Help, 6x6 post cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, 6x6 post cracked

I have this 6x6 post cracked. Any suggestions on something to use to keep insects out and possibly keep it from splitting more. It was like this when I bought the house. It’s about a 7 foot long crack. And prolly 2 inches deep in some spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new 6x6. You a builder?

Comment

That looks pretty significant. Porch awning/roof support? Is so, I would buy a new 6x6 post, and replace the existing one. You can use a floor jack to take the weight off the post while you replace it.

Comment

Metal plate either side with bolts ran through or just replace it!

Comment

Might want to scab a 2 x 6 on that side, full length to help.

Maybe some metal plates, like the joist-hanger brand. I think they make some big size plate that you just hammer on.

As far as insects, just run some liquid nails or wood filler in it.

Comment

bolt a band around it drawing it back together ( if possible) fill crack with epoxy

Comment

From the pic it looks like the post was set in the ground and then the cement poured. Going to be hard to replace it like it is.

My suggestion would be to drill and but some large bolts with large washers to close the crack if possible and then cap the entire post with something like Redwood or cedar to make it look nice, but you will have to countersink the bolts to make the cedar or redwood fit and look nice.

Might be able to as mentioned above and use a jack and a 4x4 to lessen the load and see if you can get it out and replace it.

That post looks like a treated lumber post and those have a way of warping or splitting.
              No matter what you do, I would not use treated for supports like that, only Cedar or Redwood, especially if they are going to be exposed and not capped with 1x Cedar or Redwood for aesthetic purposes.

Comment

buy a new post, cut to length. Get a floor jack and piece of pipe or 2x4 and jack up the fascia 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Take old post out and slide in the new post.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                  buy a new post, cut to length. Get a floor jack and piece of pipe or 2x4 and jack up the fascia 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Take old post out and slide in the new post.
                  To me that post is not sitting on the concrete. Look closely at the right side of the post near the ground. Looks like it goes into the ground below the concrete.

Comment

Dapp

Comment

It does look like it may be setting down in the cement. If so, that wasnt a very smart move. If it is you can still use the jack/pipe, then use a chain saw to cut out the bad post. sand it down to the slab and put it the new post

Comment

Looks treated, so insects shouldn’t be an issue. Like mudslinger suggested, put in some all thread and big washers and ratchet it down and then cut off the all thread at the bolt. I like the idea of cedar or redwood planks to cover the posts.

Comment

Best bet and easiest/cheapest in the long run is to replace it now. Or you could put about 4 split bolts in it, then still replace it in a few years.

Comment

Like others have said juck up and support the roof, but then I bet you can cut the post in half and pull it out of the ground. Take a tractor Jack and a chain and pull the post out of the ground, the dig a hole and set a new post.

Comment

I wouldn't do a thing to it except apply some stain/sealer. Let it ride and replace it in 15-20 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X