30 years of bow hunting thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am guilty of taking the fun out of my archery as most I read on forums are as well ( we read something and start to over think it ) I can remember my first kill when I was 12 with a 50# PSE nova, aluminum Easton arrows topped with thunderheads, 3 sight pins that I painted the ends with my moms fingernail polish so I could see them better, and a few survey ribbons that I tied on limbs to help mark my yardage, and killed deer every year.

Fast forward about 13 years and numerous bows later and I find my self in Wyoming shooting with guys that practice at 100 plus yards everyday , the long range, long stabalizers and dove tail sights and back tension releases where all new to me, I was a simple tree stand hunter where 30 yards was about as far as I shot. Well that year I spent almost everyday after work shooting 3D and learned a lot from a group of guys that pushed the limits of their equipment, and it became an obsession and passion.

Moving back to Texas around 03' I brought the ideas back with me that I needed to duplicate what we did on the side of elk mountain down here in the post oak. I bought , sold, and traded bows through the years because I thought I loved tuning and tinkering with my equipment in search of that ultimate setup. When in fact I would get a bow shooting as good as it could in my hands only to swap for something else thinking I could make it as good or better, and it was fun, but for some reason for me at least the most simple setups seemed to be the most enjoyable for me, because I never had to worry about " is that enough FOC to kill a deer, or I have to shoot a 12" stab and side bar to be accurate " . I catch myself I think out of Boredom searching the forums asking and looking for that next great thing, when in fact it's been the keep it simple theory the whole time. I've owned every bow manufacturer out there and numerous by each, I've shot a boat load of different rest / sight / stab / arrows ( you get the point ) and for me the less I have to worry about the better off I am.

Ok I know I'm rambling on but what I wanted to pass on to those interested in listening is let the bow pick you, shoot the sight that you like, buy the arrows that fit you budget, pick your broad heads that have a proven track record and shoot it, as a matter of fact shoot it a lot, practice with what fits you and your budget and enjoy the sport, don't get caught up in what the new marketing ploy is or what the guy on tv shoots. Most bow shops sell what they have on the shelf because that's what sells it doesn't mean it's the best.

30 years of bow hunting and spending a 401k on equipment I picked up a bow a few months ago and literally sighted it in and went hunting with it ( this is not like me ) well I found myself last night in my shop enjoying every arrow I shot , out of probably one of the slowest newer bows made, a Mathews htr, a single pin Hha , qad rest, and a little old school limbsaver Scoil screwed up front. Although I was only shooting at 10 yards in the shop it felt good to consistently slap arrows. Not once did it cross my mind to chrono my setup, weigh my arrows , or find my FOC to only start taking things apart again because " it's not what they say I have to use, or it won't work good " it brought me back to when I was a kid , when I would set up my bow and leave it alone , Shoot it all year and have confidence in it.

Shoot what you like, have confidence in your setup and keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now go traditional. Don't get much simpler than that.

Comment

And a big AMEN to that!!

42 years here.

Comment

I too found myself over analyzing things that involved every aspect of bowhunting for me. It sucked the fun out of it, caused me to constantly be looking for the "next thing" and almost lost the fun aspect that got me hooked on bowhunting in the first place. I really went back to my roots the last couple of years and I have had some of the most successful seasons of my Life. Prime example - I would park 3/4 to a mile out from stands, would over analyze deer movement instead of just hunting, would CONSTANTLY be tuning something on my bow, adjusting this adjusting that. 2 years ago I bought a road feeder. Now I corn and park maybe at most 100 yards away, and still see the same deer. Been shooting he same bow for 5-6 years and don't see myself changing anytime soon.
        Last edited by TheHammer; 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Yep I remember those painted pins and shooting fingers.
          Good times they were!

Comment

I showed my kids my old sight with brass pins and painted tips. They couldn't believe it.

Comment

I used to get all tied up into the technical stuff and change everything all the time... but then I realized it doesn’t need to be so complicated/expensive.. so now i shoot a 5 year old bow, a cheap gold tip arrow, and broadheads I have confidence in and kill everything just as dead as when I was chasing the next best thing

Comment

37 years here & I still have most of compound bows I purchased.
                (Don't know why, Guess i am a hoarder)
                1986 PSE - Sure Flite
                1991-ist PSE Fire Flite
                1990 Bear Long bow - Black Widow I think...
                2007-ish Browning Illusion
                I was constantly working arrows and gear. Remember overdraws?
                Have a box of old sights and pins, many things I can't remember what they did.

I drug the Browning out of retirement this year, Found 6 arrows that the fletching did not disintegrate when fired & went out and killed a good 9 point over New Years.

No worries or pressure

Comment

Thats a good write up Rocket and oh so true

Comment

Good perspective, and well written

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                        Now go traditional. Don't get much simpler than that.
                        I made the leap and I'm enjoying archery's challenges a new and loving it.

Comment

Thanks for your valuable insight Rocket. Thinking about it I realize that I started bow hunting about 30 years ago myself. Gone through several bows, countless arrows and Lord knows what else in that time. I am still passionate about this type of hunting and always look forward to the next time I can go hunt. Thanks to an overabundance of hogs we can now pretty much hunt year round instead of hanging our bows up until next August when it would otherwise be time to start getting ready for the upcoming deer season. I hope that I can still draw my bow back for as long as I am able to get out into the deer woods. It just never gets old and my heart still pounds every time I see something to sling an arrow at.

Comment

26 yrs of bow hunting only here

Comment

I began how hunting at 55yrs. old, in 2006 with a Browning Rage, which I used until 2015. Harvested deer and hogs every season, even a black bear 2014 with it.
                              I wanted another bow and ended up buying the 2015 Diamond Infinite Edge Pro, another low end deal. I like it, it's light, compact and it has performed and produced well for me each year.
                              Still love my Rage, but mainly practice with it to keep it ready as a backup!
                              Yeah, I know, I'm a babe at this bow hunting at 67 now, compared to many here. I've been successful though which makes it even that more enjoyable!
                              Last edited by psicoo; 02-03-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X