No announcement yet.

Dads and Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have never ridden its really not a good bike to learn on and no amount of in class training will prepare you for whats really out there. Compare it to taking a CHL class.

Since you have 6 kids there is bound to be a few of them who will want to go ride with Dad. Get some dirt bikes for the gang and go have fun & learn together. Race weekends were a blast with friends but none of my girls wanted to ride do I gave up on it to follow their other interests.

Dirt is alot less painful that concrete but trees do move in the woods so beware.

One thing to seriously consider is your employer/insurance or what you do for a living and can you afford to not work for an extended period of time.

Or take out the biggest life insurance policy available & hop on and rip it.

It is a blast.

Comment

Don't do it.

If you do, have healthy amounts of life insurance and disability insurance.

Don't do it.

Comment

Been riding bikes my entire life and I'm 53 now and still alive. The fact is when it's your time is your time. I have a friend in great shape ate right worked out and all and died a few weeks ago from a aneurism and he rode. I will say this take the safety classes and wear a helmet and avod heavy traffic until your comfortable.

Comment

I pretty much quit riding when my son was born. Combination of a few things. Less free time, more distracted drivers on the road than there used to be, and I almost hit a couple of dogs that scared me pretty bad. Also had a lady merge into my lane and nearly hit me. Made me want the safety of a automobile at least until kid is raised.

Comment

I'm 38 and raced minis w my kids till like 3 yrs ago. Just didnt wanta get hurt anymore and miss work. I needed one less hobby anyway. My kids still have their bike. But I'm talking about dirtbikes not street type motorcycles. I will jump the jesus out of a jump 30 60 ft sure...ride a motorcycle on the street...nope not gona happen

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              I pretty much quit riding when my son was born. Combination of a few things. Less free time, more distracted drivers on the road than there used to be, and I almost hit a couple of dogs that scared me pretty bad. Also had a lady merge into my lane and nearly hit me. Made me want the safety of a automobile at least until kid is raised.

Same here, quit riding soon after I married my wife that already had two young boys. Then sold it when my son was born. Not worth the risk, want to be here for my wife and boys. I might get another bike when I get older since I enjoyed it so much.

Comment

Go for it, we all need a way to relax. If you have not ridden before, I would start small first. Buy a used and ride the heck out of it. I laid down my first bike probably 3 times, and not hell raising, it was part of the learning curve like not using the front brake on gravel or wet roads! }
                You also live in a great area, and I would stay on the country roads to the north and east. Get an iPod and stuff some earbuds under the helmet.
                Good luck
                Bert

Comment

I worked with a guy that waited until he got his kids out of school and out of the house to chase his youth with a motorcycle. He doesn't have a leg anymore. Odds are you'd probably be fine. But there's little to no forgiveness on a bike, and it's not you that you have to worry about, it's everybody else. No way I would do it with that many depending on you.

Comment

I used to ride. A lot. Once I had kids I never had time to ride except as transportation for the commute to work which is a stupid risk. My wife and I would try to ride now and then but the free time just wasn’t there. And yes, death or a crippling injury was always in the backs of our minds.

There is the saying that’s it’s not a matter of if you’ll crash one day but when. When I rode I knew several people that were hospitalized from bike crashes, one of which was in his first week of retirement. It left him unable to walk. I unfortunately also knew two people who were killed on their bikes.

With 6 kids depending on you to provide and protect them and lead them and a wife who needs your support, my opinion is that now is not the time to start riding. You could buy the bike and have it winterized for long term storage and then ride after the kids have reached an age where they are somewhat self sufficient, but it would be an unnecessary tragedy for you to get hurt or killed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
                      I'm looking for feedback from dads who either used to ride a motorcycle or currently ride.

I've always wanted a bike and have always told my FIL when he is ready to sell his bike, I'd buy it. It's a beautiful 97 softail custom. Gorgeous bike. Well, the time has come. He told me about 8 months he'll be selling the bike before he moves. I've been working on my wife since, she is not a fan of the idea at all however, we've come to an agreement that there will be a lot of training before I'm on the road, safety gear, no alcohol and riding and a few other things but, she has given me the thumbs up.

Her biggest fear is and has been death, followed by being crippled. Fair points.

My quandary at this point is should I be riding a bike. We have six kids, all are 9 and under. My wife stays at home. Life ins. could be increased a little. But, now that there are no barriers I honestly feel guilty about the decision. I feel I'm being irresponsible.

My intent for getting a bike is not to commute but for the weekends. I'd like to go on a morning ride, or during nap time take off for an hour. Maybe bigger group rides in the future.

I know this is an individual decision but I'd still like feedback from others. TIA.
                      Listen to your gut

In my personal view life is lived in stages. The stage of life you are at now, with kids and a wife under your roof that are dependant upon you, is NOT one of the stages of life that should involve you owning a form of transportation that brings about a HIGHER chance that you die an early death in an auto accident.

Comment

I rode motorcycles most of my life until I sold my last one 3 years ago. I've missed it ever since. Just know your chance of being injured or dying will increase on a motorcycle vs a vehicle. Also know it's a great feeling to be on a hogg with the wind in your face. I've had more great times than I can count with my wife and friends riding our bike. I've also been to several funerals of friends, and family who were killed while riding. You can do everything safe and correct and still get run over by an idiot that just doesn't see you. I prayed every time I got on my bike that I would make it back safely. I'm very blessed to have survived all my years riding. I had several close calls and a couple bad injuries, but I survived. The truth is I would do it all again.

Comment

No way!

Comment

Not a chance in Hades. Haven’t been on once since the kids were born. When the last one is gone I’ll get back on. In my opinion riding with little kids is just plain selfish. Find something else to use for relaxation that doesn’t gamble so much of your kids future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think owning a motorcycle makes you irresponsible. I am surprised to see so many responses here saying that. I ride with a lot of guys with wives and kids (well did before my health went to crap, not motorcycle related). Riding irresponsibly makes you irresponsible. Riding within your limits, within the laws, and while wearing proper and adequate safety gear is not irresponsible.

Having a few beers after the hunt and driving home while texting your wife and buddies is more irresponsible .

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
                                That's just BS. Im 54 have 3 kids and ride every chance i get. I can feel the stress melt away when i hope on the bike. Take a rider safety course and you'll be fine. I've ridden most of my adult life. It's not something i want to do but have to, much like hunting. Most non riders just don't get it
                                X2

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X