Lake Buchanan Jug Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Buchanan Jug Lines

Those of you setting jug lines in lake Buchanan. What are you setting them with? We have always set them with perch, but the bite on them has slowed down, and we’re having a hard time finding enough perch to set 20-30 lines. Thinking about a perch trap but unsure of the legality.

You can’t trap perch.

Comment

Shad, the biggest freshest ones you can find.
      Cut carp/buffalo.
      Chicken hearts will catch most of the year and they are cheap.
      Perch should be cooperative, I'm surprised you aren't catching all you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        You can’t trap perch.
        False.

Comment

I believe the Trap openings can not be any bigger that 3” tall and 1” wide. Cram white bread in the center for bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The headings are misleading, but perch are non-game fish, legal to take in trap provided it is legal overall sized, legal throat size, and marked with a gear tag. As posted above.

Comment

Why do they have to make it so difficult?

Comment

Perch traps are easy to build once you get the first one done. They can be no bigger than 2'x2'x2'. And as stated above, the mouth or opening can be no larger than 3"x1". They also have to have a gear tag just like jug lines and trot-lines. And follow the same time limits. A 25' x36" roll of mesh will build you two 2'x2'x1' traps. And leave enough for an 18"x1'x1' trap. The 2x2x1 traps I build have 4 entrances, and a center bait holder that can be accessed from the outside top. Building is a whole lot cheaper than buying one!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                  You can’t trap perch.
                  Wrong.

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                  False.
                  Word

Comment

The perch just started moving up the last 2-3 weeks, you should be able to catch them with trap.

Comment

If I were setting jugs on Buch I would set them in front of white bluff ,between the shore and the river channel. North end of the lake

Comment

Am I the only one who is seeing the words "For use in salt water only"? Or am I missing something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                          Am I the only one who is seeing the words "For use in salt water only"? Or am I missing something else?
                          You are correct. You can trap perch but the trap has to be labled a minnow trap. I just googled it because thats how I read it also. 2'x2' on size and 1"x3" on openeng. Plenty big to get perch in

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                            You are correct. You can trap perch but the trap has to be labled a minnow trap. I just googled it because thats how I read it also. 2'x2' on size and 1"x3" on openeng. Plenty big to get perch in
                            Got it. Thanks.

Comment

Pan fish= bluegills, shell crackers, green sunfish(goggle eyes) warmouthes and other sunfish in Texas aren't regulated at all. Catch them however u wish! trap seine cane pole.

Comment

Working...
                              X