips are more about hanging out with them I guess. I stay so busy at work and with the day to day routine that is my life I'll spend a thousand bucks just to go to the mountains and leave it home for a while!! Money well spent in my book.
I've done 2 guided hunts with a rifle (1 in Wyoming, 1 in Colorado), and 1 guided trad hunt (Colorado) and am still elkless.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #81
wytex
Six Point

After drawing a nice Wyoming tag you'll see the difference in it and OTC in Colorado, people and pressure.
We even have some nice general areas that if drawn get you hunting in any general area in the state. Additional cow tags are reduced price and generally easier to fill.
I'll fill you all in our elk hunt this fall, a great LQ area that we get to hunt 2 weeks in archery season, Sept 15-30 and rifle from Oct 1-Nov 14. Longbows are the weapon of choice in archery season.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #82
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
After drawing a nice Wyoming tag you'll see the difference in it and OTC in Colorado, people and pressure.
We even have some nice general areas that if drawn get you hunting in any general area in the state. Additional cow tags are reduced price and generally easier to fill.
I'll fill you all in our elk hunt this fall, a great LQ area that we get to hunt 2 weeks in archery season, Sept 15-30 and rifle from Oct 1-Nov 14. Longbows are the weapon of choice in archery season.
Been looking at Wyoming for pronghorn. WY is a hell of a drive from Southern Texas, but I could see flying for pronghorn as I could fly the meat back.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #83
Randy Madden
Ten Point

I grew up in Wyoming and all my immediate family still lives in Sheridan. I go back every couple of years to hunt elk and bear. There is a reason why general tags are general tags. but to draw for better areas is more difficult. Every year the odds decrease on the premium areas. For example the area I’ve been trying to draw for 6 years used to be a 60-70 percentage chance to draw with 3-4 points. Now I have 6 points and my odds are less than 10 percent. (Don’t remember the actual number) and I’m not wasting my points on a lesser area.
Not saying it can’t be done in a general area, we all know it can. But your gonna have to either get lucky on the draw or spend the years putting in and acquiring the points to get a quality tag.

Last edited by Randy Madden; 08-11-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #84
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

Old people use horses or mules.
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #85
scoutman
Eight Point

We put in for points every year but point creep getting worse every year unfortunately. We hunt OTC every year in same unit, worked out for us.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #86
DRT
Pope & Young

It is a gamble. It is a hunt. But I haven't bought a $600 elk tag because it is such a gamble. When we went they were $286 I think. I just want to maximize my chances. I've done the DIY and it was fun. However the pressure was less then.
I applaud those of you brave enough to use the trad bow.
When I go I'm gonna take the easy way out and take my carbon spyder. That said it's still a 11% average any way you slice it.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #87
Cwag
Six Point

Hunt In: pipe creek texas

Guides and outfitters in the vast majority of cases are a glorified taxi service. Never a Guarantee to kill anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cwag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #88
scoutman
Eight Point

We went semi guided for 2 yrs to learn the process, been on our own since 07. Had the chance to guide rifle hunters for 2 seasons out there, learned alot in the process. Hunting elk is easy, it's not hard till one is dead, lol.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #89
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

The draw thing can really bust up your group, and ruin your collective plans.
I'm not interested in that at all.

A little farther drive to get to a better location is no big deal to me.
In the grand scheme of things, Wyoming isn't that much farther for a good OTC area.

Rick
Old 08-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #90
scoutman
Eight Point

Wyoming has always intrigued me, love hunting antelope there. But the big brown bears with no fear of man keep me away. I know the chance of a harmful encounter is slight but I dont have to worry about that where I have 18yrs experience hunting. It is beautiful country and a great state. If they ever start managing those bears, I'd love to go.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #91
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Rick, as far as I know there are no otc tags in Wyoming for non-residents. They are draw only for non-res. However the general tags are very easy nearly 100% chance to draw.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #92
wytex
Six Point

