Need Advice on Building an Off-Road Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice on Building an Off-Road Trailer

I am wanting to build a trailer to pull behind my Ranger. I have Ranger tires and wheels with a bolt pattern of 4-156 that I want to use on the trailer.

Anyone know where to find a short axle (42+/- inch axle) with hubs to fit the 4-156 ATV wheels??

Have you thought about torsion axles? I going to build one to pull behind my grizz with them.

SOUTHWEST WHEEL® is a distributor of steel truck wheels, trailer parts, trailer axles, hitches, brake controllers, and more. Catering to all major Texas cities such as Dallas, Lubbock, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Midland, and Waco, and ship nation wide.

Comment

Looked at them, a bit high. Still the problem is finding a hub with a 4-156 bolt pattern.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken on the ones from northern you can build the hubs to spec. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I'll be following along cause I've got a lot of 2" square tubing I could use on my build.

Comment

I was was going to suggest what stan put up. Buy hubs off a wrecked one if you can find one, cut axle to length from channel iron or similar and weld spring perches

Comment

Rick Nolan,

email me the specs on that axle and I will see if I can order it in for you sir.

Thanks

Comment

Rick Nolan,

email me the specs on that axle and I will see if I can order it in for you sir.

Thanks
              Email sent Charles and thanks.

Rick

Comment

Do a search for ATV trailer and my user name. These use the torsion axles from Northern Tool. They have survived two years on a really rugged ranch. We load them with 700# of corn and go anywhere an ATV will go. The rear panel is hinged. To load a deer just drop the rear panel, stand in the trailer and drag it in. One person job.

As far as the Polaris wheels with 4 X 156 bolt pattern I built some adapter plates from 1/4" plate to adapt these wheels to the 4 X 4 bolt pattern of the Northern Tool hubs. I used 3/8" flat head bolts to connect the adapter plate to the rim. To mount these on the torsion axles I have to install them with the valve stem to the inside due to the offset in the Polaris rims.

I am in the process of building another trailer with ATV tires and a straight axle. This will be a flatbed to move blinds and feeders but can also be used for corn.

This has been a much better answer for us than keeping several ragged trucks running.

Comment

When I built my trailer. I had wheel adapters made that went from 4X4" to 4X110mm for my Honda wheels. That allowed me to use what ever axle I wanted that had 4" hubs. Let me know if you want to know where I got the adapters made.

Matt

Comment

I would like to see the adapters you had made. On Honda 4x110 rims I usually cut the center hole larger to fit the NT hubs and slot the bolt holes to fit the 4x 4 bolt pattern.

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                    When I built my trailer. I had wheel adapters made that went from 4X4" to 4X110mm for my Honda wheels. That allowed me to use what ever axle I wanted that had 4" hubs. Let me know if you want to know where I got the adapters made.

Matt

Comment

I had them made at ezaccessory.com. I got mine 2 inches thick so it would tighten up agains the wheel due to the ring around the grease zirt cup being so tall. I'll send you pictures.

Comment

Working...
                      X