Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txdeerhunter243 View Post
    Headed west tomorrow for a four day weekend. Weather looks to be pretty nice.

Saw good activity last weekend. Still haven't seen a whitetail that I was interested in yet. Killed 3 hogs and my dad killed a decent sika.
    Sweet man! Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Buck I filmed this past Thursday. I’m just not mad enough at them any more to blast a 120+/- inch whitetail with a rifle. I suppose it would have been different with a bow in hand.

Last edited by 2coolforschool; 12-16-2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
        Buck I filmed this past Thursday. I’m just not mad enough at them any more to blast a 120+/- inch whitetail with a rifle. I suppose it would have been different with a bow in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWg...ature=youtu.be
        Good looking buck there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txdeerhunter243 View Post
          Great pics Patton!
          I also use timed protein feeders.The elk and aoudad wipe them out too quickly when it's freely "on-demand". If undisturbed, packs of aoudad and cow elk will just hang around the protein feeders for hours gorging themselves lol.
          When you say timed protein feeders, are you talking about feeding protein from a regular feeder and spinner plate?

Comment

Are these exotics free range out there or is this high fence? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
              Are these exotics free range out there or is this high fence? Just curious.

Edwards County has one of the largest populations of free-range exotics in Texas. There are plenty of high fence ranches. But that’s why so many guys hunt in this area.. even on low fence leases, you never know what will walk out in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
                When you say timed protein feeders, are you talking about feeding protein from a regular feeder and spinner plate?
                Yes and no. The ones in my pics have a regular spinner plate that is fully enclosed inside the protein hopper/tubes. When it spins, it throws protein that falls down the tubes.

If you put protein in a normal tripod type feeder with a normal spin plate, you run the risk of it clogging. An eliminator plate helps some with protein clogging from moisture but it can still happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  Yes and no. The ones in my pics have a regular spinner plate that is fully enclosed inside the protein hopper/tubes. When it spins, it throws protein that falls down the tubes.

If you put protein in a normal tripod type feeder with a normal spin plate, you run the risk of it clogging. An eliminator plate helps some with protein clogging from moisture but it can still happen.

I’ve also found that animals don’t prefer to eat protein off the ground when it’s scattered like corn. They prefer to eat it from a pile (tube, trough, etc). Just my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                    I’ve also found that animals don’t prefer to eat protein off the ground when it’s scattered like corn. They prefer to eat it from a pile (tube, trough, etc). Just my experience.

I agree. Although our normal feeders throw a mix that includes protein and it’s almost always eaten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      I agree. Although our normal feeders throw a mix that includes protein and it’s almost always eaten up.
                      What brand protein do you feed? I am planning to start feeding on my place mostly to keep the exotics nearby and I am looking for suggestions.

Mummies and L&E have a 16% Wildlife feed that is low in copper and safe for the Aoudad as I understand it. Might try this.

Comment

A friend of mine was out at his lease near Vance week before last (lease my dad and I also used to be on) and saw ONE deer (a doe) in 4 days of hunting. I don’t know what’s going on out there. I remember when you would see 8 - 15 or more deer a hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          A friend of mine was out at his lease near Vance week before last (lease my dad and I also used to be on) and saw ONE deer (a doe) in 4 days of hunting. I don’t know what’s going on out there. I remember when you would see 8 - 15 or more deer a hunt.

Wow that’s probably rare. We still see tons of deer every hunt. But we’re not in Vance. We’re west of Rocksprings. Still hard to believe for that area!

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                            Wow that’s probably rare. We still see tons of deer every hunt. But we’re not in Vance. We’re west of Rocksprings. Still hard to believe for that area!

Right? The last few years they’ve been killing better deer but not seeing near as many as they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                              What brand protein do you feed? I am planning to start feeding on my place mostly to keep the exotics nearby and I am looking for suggestions.

Mummies and L&E have a 16% Wildlife feed that is low in copper and safe for the Aoudad as I understand it. Might try this.
                              What brand of protein is NOT safe for aoudad? I'd pay extra for that!!

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                                What brand of protein is NOT safe for aoudad? I'd pay extra for that!!

Hahahaha. I haven’t killed a big one yet but I’ve heard they can be a menace!

Comment

Working...
                                X