Scoutman we have a grizz season this fall. The grizz are only over in NW part of the state.
Plenty of great elk hunting all over Wyoming, no scary bear issues either.
This fall we have a great elk tag and get to use it for archery and rifle hunting. Does Colorado allow you all to do that?
Antelope hunting, get some PP and apply for an area with good public access. You'll need about 4 PP or so to get into a great area.
I do know some of you have a hard time realizing that public land has good hunting, it does. In many area better than private.
Why not apply for a cow tag at half the cost of a bull tag. Get to know the area while cow hunting for a later bull hunt. You can have up to 2 cow elk licenses in Wyoming, additional tags, plus a bull tag. Some cow tags are on NF and some have private access via HMAs and walk in areas.
South Texas is a heck of a long drive up to here. Closest antelope hunting for you would be in SC Wyoming, Laramie is a 12-13 hr drive from Grapevine, Tx so you're 2 days out at least. Cheyenne, Wy just signed an agreement with American Air for one daily flight from Cheyenne to DFW. I would fly right into Wyoming,skip Denver.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #93
scoutman
Eight Point

No we can't do that in Colorado, I hope that grizz season actually happens read about it on RMEF newsletter. It is needed badly. I dont mind driving, used to be 27hrs to hunt when I lived in Ga. Only 15 now from my new home of Texas. We hunted antelope out of Casper twice, great hunt, great eating. Trout fished the Shoshone river out of Cody for 4 days on horseback, greatest camping trip ever. Nine miles in saw no deer or elk, saw grizzly tracks and saw wolves twice. I hope to hunt Wyoming one day, got to love a state that has more antelope than people.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #94
JEFFRO
Ten Point

My dad had a saying.
you never know a guy till you go hunt'n with them.
Rick, i'd put my name in the pot for this. buy id like to do a rabbit hunt with some folks first. i'm almost 62 and picking my hunting buddys and time spent afield are critical to me.
just don't want to go on a long trip with azz0. and find it out after 12 hours of driving...
just my 2.5 cents worth...
Old 08-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #95
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
I have never gone to the trouble to put in for draws on any hunts. Doubt I will start now.

I'll just find decent OTC places, and run with them as best I can.

Rick
There are Colorado units, that you will have a 100% chance of drawing. Between my father and me, we will have 6 tags this yr. Gonna be a lot of packing.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #96
Caddo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampassas County

Quote:
My dad had a saying.
you never know a guy till you go hunt'n with them.
Rick, i'd put my name in the pot for this. buy id like to do a rabbit hunt with some folks first. i'm almost 62 and picking my hunting buddys and time spent afield are critical to me.
just don't want to go on a long trip with azz0. and find it out after 12 hours of driving...
just my 2.5 cents worth...

Ditto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caddo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #97
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

If you want a youngíun of 35yo, these are the kind of trips I want to start going on. I do practice some geriatric medicine as part of my family medicine training, but Iím not a mortician so I do expect cardiac clearance from your private physician before crossing state lines. 😂😂😂. But in all seriousness, Iíve got about a year or two left then I plan on jumping all over these kinds of DIY trips. You canít gain that experience paying a high dollar guide service.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #98
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I definately qualify for the old fart group. Just turned 64. Would enjoy such a trip. A DIY can surely be done for 1,500 to 1,600 bucks. Have made several trips to western Co. My retirement date is 12-31-2020.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #99
JEFFRO
Ten Point

just got a call from a buddy, otc elk in idaho, he's got his tag and as of monday, there were 352 tags left.. some really good area's up that way,, sam took some great critters out of there...
Old 08-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #100
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
just got a call from a buddy, otc elk in idaho, he's got his tag and as of monday, there were 352 tags left.. some really good area's up that way,, sam took some great critters out of there...
You talking about Sam Stevens ?
If so, he invited me to go up there & hunt with him a few years back.
I just wasn't able to at the time.

Idaho is definitely on my list of (pay close attention to) places to go.
I have an Ex Son In Law who I still think quite highly of (Long Story).
He lives in Mountain Home Idaho, and has been begging me to come up there to hunt with him for years.

Rick